Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #121
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took me a while to finish as I'm a completionist and it became a chore to finish this game as I would go days without wanting to play it but I had to see it through. At the end of the day this game is proof that critics get things wrong as I don't understand how anyone could give this game 10/10 given the gameplay itself was as generic as you will see lacking any variety. The gameplay boiled down to spending hours looting abandoned buildings mixed with the odd repetitive encounter against zombies or humans and after about 15 hours it felt like a chore to get see things through. It's one thing to sit and watch a depressing movie for a couple of hours and another to spend 25-30 hours or more playing a depressing downer of a game. Games still need to have an element of fun and there's very little here once you get into the repetitive cycle of moving from one environment to the other. After the credits rolled I realized that the best ending for the first game was for Joel to let the doctors operate on Ellie because letting her live was bad for everyone including gamers that were hoping for a sequel that was at least on the same level of the first game.

This game will get all the glory but Days Gone was a far superior game.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 12:38 AM   #122
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Took me a while to finish as I'm a completionist and it became a chore to finish this game as I would go days without wanting to play it but I had to see it through. At the end of the day this game is proof that critics get things wrong as I don't understand how anyone could give this game 10/10 given the gameplay itself was as generic as you will see lacking any variety. The gameplay boiled down to spending hours looting abandoned buildings mixed with the odd repetitive encounter against zombies or humans and after about 15 hours it felt like a chore to get see things through. It's one thing to sit and watch a depressing movie for a couple of hours and another to spend 25-30 hours or more playing a depressing downer of a game. Games still need to have an element of fun and there's very little here once you get into the repetitive cycle of moving from one environment to the other. After the credits rolled I realized that the best ending for the first game was for Joel to let the doctors operate on Ellie because letting her live was bad for everyone including gamers that were hoping for a sequel that was at least on the same level of the first game.

This game will get all the glory but Days Gone was a far superior game.

I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on the gameplay in the first game, if you played it.

After playing part 1 and part 2 back to back I feel really strongly that the sequel surpasses the original in everything gameplay related.

Divisive game no doubt, but I can easily see why so many people gave it a 10/10. This game pushes the genre forward and will talked about for years to come. I didn’t find it anywhere near as bleak as you did either. There was plenty of touching moments and even humor to properly balance and pace the game.

I wonder if the “completionist” style of gameplay might have slowed things down for you? I took my time, but didn’t search every nook and cranny and found it moved at a great pace.

The enemy encounters have a ton of variety based on how you want to play the game too. The combat was extremely varied from my perspective and the encounters are often broken up by story, platforming, mild puzzle solving, or big action set pieces.

That’s video games, it’s cool to see how we had such different experiences with the same game. Easily my game of the year so far.

I tried Days Gone, but couldn’t push through it as I found it extremely repetitive and similar to most open world games except with blah characters and weak writing.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:08 AM   #123
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I thought the mass exodus was because of the crunch on this game.

Which i always find so ridiculous as a thing to complain about... you make video games for a living. Yeah, sometimes there are going to be long hours where you work until midnight for weeks straight... apparently every few years, for Naughty Dog, when they're finishing a big project like this one. Well... welcome to the world. I do that multiple times a year, every time I have a hearing or a significant deadline. There are lots of jobs that have demanding periods like that.
I think most of the crunch / deadline type issues in those creative type industries are self-made. We’re watching the Frozen II making of and it’s ridiculous. They were working on the movie for like 4 years and did 80% of the work in the last 9 months before it came out. Not sure what they were doing the rest of the time before that...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:34 AM   #124
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think most of the crunch / deadline type issues in those creative type industries are self-made. We’re watching the Frozen II making of and it’s ridiculous. They were working on the movie for like 4 years and did 80% of the work in the last 9 months before it came out. Not sure what they were doing the rest of the time before that...
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I worked on a show where for the Christmas episode we had it finished and the creators of the show decided at the last minute they wanted the Christmas tree to look different. So we had to wait for the modeling department to change it, the animators to update their scenes, and then rush to render and comp it on time.

Then there was another show where not only did the ocean system we used randomly flip out but for some reason the modeling department fell behind and put us way behind schedule. That pissed me off because I was trying to get back into the modeling department and they could have easily got people with modeling experience to help out. We pretty much spent 4-6 weeks just sitting with nothing to do and waiting for shots and then barely met the deadline. That was the worst experience I've had so far. I basically had an hour or two to myself before having to go to bed to do it all over again. There was alot of weekend OT and alot of bickering at each other.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #125
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on the gameplay in the first game, if you played it.

After playing part 1 and part 2 back to back I feel really strongly that the sequel surpasses the original in everything gameplay related.

Divisive game no doubt, but I can easily see why so many people gave it a 10/10. This game pushes the genre forward and will talked about for years to come. I didn’t find it anywhere near as bleak as you did either. There was plenty of touching moments and even humor to properly balance and pace the game.

I wonder if the “completionist” style of gameplay might have slowed things down for you? I took my time, but didn’t search every nook and cranny and found it moved at a great pace.

The enemy encounters have a ton of variety based on how you want to play the game too. The combat was extremely varied from my perspective and the encounters are often broken up by story, platforming, mild puzzle solving, or big action set pieces.

That’s video games, it’s cool to see how we had such different experiences with the same game. Easily my game of the year so far.

I tried Days Gone, but couldn’t push through it as I found it extremely repetitive and similar to most open world games except with blah characters and weak writing.
The thing about the first game is that it was the first experience in this universe. Joel and Ellie were extremely compelling characters trying to navigate through this new world of clickers, runners and people surviving in a post apocalyptic world. Also I don't think gameplay was ever a strong suit of the original as it was polished and just good enough to be a vessel for the story. You wanted to keep going to see if Joel and Ellie could make a go of it in this world together.

This sequel didn't bring much new to the gameplay which as I stated before was not the strength of the first game so you are left with this bitter revenge story featuring unlikeable characters (I think someone noted in previous posts the only likeable character was Dina to which I agree) that you don't really care about unlike the first game where Joel and Ellie were dear to our hearts. The first half of the game was not as good as the original but still very good until the halfway mark where things take a turn for the worse.

Spoiler!

Another note is that Naughty Dog really needs to get away from the time shifting thing that's starting to creep into their games. There were several times in this game where they abruptly go back in time and those moments largely don't work because you know the future already and you just want to power through to get back to the main storyline.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-16-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:57 AM   #126
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I beat TLOU2 over the weekend.

Thought it was an amazing game that is worthy of praise - it's definitely one of the best games to come out on the PS4.

The graphics, gameplay, music and animations were all top notch.
I thought the story was pretty good as well (not quite as a good as TLOU 1), and a touch long, but it wasn't bad and full of plot holes (like the vocal minority seems to think on the internet).
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #127
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The thing about the first game is that it was the first experience in this universe. Joel and Ellie were extremely compelling characters trying to navigate through this new world of clickers, runners and people surviving in a post apocalyptic world. Also I don't think gameplay was ever a strong suit of the original as it was polished and just good enough to be a vessel for the story. You wanted to keep going to see if Joel and Ellie could make a go of it in this world together.

This sequel didn't bring much new to the gameplay which as I stated before was not the strength of the first game so you are left with this bitter revenge story featuring unlikeable characters (I think someone noted in previous posts the only likeable character was Dina to which I agree) that you don't really care about unlike the first game where Joel and Ellie were dear to our hearts. The first half of the game was not as good as the original but still very good until the halfway mark where things take a turn for the worse.

Spoiler!

Another note is that Naughty Dog really needs to get away from the time shifting thing that's starting to creep into their games. There were several times in this game where they abruptly go back in time and those moments largely don't work because you know the future already and you just want to power through to get back to the main storyline.
I totally see where you are coming from- all valid critiques, but it seems most of your issues with the game stem from the characters and story.

Spoiler!

In terms of gameplay in comparison to the first one the sequel surpasses it in every way. For the most part this game avoided lame puzzles to break up the action (why couldn't Ellie swim in the first game?). The environments were much larger with sprawling paths which give the player the choice on how to attack each situation.

In basically every encounter you can choose to go completely stealth, go in guns blazing, just sneak by, or a combination of all of the above. Ellie as a character is much more nimble than Joel was. Jumping, running, and going prone totally change the encounters. The first game is basically a real loose controlling cover shooter.

The lack of resources really put a survival horror spin on this one and make every encounter feel like you're just getting by. I had multiple times where i had to throw a bottle to stun the last enemy and charge at them with a melee to finish them off. The AI is also way smarter than the first game (although not perfect), making playing stealth much more fun. The little things like how the call out the names of their friends really adds a realistic feel to everything. I found it very satisfying when you have one bullet left and are able to pull off a clean headshot. The way these mechanics and production value comes together just works for me.

Certain combat sequences surprised me with the level of detail in the animations as well such as being pulled out from under a truck when you're hiding or feeding a runner to clicker in order to escape. The attention to detail in each interaction including the animation of Ellie's face when she is taking somebody out is unparalleled. Each kill has an impact on her it feels like.

I also didn't have an issue with any of the flashbacks- I was always excited to play them to get a greater sense of where these characters came from and especially to see what had happened between Joel and Ellie in between games. I found these moments were usually heartwarming and really broke up the violence and bleakness of the main path.
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #128
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I think there's no argument against TLOU2 being a technical achievement. It looks great, it sounds great, and all of the motions feel incredibly realistic.

That said, when you look at the gameplay from a functional level, they didn't really do anything unexpected or interesting. It plays exactly like you expect a Naughty Dog game to play, and didn't improve much on the experience of TLOU1 (though I did find much of the play more seamless, which is a worthy improvement). Naughty Dog has a formula, and it's not one I'm particularly a huge fan of. Don't mind it, but I don't think it's better than any of the common formulas you see with Ubisoft, or Sucker Punch, or Rockstar. It just is what it is, and if you like it, you like it, but you know exactly what to expect.

Story-wise I sit closer to EE. I didn't find it bleak necessarily, there was some levity, I just didn't care about any of these people. Joel was the emotional driver of the first one, and they did a good job of setting up his reason for being. There was nuance to it and an arc, you went from experience a man who lost his daughter, to trying to survive, to having to take care of this girl while fighting parental feelings and the baggage of losing his daughter. There was a depth to that. TLOU2 doesn't have that depth, because it puts commentary over emotional depth. It's not so much a human story as it is a high-level story about cycles of violence, which is fine, but not as engaging. The one excuse I don't really buy is that Naughty Dog told the story they wanted to tell. Most publishers and most storytellers are able to do this, but it has no relevance to the quality of the story told.

I mentioned it before, but I also just found it boring. I generally have a problem where I "see" the design of a game and have trouble getting lost in it, so all the formulas were really obvious to me. "Oh, here are a group of bad guys, this is their movement pattern, these are my options" or "I have to drop down into this basement, so I will have to fight something to move through it, there is blood on the walls, so something is going to jump out at me, I'm in an area with a ton of resupplies, this means the next area will require me to use a lot of them." All those little obvious formulas made it feel more on-rails than I think ND wanted it to feel.

When you have a game where the formulas are fairly apparent, the message is surface level and without much nuance, and the characters are all generally unlikeable (or uninspiring, or cliche, or whatever you want to call them) then it's hard to overcome technical achievement for me. Full respect to anyone who had a different experience, because how we interpret these things is always going to be subjective, but for me it was just a boring slog that I wanted to love, was dying to find something to like, and just ended up feeling pretty empty about the experience. I didn't have fun, feel anything, or learn anything, and I want a story that does at least one of those things.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #129
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't have any problem with people that loved it. As a wise old PM once said "People experience things differently" so I get that this story may be engaging for some. My issue is more with the reviewers that have a bit of a responsibility to be objective and review all aspects of the game as it really was boring at times and as said above by Pepsi, the gameplay itself is no better than anything Ubisoft, Rockstar, etc games have done that haven't received perfect scores. Even if I loved this story I would have a difficult time giving it a score higher than a 9.0 based on the gameplay as I have played a lot of very good games that never got boring and lost its momentum like this. I just think if you are going to give a 10 score you are saying the game was perfect and could not be improved on and I just don't understand how anyone could say that about this game.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-16-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:31 PM   #130
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't get why we keep dancing around certain information even though it's basically revealed in the first 30 minutes of the game... so I'll summarize my annoyance with TLOU2 as:

I like pickles, I like eggs. I don't like pickled eggs.

I really have no issues with the components of the game at all (which is what many others complain about). I just don't like how they combined it together and delivered it. The delivery for me dropped the game from a solid 9.5 to a 7.5.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #131
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
. The one excuse I don't really buy is that Naughty Dog told the story they wanted to tell. Most publishers and most storytellers are able to do this, but it has no relevance to the quality of the story told.
I think based on your post generally, I enjoyed it more than you did, because I was able to immerse myself in the gameplay more than it sounds like you did. I also did care, to some extent, about a few of the characters. Just nowhere near as much as TLOU1 made me care about Joel and Ellie.

But on the quoted, yes. Yes, a thousand times yes. I am fine with Naughty Dog telling the story they wanted to tell. But in this case, the story they wanted to tell was told poorly. I'm not even aware of what plot holes bax was referring to. The central issue wasn't logic, it was structural. The whole thing is structurally disjointed and badly paced, especially in the second half. It just didn't work.

I have to think that if TLOU2 were a released as a movie, this would be the main complaint of professional critics. Having a good story to tell, or a good point to make, is only half the battle. If you tell it poorly, or can't communicate it effectively, it really doesn't matter what you're trying to say.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #132
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think there's no argument against TLOU2 being a technical achievement. It looks great, it sounds great, and all of the motions feel incredibly realistic.

That said, when you look at the gameplay from a functional level, they didn't really do anything unexpected or interesting. It plays exactly like you expect a Naughty Dog game to play, and didn't improve much on the experience of TLOU1 (though I did find much of the play more seamless, which is a worthy improvement). Naughty Dog has a formula, and it's not one I'm particularly a huge fan of. Don't mind it, but I don't think it's better than any of the common formulas you see with Ubisoft, or Sucker Punch, or Rockstar. It just is what it is, and if you like it, you like it, but you know exactly what to expect.

Story-wise I sit closer to EE. I didn't find it bleak necessarily, there was some levity, I just didn't care about any of these people. Joel was the emotional driver of the first one, and they did a good job of setting up his reason for being. There was nuance to it and an arc, you went from experience a man who lost his daughter, to trying to survive, to having to take care of this girl while fighting parental feelings and the baggage of losing his daughter. There was a depth to that. TLOU2 doesn't have that depth, because it puts commentary over emotional depth. It's not so much a human story as it is a high-level story about cycles of violence, which is fine, but not as engaging. The one excuse I don't really buy is that Naughty Dog told the story they wanted to tell. Most publishers and most storytellers are able to do this, but it has no relevance to the quality of the story told.

I mentioned it before, but I also just found it boring. I generally have a problem where I "see" the design of a game and have trouble getting lost in it, so all the formulas were really obvious to me. "Oh, here are a group of bad guys, this is their movement pattern, these are my options" or "I have to drop down into this basement, so I will have to fight something to move through it, there is blood on the walls, so something is going to jump out at me, I'm in an area with a ton of resupplies, this means the next area will require me to use a lot of them." All those little obvious formulas made it feel more on-rails than I think ND wanted it to feel.

When you have a game where the formulas are fairly apparent, the message is surface level and without much nuance, and the characters are all generally unlikeable (or uninspiring, or cliche, or whatever you want to call them) then it's hard to overcome technical achievement for me. Full respect to anyone who had a different experience, because how we interpret these things is always going to be subjective, but for me it was just a boring slog that I wanted to love, was dying to find something to like, and just ended up feeling pretty empty about the experience. I didn't have fun, feel anything, or learn anything, and I want a story that does at least one of those things.
I'll start by just saying I totally respect your opinion. It's been really interesting to me seeing the reaction to this game and how far it has pushed people in both directions.

In regards to the gameplay formula you mentioned, I see where you are coming from, but I don't see games in the same way that you do. I don't really notice the 'design' in the same terms you do. The acting, cinematics, visuals, audio, and writing in general really wrapped me up in this game. It's the guitar stuff, it's the little conversations between characters when you are just walking, etc that made me buy into the gameplay.

I can agree it doesn't really do anything unexpected in terms of gameplay, but like I said before it absolutely improves on every single aspect of it which is enough for me since I enjoyed the first game. I think the combat is extremely varied and even just seeing some of the sequences people have stringed together online I feel like even after finishing the game I'm not even close to mastering the combat.

With all of that being said, I haven't played a Naughty Dog game that I haven't been a fan of so this type of third person cinematic adventure obviously resonates me. For some perspective I also loved God of War and Spiderman, but struggled to get into Days Gone and AC: Odyssey.

Spoiler!

This is all subjective though and I guess that's what makes it so great to discuss. I definitely had fun with this game- I wanted to replay it almost immediately after finishing it to master the combat and see what I missed story wise through my first play through. I connected with most of the characters and felt true suspense through most of my play through not knowing which direction the story was going to go in,
Old 07-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #133
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think based on your post generally, I enjoyed it more than you did, because I was able to immerse myself in the gameplay more than it sounds like you did. I also did care, to some extent, about a few of the characters. Just nowhere near as much as TLOU1 made me care about Joel and Ellie.

But on the quoted, yes. Yes, a thousand times yes. I am fine with Naughty Dog telling the story they wanted to tell. But in this case, the story they wanted to tell was told poorly. I'm not even aware of what plot holes bax was referring to. The central issue wasn't logic, it was structural. The whole thing is structurally disjointed and badly paced, especially in the second half. It just didn't work.

I have to think that if TLOU2 were a released as a movie, this would be the main complaint of professional critics. Having a good story to tell, or a good point to make, is only half the battle. If you tell it poorly, or can't communicate it effectively, it really doesn't matter what you're trying to say.
Fair complaints, but even then I would argue this is all subjective. I though it was brilliant how the game effectively asks you to put away your biases and view the larger story from more than one perspective. It challenges the player in ways that not many games do and I loved the duality and dichotomy of the stories. Going back to the first game I love the ambiguity of who is 'good' and 'bad' in a classic sense. You could argue that Joel is the bad guy of the first game- in fact after replaying it you notice it hints at that quite a bit.

To me the first game is a very simple tale and this one is much more complex. It definitely could be paced differently in some sections while achieving the same message, but i would much rather have a developer like Naughty Dog try something new and innovative even if it doesn't stick the landing completely opposed telling a story that we have seen before that is more predictable or safe.

Last edited by bax; 07-16-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #134
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll just spoiler my whole post here to save time.
Spoiler!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-16-2020 at 01:08 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #135
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Spoiler!
Just to touch on this part, I think that the number of different stories and characters is partially what added to the lack of depth for me. You aren't really given a big opportunity to dive into any of these stories or these people, they're just people with their own problems mentioned as almost an aside, but you don't really get into them as characters and what it means. It seems like quantity over quality, and the characters feel underdeveloped.

I also didn't buy the Ellie/Dina relationship, personally. The dialogue between them didn't feel natural and their relationship on an emotional level felt juvenile, but using language that was overtly mature. It was a weird juxtaposition.

Regarding the SJW stuff, yeah, I agree and don't really buy that at all. I don't know why some clowns are making it out as an issue, I didn't feel they were trying to push any social agenda, and quite frankly I find it extremely insulting when people label any story with gay characters as pushing a social agenda, as though our stories aren't relevant to the world. It's gross and dumb.

And all that said, I appreciate that the game is at least worthy of discussion, and that a few of us can actually talk about it from entirely different perspectives without any of us being necessarily wrong.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #136
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Just to touch on this part, I think that the number of different stories and characters is partially what added to the lack of depth for me. You aren't really given a big opportunity to dive into any of these stories or these people, they're just people with their own problems mentioned as almost an aside, but you don't really get into them as characters and what it means. It seems like quantity over quality, and the characters feel underdeveloped.

I also didn't buy the Ellie/Dina relationship, personally. The dialogue between them didn't feel natural and their relationship on an emotional level felt juvenile, but using language that was overtly mature. It was a weird juxtaposition.

Regarding the SJW stuff, yeah, I agree and don't really buy that at all. I don't know why some clowns are making it out as an issue, I didn't feel they were trying to push any social agenda, and quite frankly I find it extremely insulting when people label any story with gay characters as pushing a social agenda, as though our stories aren't relevant to the world. It's gross and dumb.

And all that said, I appreciate that the game is at least worthy of discussion, and that a few of us can actually talk about it from entirely different perspectives without any of us being necessarily wrong.
I'll spoil my response here just to be safe:

Spoiler!
Old 07-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #137
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Improvements from the first to the second game that I appreciated:

1. Variety of weapons. Ellie's kit was very similar to Joel's in the first game, so mixing it up with Abby's was a refeshing change. I found Abby's kit more compelling over all. Pipe bombs and incendiary rounds!

2. NPC vs. NPC battles. They dabbled with this in the Left Behind DLC, but I liked having the ability to instigate fights between infected and non-infected, and either stealth or fight my way through the chaos. It was a really fun mechanic. Bonus points with the tethered infected in California that you could release.

3. Visuals. The first game was already a technical achievement in its own right, but it was a generation ago, and the Remastered version was a step up but not even close to what they did in this one. They had the most subtle of details down -- blood melting ice, backpack zippers jostling with movement. Very subtle but added to the atmosphere.

4. The story - I struggle to put this as something 2 did better than 1, because it's better in ways and worse in others. In the first game, I felt that Joel was the clear protagonist and everyone else was the bad guy, even the Fireflies who had a clear, noble goal. In the second game, pacing aside, it let you see that was Joel did wasn't as clear cut as it may seem. There was no more good and bad, there were just different people with different motivations.

5. The dogs - In the first game, it was too easy to just move about unseen and pick people off. The dogs forced you to keep moving, forced you to stay on your toes rather than being able to just wait for the perfect opportunity to strike.

6. The stalkers - I don't even remember these guys from the first game, but they were the WORST in the second game and, at least for me, added a true sense of dread and stress. You often couldn't see/sense them, they would appear out of nowhere, and were just creepy overall. Got many chills in my spine fighting these guys.

7. Humanizing the NPCs - I thought it was neat and a nice touch that they would drop names and people would react strongly to NPC deaths. Made you realize that these weren't just drones, they were actually people.

8. The environments - I liked the scale of the areas. The openness of Seattle, the size/scope of the first Seraphites stage (the park/parkade area), the village on fire/WLF vs. Seraphite fight. It was a visual treat, and they all served to differentiate the gameplay throughout. The WLF/Seraphite stage especially, since everyone was out to get you and Lev. I found it neat how you had to be strategic about who you killed, because killing too many on one side would turn the tide of the battle and leave you with more of the other side to kill.

9. The intermezzi - It was a treat to go through parts like Ellie playing Take On Me in its entirety and Ellie/Joel visiting the museum. They just added a lot more flavour to the game and made you remember why you loved these characters in the first place.

10. Clicker penises.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 02:37 PM   #138
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'll just spoiler my whole post here to save time.
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Last edited by bax; 07-16-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #139
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Improvements from the first to the second game that I appreciated:

1. Variety of weapons. Ellie's kit was very similar to Joel's in the first game, so mixing it up with Abby's was a refeshing change. I found Abby's kit more compelling over all. Pipe bombs and incendiary rounds!

2. NPC vs. NPC battles. They dabbled with this in the Left Behind DLC, but I liked having the ability to instigate fights between infected and non-infected, and either stealth or fight my way through the chaos. It was a really fun mechanic. Bonus points with the tethered infected in California that you could release.

3. Visuals. The first game was already a technical achievement in its own right, but it was a generation ago, and the Remastered version was a step up but not even close to what they did in this one. They had the most subtle of details down -- blood melting ice, backpack zippers jostling with movement. Very subtle but added to the atmosphere.

4. The story - I struggle to put this as something 2 did better than 1, because it's better in ways and worse in others. In the first game, I felt that Joel was the clear protagonist and everyone else was the bad guy, even the Fireflies who had a clear, noble goal. In the second game, pacing aside, it let you see that was Joel did wasn't as clear cut as it may seem. There was no more good and bad, there were just different people with different motivations.

5. The dogs - In the first game, it was too easy to just move about unseen and pick people off. The dogs forced you to keep moving, forced you to stay on your toes rather than being able to just wait for the perfect opportunity to strike.

6. The stalkers - I don't even remember these guys from the first game, but they were the WORST in the second game and, at least for me, added a true sense of dread and stress. You often couldn't see/sense them, they would appear out of nowhere, and were just creepy overall. Got many chills in my spine fighting these guys.

7. Humanizing the NPCs - I thought it was neat and a nice touch that they would drop names and people would react strongly to NPC deaths. Made you realize that these weren't just drones, they were actually people.

8. The environments - I liked the scale of the areas. The openness of Seattle, the size/scope of the first Seraphites stage (the park/parkade area), the village on fire/WLF vs. Seraphite fight. It was a visual treat, and they all served to differentiate the gameplay throughout. The WLF/Seraphite stage especially, since everyone was out to get you and Lev. I found it neat how you had to be strategic about who you killed, because killing too many on one side would turn the tide of the battle and leave you with more of the other side to kill.

9. The intermezzi - It was a treat to go through parts like Ellie playing Take On Me in its entirety and Ellie/Joel visiting the museum. They just added a lot more flavour to the game and made you remember why you loved these characters in the first place.

10. Clicker penises.
A lot of great points here that I failed to mention when I was writing about the gameplay above. Nothing groundbreaking, but an improvement in every sense gameplay wise on the original.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #140
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
*snip*

10. Clicker penises.
Wait, really?

I never noticed this and would have never cared, but the next time I run into one, I'm going to probably end up looking down...
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote