Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #181
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I'll just clarify that I never said it wasn't a good move for Vancouver, only that I don't see the comparison between Tanev and Schmidt as favorable, nor do i think the flames made the wrong "choice" (if this could even qualify as a choice, which I also disagree with.)
I wasn't calling you out just a general statement. This is a good deal for the canucks.

Obviously a lot of moving parts on the Tanev deal and the Vegas-Vancouver deal. I doubt that a deal with Vegas was ever on the table for the Flames but even if it was it definitely seemed liked the Flames got their guy in Tanev, they didn't wait around to see what happened with Vegas and their cap.

I like Tanev and I actually think he fits better on this roster than Schmidt does. We needed a defensive dman that will play the dirty minutes including the PK and that is not Schmidt.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #182
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
3 out and 1 in. Even though you upgraded Tanev, you lost elsewhere. So the comparison is the positive difference between Schmidt and Tanev, less the other losses.

Vancouver is still down in my opinion. And they definitely didn't go from defensive punching bag to possession powerhouse.
2 in, they 'replaced' Markstrom as well with Holtby
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:31 PM   #183
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
2 in, they 'replaced' Markstrom as well with Holtby
I guess we should include Toffoli as well. So 4 out, 2 in. Loading 2 top 4 D, one top 6 forward and your MVP goalie is pretty significant.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #184
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess we should include Toffoli as well. So 4 out, 2 in. Loading 2 top 4 D, one top 6 forward and your MVP goalie is pretty significant.
True, mind you in Benning's slight defense this whole thing is due to Covid and so utterly unforseeable really, not that I would argue his free agent mess pre covid was a good thing but in a normal year he would have had way more of a cap to play with
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #185
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
True, mind you in Benning's slight defense this whole thing is due to Covid and so utterly unforseeable really, not that I would argue his free agent mess pre covid was a good thing but in a normal year he would have had way more of a cap to play with
but then so would Vegas and maybe then they don't gift him a save his ass trade
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #186
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry, two top four D? Are you trying to make a case for Troy Stecher being top 4? Oh sweet summer child.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
but then so would Vegas and maybe then they don't gift him a save his ass trade
And you guys don't get your goalie or Tanev.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #187
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Sorry, two top four D? Are you trying to make a case for Troy Stecher being top 4? Oh sweet summer child.....

Of course we do - they were dying to get out of that cesspool and come to Calgary. What - you think it was just about money?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #188
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd rather play Stecher in the top 4 than Tyler Myers...

Anyway, I don't really think the Canucks are a playoff team next year regardless. They certainly weren't going to be a cup contender, no matter what they did. So maybe they're better off taking a step back and giving some of their younger players a shot, and try to be better the year after or the year after that. It's not even clear if there's going to be an AHL season, so they can't count on anyone developing there.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:39 PM   #189
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yup, that was a mistake. You lost a top 4 dman, your #5 dman, a top 6 forward and your MVP goalie. You replaced them with a goalie who was terrible in the last year and a top 2/3 dman who's only ever played on very strong teams and was caught using PED's.

Can't see how that is anything other than a loss. Of course the three playoff game heater is the real Demko, not the 27 regular season games of .905 hockey. Its fine, everything is fine.

Am I doing this right?

But, as you said, Benning is not done. Luckily he has cap space and a plethora of value contracts (Beagle, Rousell, Sutter, Baertapopolous or whatever) that he can move out.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #190
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Can't see how that is anything other than a loss. Of course the three playoff game heater is the real Demko, not the 27 regular season games of .905 hockey. Its fine, everything is fine.

Great, you can't see it anything as a loss. Thank Christ we don't base decisions off of what you can or cannot see or we'd have locked down a 30+ year old recently injury prone goalie to a contact that is probably too long at a value that will probably end up too much vs the 25 year old goalie we've been building too since he was drafted. This decision is based on how good he has been at every step of development with the expectation that he will be a full-fledged top level NHL goalie within the next two years. About the only people who expect this development to suddenly stall are people who post here. His issues are the exact same as Markstrom's were at an older age, but the assumption here is that Markstrom could figure it out at 28 and Demko won't be able to at 25. I know you're used to your young goalies flaming out, but Vancouver has always fared better on that front, going back to Schneider.

And don't take this as me not thinking Markstrom is a phenomenal goalie, but for team needs and team growth, it was time to move on. He's a much better fit for the Flames at this time than he is for the Canucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'd rather play Stecher in the top 4 than Tyler Myers...

For what it's worth, Hughes' numbers were much better when paired with Myers vs when paired with Tanev. By a lot.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 10-13-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #191
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Great, you can't see it anything as a loss. Thank Christ we don't base decisions off of what you can or cannot see or we'd have locked down a 30+ year old recently injury prone goalie to a contact that is probably too long at a value that will probably end up too much vs the 25 year old goalie we've been building too since he was drafted. This decision is based on how good he has been at every step of development with the expectation that he will be a full-fledged top level NHL goalie within the next two years. About the only people who expect this development to suddenly stall are people who post here. His issues are the exact same as Markstrom's were at an older age, but the assumption here is that Markstrom could figure it out at 28 and Demko won't be able to at 25. I know you're used to your young goalies flaming out, but Vancouver has always fared better on that front, going back to Schneider.

And don't take this as me not thinking Markstrom is a phenomenal goalie, but for team needs and team growth, it was time to move on. He's a much better fit for the Flames at this time than he is for the Canucks.

For what it's worth, Hughes' numbers were much better when paired with Myers vs when paired with Tanev. By a lot.
Tanev was put in much tougher situations...defensive stars, tougher matchups, so those are certainly grain of salt numbers.

I doubt Myers and Hughes were tapped on the shoulder for a late defensive faceoff against the other teams top line with a one goal lead. Tanev played the "hardest" minutes on the D so its more likely that if you are out there with him its a tougher matchup/situation.

Last edited by dino7c; 10-13-2020 at 09:01 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #192
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Interestingly in the 3 series against Minnesota, St Louis, and Vegas the D combinations involving Hughes were overall:

Hughes/Tanev +4
Hughes/Stetcher even
Hughes/Myers -2
Hughes/Edler -2

And Tanev's combinations:
Tanev/Hughes +4
Tanev/Fantenberg even
Tanev/Edler -2
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:05 PM   #193
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, that was a mistake. You lost a top 4 dman, your #5 dman, a top 6 forward and your MVP goalie. You replaced them with a goalie who was terrible in the last year and a top 2/3 dman who's only ever played on very strong teams and was caught using PED's.

Am I doing this right?

But, as you said, Benning is not done. Luckily he has cap space and a plethora of value contracts (Beagle, Rousell, Sutter, Baertapopolous or whatever) that he can move out.
A 2/3 d man who was Vegas' clear number 1

https://twitter.com/user/status/1316021564379295745
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #194
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Am I doing this right?

Lost a 4, gained a 2, the fancy stats athletic guy has him projected as a top pair guy for 3 more years, top 4 the 3 after that, and as I posted above, vegas beat writers say he was their 1 in terms of deployment

Lost a 5 d man.... off season isnt over, and again, theres been talk of rafferty replacing stetcher since early last season

Markstrom is a loss for sure, if they wanted to sign him, they could have, he wanted to stay, all it would have taken is the NMC. So they chose Demko and Holtby instead, with input from Clarke.

Also again, its 10 weeks from the season starting

There's another buyout window, there can be trades
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #195
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

TIL Stecher is a top 4 defenceman and better than Myers, Schmidt is a #3 defenceman and overpaid.

you learn a lot on CP
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:19 PM   #196
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Lost a 4, gained a 2, the fancy stats athletic guy has him projected as a top pair guy for 3 more years, top 4 the 3 after that, and as I posted above, vegas beat writers say he was their 1 in terms of deployment

Lost a 5 d man.... off season isnt over, and again, theres been talk of rafferty replacing stetcher since early last season

Markstrom is a loss for sure, if they wanted to sign him, they could have, he wanted to stay, all it would have taken is the NMC. So they chose Demko and Holtby instead, with input from Clarke.

Also again, its 10 weeks from the season starting

There's another buyout window, there can be trades
Lost a PPG forward...team already wasn't good enough and its a massive stretch to say they have improved

3 big losses
1 big add

Math

Did you Canuck fans expect to come here and have us tell you guy how great the team is because they made one decent move after a disaster of a UFA period? Can't believe I have to wait 3 or 4 months to see Holtby get absolutely lit up

"He has been terrible for three years but playing behind the Canucks will fix him"

Last edited by dino7c; 10-13-2020 at 09:22 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #197
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Elliotte Freidman says the the deal between Vegas and Vancouver was done Saturday night.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #198
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
A 2/3 d man who was Vegas' clear number 1

https://twitter.com/user/status/1316021564379295745
Well when TSN Radio Vegas puts that out instead of TSN Vancouver maybe we can start believing.

In the meantime dilute the koolaid.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:13 AM   #199
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Well when TSN Radio Vegas puts that out instead of TSN Vancouver maybe we can start believing.

In the meantime dilute the koolaid.

You realize the guy who talked about it was one of the every day beat writers for the Knights, right?

Are you guys just being obtuse to try and get that schadenfreude feeling?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #200
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, the big issue is wether or not Big Nate can kick the PED habit and who will be his new supplier in Vancouver....
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote