Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #861
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Last night had nothing to do with any of the dmen or forwards. It is 100% on Elliot. The Ducks had what 1 shot in the first 11 minutes of the 3rd period? The Flames weren't attacking as much but they still had more chances than the Ducks in that stretch of the 3rd. They also were playing perfect D, getting pucks out when they had the chance, making sure the Ducks had no easy entries.

I don't blame them for sitting back a bit when you see your goalie give up 2 bad goals, they are probably thinking Elliott doesn't have it tonight (even on the saves he did make) and thought it was better to play on the side of caution rather than get the forwards/defense active on the forcheck. You know any odd man rush for the Ducks probably would have resulted in a goal with the way Elliott was handling muffins from the outside.

It just sucks that Elliott decided to have his worst game of the season when the team was firing on all cylinders. When you see that as a player its a complete kick in the junk and completely changes whether you should continue to attack or focus on playing D.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #862
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
I think Bartkowski and Engelland got all that ice-time late in the third last night because Hamilton was clearly hurt. If Gulutzan could adapt he should've swapped Hamitlon for Engelland and iced only two pairings for the rest of the game. But as we've seen, Gulutzan wants that damn square peg to do what it's told.
Hamilton played more than Bart and Eng combined in the third.
Hamilton's TOI also increased from the second to the third, while Bart and Eng dropped.

Hamilton had 4 shifts in the last 5 minutes for a combined total of 1:59
Bart and Eng had one shift in the last 5 minutes, one 16 second shift, for a combined total as a pair of 32 seconds. This was in the 15th minute, they did not see the ice after this shift.

But as we've seen, some fans have a narrative to drive.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 04-18-2017 at 12:17 PM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #863
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You haven't backed it up with video evidence, what you've shown is one of the most absolutely classic examples of confirmation bias.

Our third pairing and fourth line is not worse than the Ducks' currently. It's fairly common knowledge around the NHL that third pairings and fourth lines are the worst parts of every single team. That's primarily why they're played the least, it's why they're the fourth, not the third, second, or first.

Just how little did you want them to play? As it stands right now, Bouma and Stajan are the 7th and 9th least played forwards in the entire NHL, of all players who have played 3 games. The only other team that has two forwards in the bottom 10 is Anaheim (with NYR not far behind).

What about Bart and Eng? Surprise, they're the third least played pairing in the entire NHL right now.

There is no damning evidence that points towards overuse of the bottom pairing or fourth line. I'm not sure what your theory is on exactly how much they should be played, but there's little evidence from NHL coaches anywhere in the league that supports your vision of how to roll lines.
Confirmation bias is seeking evidence that confirms pre-conceived opinion. Fancy use of an internet catch phrase, but it is not an applicable use in this situation.

I broke down each goal scored by the Ducks this series, and determined that the cause of the majority is, (lo and behold) our bottom pairing and/or our fourth line.

That is NOT confirmation bias. That is evidence that supports that our third pairing and fourth line need to play less.

Bingo also did a more detailed analysis looking at player deployment over the entire season, with much the same conclusion.

Again, it comes back to my point that deployment league wide of players is irrelevant (which I think you missed). The Flames have who they have to utilize.

It doesn't matter that Engelland and Bartkowski are the third least played, if their combined play routinely results in a goal against. That means they need to be the LEAST played, or we need different players. Not that since everyone else plays their third pairing XX minutes a night, and if we play ours less, then we are doing it right. Look at the results, not the averages league wide.

If the players you have are costing you games, you need to play them less, or ensure that their play does not detrimentally impact the team. There is zero excuse for starting a period, or coming back after a goal with the fourth line or third pairing, all you are doing is handing the other team momentum on a plate.

What reason is there, when protecting a one goal lead with less than five minutes remaining in a must win game, that you put your third pairing on the ice. Give me a reason. One. Single. Reason.

Pretty tough? I agree. The Flames are being out coached.

Sorry Pepsi, you are out to lunch on this one.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #864
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Hamilton played more than Bart and Eng combined in the third.
Hamilton's TOI also increased from the second to the third, while Bart and Eng dropped.

Hamilton had 4 shifts in the last 5 minutes for a combined total of 1:59
Bart and Eng had one shift in the last 5 minutes, one 16 second shift, for a combined total as a pair of 32 seconds. This was in the 15th minute, they did not see the ice after this shift.

But as we've seen, some fans have a narrative to drive.
Right and that only shift they had, they got scored on. Which is kind of the point I'm getting at here.

But it's just a narrative. Carry on.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 04-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #865
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That loss was almost as soul crushing as the game 7 no-show vs. the Ducks in 2006. Looking back at all the horrible moments in Flames playoff history over the last 30+ years: multiple 1st round exits, bizarre curses, blown calls, mental fragility, iffy goaltending...goddammit, it's been tough. Being a fan of this franchise is not an easy thing, and yet every October we throw the jersey on and get right back on the train. We're a hearty bunch, that's for sure.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #866
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They allowed 9 shots in the third and OT combined...3 of them went in

"there's your problem"

people talk like the Flames were on the ropes or something, its just not true
This

People act like it was a shooting gallery and the Flames were hemmed into their own zone the whole time.

That wasn't the case at all and I honestly can't remember a big save that Elliott made that made me think it was a bad breakdown.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #867
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Right and that only shift they had, they got scored on. Which is kind of the point I'm getting at here.

But it's just a narrative. Carry on.
And here I thought there were 4 other Flames on the ice while Engelland took his man and cleared the way for Elliott to let in a softie from the point.

You're right though. This is on Gulutzan for being such a hapless coach. Playing his bottom pairing for a 1:15 in the last ten minutes? What was he thinking. That monster!

I mean, Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, and Stone haven't had a bad word said about them in this series, so they clearly should've played the third period alone.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #868
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

And for the record, I'm certainly not defending Elliott. He was all kinds of awful last night.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #869
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I thought the refs called a good game last night, but it was interesting that Bieksa got away with this elbow to the head to a player already down on the ice considering Brodie got that crosschecking to Kesler at the end of game 2:

Link
https://gfycat.com/WarmSecretIberianbarbel
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #870
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I thought the refs called a good game last night, but it was interesting that Bieksa got away with this elbow to the head to a player already down on the ice considering Brodie got that crosschecking to Kesler at the end of game 2:

Link
Wow.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #871
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Link
Would be hard to call bieksa on that when he didn't get the call after being hit from behind on Bennett.

Also at this point I am essentially convinced that gaudreau is thought of extremely poorly by NHL officials league wide.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #872
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks AC. Great. Just great.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #873
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm not mad. Just disappointed.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #874
KingMoo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Surprised Bieksa played after that hit. Hopefully he'll be gone for the next
KingMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:59 PM   #875
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I blame the Flames lackluster results over the past two decades on lackluster jersey design.

The had great success in the 80s with their retros, and could've possibly won multiple cups if it wasn't for the stinkin' Oilers. Flames change to nice ones for the 2004 season, and it brought them to a goal away from the Stanley Cup. Also earned division champs to the following season.

Better designed unis next season = more success. Ken King - Please Read.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #876
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Link

That looks like intent to injure.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #877
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Link
Un####ingbelievable
Old 04-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #878
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Link
What the ####. Spineless ape.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #879
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

MOD EDIT: No.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 04-18-2017 at 09:29 PM.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #880
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just saw some stats that made me cry.

2016-2017 Season stats:
Calgary W% leading after 2 periods - 97.1% (33-0-1)
Anaheim W% trailing after 2 periods - 7.1% (2-19-7)
Samiz is offline   Reply With Quote