Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #81
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

There was so much piled into this movie I can't even remember half the things guys are talking about.

I vaguely remember the dream sequence, but can't remember what happened in it.

I liked pieces of this film but as a whole it was a mess. Just way too much crammed into it, and a huge letdown that it all comes down to a fight with a big mindless monster.

It couldn't end soon enough.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #82
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I liked pieces of this film but as a whole it was a mess. Just way too much crammed into it, and a huge letdown that it all comes down to a fight with a big mindless monster.
I think this is what bugged me the most -- it was supposed to be a combination of Zod and Luthor's genetics, right? So shouldn't Doomsday have been really smart, cunning, tactical, and a bit crazy? Not just a giant screaming monster?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #83
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I didn't understand why that guy gave Lex access to the ship, was it because he was a fellow Superman hater?

Hrmm the more I watch this part the more it makes sense to me to have Batman actually look scared..

https://media.giphy.com/media/xThuW3...EZCU/giphy.gif

Batman's super power is his smarts, his preparation and we saw a lot of that in this film.. it would have really been neat to see this part of him or this side of him in the movie if it was the ONLY time he looked scared or confused. They over used it, otherwise this part could have really hit home for the hardcore fans.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 03-29-2016 at 09:31 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #84
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think this is what bugged me the most -- it was supposed to be a combination of Zod and Luthor's genetics, right? So shouldn't Doomsday have been really smart, cunning, tactical, and a bit crazy? Not just a giant screaming monster?
Nintendo?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #85
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Nintendo?
Ha, Blaster86 thinks I'm a Nintendo hater because I'm critical of the Wii U -- but I've owned every Nintendo console and I can guarantee I've played and enjoyed more Nintendo games than he's even thought about.

Not sure how that relates to Batman v Superman, probably just him being annoying (big surprise).
Old 03-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #86
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I also learned smashing a tire with a sledgehammer was a thing.
It actually is! I've never tried it myself though lol. On a similar note, I can't believe there was a workout montage in this movie, and it didn't even seem all that cheesy to me heh. At minimum, it was nowhere near the cheesiest part of the film...stupid Doomsday.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #87
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Lex getting access to the ship made sense to me, however I don't get why he had to cut off the finger prints. Why go through all the effort of delicately removing finger prints when you have Zod's dead body with you and can just stick his hand in the sensor.

Also, you'd think the Kryptonians would have better security technology than a fingerprint scanner.
Maybe I am wrong, but I could have sworn I have read multiple articles that said fingerprint scanners will not pick up a correct fingerprint after death because of the effect that death has on skin elasticity, etc.

Maybe I misread.

Either way, such a silly movie cliche.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #88
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Ha, Blaster86 thinks I'm a Nintendo hater because I'm critical of the Wii U --
And 3DS related and New 3DS related and Nintendo IP related... In fact I can't remember the last time a nintendo announcement was made where you had a positive take or really seemed to take any enjoyment of it.

I don't really care that you don't like it, that's your prerogative. My issue is that you then come here and make snide comments about people critical of movies from sources that they like and act as though you're not just as big of a giant, annoying fan boy who posts on the internet when they're disappointed with the way things are going with things they like.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #89
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
And 3DS related and New 3DS related and Nintendo IP related... In fact I can't remember the last time a nintendo announcement was made where you had a positive take or really seemed to take any enjoyment of it.

I don't really care that you don't like it, that's your prerogative. My issue is that you then come here and make snide comments about people critical of movies from sources that they like and act as though you're not just as big of a giant, annoying fan boy who posts on the internet when they're disappointed with the way things are going with things they like.
Isn't a fanboy someone who is always positive and NEVER critical of anything a company does, even if it sucks? So, I think that would make you the giant, annoying fanboy, in Nintendo's case.

It was clear from the start, years ago, that people were ready to hate this movie before ever seeing it. It wasn't a surprise that people were nit-picking it hours after it was released too.

Was it an awesome, all-time classic? No. Was it a complete, unwatchable trainwreck? Also, no, even though a lot of opinions would want you to believe that. But there's no convincing a certain group of people otherwise.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #90
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya I agree with you there, I've been pretty hard on this film but I think because it deserves it, but there is definitely a contingent of people on the internet that have wanted it to fail from the start and are now dancing on its grave. I don't understand the hatred for DC or for this movie, but to each their own.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #91
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Ya I agree with you there, I've been pretty hard on this film but I think because it deserves it, but there is definitely a contingent of people on the internet that have wanted it to fail from the start and are now dancing on its grave. I don't understand the hatred for DC or for this movie, but to each their own.
Wait -- there's two GreenLantern posters now? I thought you'd got banned or something and come back with the other name.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #92
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Isn't a fanboy someone who is always positive and NEVER critical of anything a company does, even if it sucks? So, I think that would make you the giant, annoying fanboy, in Nintendo's case.
Fanboy was probably the wrong term, though I am noticing a trend of people being fanboys of things and absolutely hating anything new released in regards to said thing. Then again, I come from a fandom that absolutely hated anything that wasn't the 80s cartoon for a long long time, so it may just be that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The Marvel vs DC rivalry lives on.

I think a general dislike for Snyder is another issue this film had.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #93
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Fanboy was probably the wrong term, though I am noticing a trend of people being fanboys of things and absolutely hating anything new released in regards to said thing. Then again, I come from a fandom that absolutely hated anything that wasn't the 80s cartoon for a long long time, so it may just be that.
Yeah I think that's the new kind of hipster fanboy. Where you claim to be a fan, but actually hate everything.

I'll give Nintendo credit where it's due (Super Mario Maker is absolutely brilliant), but there's so many times I've been hopeful and anticipating announcements and excited, only to be severely let down, that it's difficult not to be disillusioned about almost everything they do these days.

And also, they still haven't made Advance Wars for 3DS. You want to see me support a Nintendo announcement, let's get that one done.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #94
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, I'm not accusing any body here of it, but the "I told you so's" and "dancing on the grave" stuff annoys me. I'm legitimately bummed that this wasn't the movie that I wanted it to be, because I'm such a fan of the characters. Why do people rejoice in that? Its weird.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #95
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

One thing that sure has gotten quiet though is all the haters who were talking about Affleck and Gadot before the movie.. they seem to have collectively been shut up.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #96
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

To be fair I don't think that many people on CP are really dancing on its grave. It is more recognizing the faults.

There are very few movies I've ever cheered to fail. It is nonsensical. Who doesn't like good movies? I also don't think that pointing out some pretty critical failures ruins the movie. I even said in my original post that although I will probably not watch it again anytime soon, and I definitely wouldn't pay to do so, the movie wasn't that bad. Not The Spirit or GL bad anyway. It was yet another in a long line of comic book movies that tried to do too much, be too big etc etc. It is never a good sign when a random person on the internet can come up with a better plot in about 5 minutes.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #97
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I really hate that everybody seems to know Clark's identity in the universe. I hate that Lois knew his identity even before he started working at the Daily Planet.

They lose out all the interplay and humor and drama that comes from that. That was always an important part of the character to me and it made Superman boring once they started dating/got married etc. It's the same as Peter Parker and Mary Jane.

I really loved the interactions they had in things like the Superman Cartoon version of The World's Finest. IE: Lois is excited Bruce Wayne is coming to Gotham, hits on him right away, Clark has to hide his displeasure, etc.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16...est_shortfilms
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #98
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
To be fair I don't think that many people on CP are really dancing on its grave. It is more recognizing the faults.

There are very few movies I've ever cheered to fail. It is nonsensical. Who doesn't like good movies? I also don't think that pointing out some pretty critical failures ruins the movie. I even said in my original post that although I will probably not watch it again anytime soon, and I definitely wouldn't pay to do so, the movie wasn't that bad. Not The Spirit or GL bad anyway. It was yet another in a long line of comic book movies that tried to do too much, be too big etc etc. It is never a good sign when a random person on the internet can come up with a better plot in about 5 minutes.
That's where I'm at. I didn't want this movie to fail. I was hoping for good things. I wanted more than what I got. What I got was 2 1/2 hours long without even a mere chuckle. There was nothing funny in the movie. It was all SERIOUS! DARK! GRIM! FOREBODING! WOE!

I wanted to leave the theatre excited and interested. But instead, when the end credits started rolling, I stood up and thought to myself "Well...that was pretty meh. Pretty, but meh. Shame. Oh, well."

I wanted more than that.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #99
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I really hate that everybody seems to know Clark's identity in the universe. I hate that Lois knew his identity even before he started working at the Daily Planet.

They lose out all the interplay and humor and drama that comes from that. That was always an important part of the character to me and it made Superman boring once they started dating/got married etc. It's the same as Peter Parker and Mary Jane.

I really loved the interactions they had in things like the Superman Cartoon version of The World's Finest. IE: Lois is excited Bruce Wayne is coming to Gotham, hits on him right away, Clark has to hide his displeasure, etc.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16...est_shortfilms
I agree. I enjoy the absurdity of Superman's disguise. It's so completely ridiculous, but I like that they try and make it believable. Some of my favorite stuff from other sources is Clark Kent doing Superman things while in disguise, it would be too obvious if he flew away and "changed" so he has to try and cover while in disguise. Like in All Star Superman and the Donner movies. That's what I enjoy, attempted realism in the face of absurdity.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 05:09 PM   #100
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I agree. I enjoy the absurdity of Superman's disguise. It's so completely ridiculous, but I like that they try and make it believable. Some of my favorite stuff from other sources is Clark Kent doing Superman things while in disguise, it would be too obvious if he flew away and "changed" so he has to try and cover while in disguise. Like in All Star Superman and the Donner movies. That's what I enjoy, attempted realism in the face of absurdity.
See, this is something I've never understood. Is his disguise all that absurd? I recall seeing a video of Henry Cavill walking around a busy public square, with a MASSIVE Superman poster behind him. He was wearing the glasses, and no one recognized him.

I thought about this in one of the Spiderman movies, where Spidey's on a CTrain equivalent, and takes off his mask. An entire train full of people saw him, and not one recognized him.

I consider it in terms of looking around the city I live in. Calgary's got a modest population of a million plus. I used to take transit every single day, and I wouldn't know or recognize anyone on the train. I've had friends say that they saw me somewhere, and I was looking right at them and didn't see them (and it's happened the other way, too).

People really do see what they want to see. And in a city of 11 million (Metropolis' purported population), it's even easier to see.

Also, have you never had a friend who always wore glasses, and then took them off at some point, and you were all "Whoa, you look so different?" Maybe it's just me, as I wore glasses for years, when I switched to contacts, folks were quite surprised by the change, remarking how different I looked.

I don't see Clark's disguise as absurd. It's occasionally stretched into improbable, but certainly it's not that much of a surprise to me that it works (almost all of the time.)
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote