Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #221
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't understand why Luther was seeking government approval to bring in Kryptonite. What so Batman would be aware of it and try to steal it too for their fight set up?

The movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was still pretty bad. Most notable was the bloated length and pointless shots and slow mo. Also, they butchered Lex. He's not a chaotic maniac. They already have one of those.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #222
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #223
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I love the promotional advertising at Walmart for the DVD release if this movie. Batman and Superman have been pushed to the background in favour of Wonder Woman, who is only a bit character. DC knows this movie sucks so much that it's only real value now is to push how great Gadot was.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #224
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I feel like I can honestly say I enjoyed F4 more than BvS. Probably because I don't care about F4 at all and think theyre boring anyways, and I actually really love Batman, and The dark Knight Returns. And they blew it.
Fant4stic was so horrible it was hilarious. BvS was just a sombre mess.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #225
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I saw the Ultimate Edition a few days ago, didn't see this in theaters and I think what ever edition would have been playing in theaters I would have gladly walked out of. I thought Batman who is one of my favorites was awful, drab and boring. Superman who I just cant stand in any medium was a better character in this but I have to seriously say it is barely a 2 out of 10 just couldn't keep my attention at all.

Edit: Just had a thought about this movie being like that friend who always jumps from topic to topic with no context and spends the entire time rambling on in the middle of the story but never really grabs or engages you with the conversation just keeps talking at you while you are wondering why you are even there.

Last edited by LouCypher; 07-29-2016 at 11:49 AM.
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #226
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCypher View Post
I saw the Ultimate Edition a few days ago, didn't see this in theaters and I think what ever edition would have been playing in theaters I would have gladly walked out of. I thought Batman who is one of my favorites was awful, drab and boring. Superman who I just cant stand in any medium was a better character in this but I have to seriously say it is barely a 2 out of 10 just couldn't keep my attention at all.
Its just hard to pin it all down. I was disappointed in Batman because he wasnt the Batman that we all know and love, the intelligent, disciplined, prepared and unflappable Batman.

Superman was Superman. Nothing special. Plain Vanilla. Boring.

Lex Luthor was...well I'm just not even touching that nightmare.

And the back-half of that film was just an inexplicable mess of a fight scene whose only redeeming feature was Gal Gadot as an excellent Wonder Woman.

And it was like 40+ minutes long. That fight scene, holy crap. It literally gave you enough time to back away from the film and write a dissertation concerning the life-altering invention of sliced bread and still leave you time to wonder precisely WTF is going on with this fight scene.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #227
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think that Batman wasn't supposed to be the Batman we know, he was supposed to be this jaded, older veteran version that is sick and tired of all the crap and has had enough. They definitely got that across I thought. And then by the end he comes back full circle (the famous Martha Moment that everyone makes fun of jarred him out of his funk) to the Batman he once was ("I Failed him in life, I won't fail him in death.) thanks to Superman.

Superman was vanilla and very forgetable, but that is always been the case with him I've found, maybe others see it differently. He is the unshakeable morale compass. I think that makes Captain America so much more interesting than Superman is that his morality can actually be questioned, or at least his perception of what is right and wrong. And sticking to his guns can often times land him on the opposite side of his friends and allies (re Civil War). If they could ever do this with Superman in a movie it would be interesting, but at the same time completely unfair as he is Superman and would just one shot everyone. He is just a very tricky hero to handle. This is why I kind of hope in JLA he doesn't come back till the end, let us see a team of not so powerful (Wonder Woman...?) ok not as powerful beings trying to take on the big baddies first.

Lex Luthor was horrible and so was the editing, the rest of your points I 100% agree with.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #228
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I think that Batman wasn't supposed to be the Batman we know, he was supposed to be this jaded, older veteran version that is sick and tired of all the crap and has had enough. They definitely got that across I thought. And then by the end he comes back full circle (the famous Martha Moment that everyone makes fun of jarred him out of his funk) to the Batman he once was ("I Failed him in life, I won't fail him in death.) thanks to Superman.

Superman was vanilla and very forgetable, but that is always been the case with him I've found, maybe others see it differently. He is the unshakeable morale compass. I think that makes Captain America so much more interesting than Superman is that his morality can actually be questioned, or at least his perception of what is right and wrong. And sticking to his guns can often times land him on the opposite side of his friends and allies (re Civil War). If they could ever do this with Superman in a movie it would be interesting, but at the same time completely unfair as he is Superman and would just one shot everyone. He is just a very tricky hero to handle. This is why I kind of hope in JLA he doesn't come back till the end, let us see a team of not so powerful (Wonder Woman...?) ok not as powerful beings trying to take on the big baddies first.

Lex Luthor was horrible and so was the editing, the rest of your points I 100% agree with.
But they did, this is basically the entire 'Injustice' storyline, but also the fight between Batman and Superman in the Dark Knight Returns which they butchered horribly.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #229
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biggest issue with the movie is still Lex Luthor.

A better, more true to the source material version of Lex Luthor would go a long way in fixing this movie.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:43 PM   #230
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A better, more true to the source material version of Lex Luthor would go a long way in fixing this movie.
Fixing this movie is a like fixing the Oilers. Sure you can shine it up, but it is and will always be crap!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:42 PM   #231
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't hate the movie as much as so many on here. It's just disappointing because a Superman/Batman movie could have been so much more.

I was fine with all the heroes and the actors who played them. Affleck and Gadot were the highlights of the movie.

Luthor was written and acted poorly.

Snyder just seems to have little patience and willingness to invest in developing characters. As a result, the ending lacked the impact it should have had.

The dream sequences and video files were atrocious and did nothing to help this movie.

Very interested in what Affleck could do with a Batman movie.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #232
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Apparently the first solo Batman film will involve him trying to take down criminals who've taken over Arkham. It will be very action orientated.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #233
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Apparently the first solo Batman film will involve him trying to take down criminals who've taken over Arkham. It will be very action orientated.
I've already got a title for it too:

Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Catchy, no?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:45 PM   #234
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I am in. I grew up with these characters so I will keep showing up even if some of the movies are disappointing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:26 AM   #235
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Only if they bring back Arnie for Mr. Freeze.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:25 PM   #236
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't hate the movie as much as so many on here. It's just disappointing because a Superman/Batman movie could have been so much more.

I was fine with all the heroes and the actors who played them. Affleck and Gadot were the highlights of the movie.

Luthor was written and acted poorly.

Snyder just seems to have little patience and willingness to invest in developing characters. As a result, the ending lacked the impact it should have had.

The dream sequences and video files were atrocious and did nothing to help this movie.

Very interested in what Affleck could do with a Batman movie.
You know I was thinking about this. Do I hate this movie more than is reasonable because of my level of expectation going in?

And its possible, is it my fault for going in and expecting too much? In the end though I reject thid because I'm not going to assume any blame for this hot mess.

My expectations were high, admittedly. But I'm not shouldering any responsibility for this.

They had top-end characters, excellent source material, more or less a blank cheque, talented actors, writers and support staff and virtually limitless resources. If, with all of that, this was the end result then no. It was bad and they should feel bad and I'm not going to feel bad for saying it was bad.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #237
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

The issue with Batman V Superman is the same issue every DC Superhero movie has had other than the Nolanverse and the first Keaton Batman. They just start getting bigger and bigger and the heads at WB start poking their nose in demanding things until you reach the point that the film is bloated and campy like no other. You end up with things like a Batman that is about neon colours (Batman and Robin), actors, who are usually solid choices, in roles that make no sense for their style and skill set (Clooney as Batman, Eisenberg as Luthor), and story choices that just really make no sense (the editing in BvS, the giant spider that they forced into Kevin Smith's script for the Superman: Reborn that died on the vine, thank god.)

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 07-31-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:23 PM   #238
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Thanks everyone for pushing my expectations down so low that I enjoyed the movie. It's by no means perfect but it is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #239
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

When I originally heard Afleck as Batman, I had lowered my expectations already. So I saw it in theatre and already hearing negative stuff didnt go in expecting to be wowed, and I wasn't. It was decent, but there were some unanswered questions. I had an opprutunity to sit down and watch the ultimate edition. The extra 30 mins did fill in a few more gaps of answered questions. I didnt mind the movie, Afleck, Gagot I was really impressed with. I've never been a big Superman fan, and watching Cavill as Superman, even in Man of Steel I've always thought he was meh. He looks like I feel superman should look, but his character never really sells on me, maybe its the actor himself.

On a side note, I thought the music was well done. Hans Zimmer has done some fantastic work over the years dating back to Crimson Tide, The Rock, Dark Knight and now this. Hans Zimmer announced that this was his last album in the superhero genre.

InSutterWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #240
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I am in. I grew up with these characters so I will keep showing up even if some of the movies are disappointing.
It sounds like it could be a similar concept to "Dredd", which I surprisingly really enjoyed.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote