Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 02:52 PM   #2021
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I really don't want Hall (or Toffoli) either, but feel we should make some changes. Right now we have enough to re-sign our RFA's.

I don’t see how changing the bottom 6 is going to help? I like the Bennett third line and I think a couple of kids could fit in nicely on the 4th line . We need shakeup on top 6 . That costs money or assets
Old 10-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #2022
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why do people bring up the ASG appearance like it was some great accomplishment? 2 goalies in each division are invited and Rittich was the 2nd replacement. Good for him, he was 4th best of out 8 starters!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #2023
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Looking at the goalie market, I think Dell could be had at 1m, 1.2m maybe
Dell is more than adequate for 20-25 games. Hometown boy too.

If you can get yourself an extra 1.5-1.75 to work with it might be worthwhile.

That in itself might land you Granlund.

Last edited by djsFlames; 10-11-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #2024
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Markstrom has played 60 games twice.

We have a backup goalie who played in the All Star game last year - play him 30
times or whatever the pro rated equivalent is in a shorter season.

I have zero desire to see Markstrom start 70 games a year. He’s not making Price money, let’s devote resources to ensuring he‘a ready when we actually need him.
The problem is you're no longer in a 1A/1B situation where both guys are competing for the larger workload and down the line a #1 spot and equivalent contract.

Rittich is UFA in one year. He can't see a situation now where being here long term is to his benefit if he still strives to be a #1, or at least a 1A.

We're going to need to find a backup behind Markstrom who we can not only play a good number of games, but is content with the #2 on a longer term and its related salary.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #2025
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Why do people bring up the ASG appearance like it was some great accomplishment? 2 goalies in each division are invited and Rittich was the 2nd replacement. Good for him, he was 4th best of out 8 starters!
Thank you!

He was a replacement replacement pretty much last year and they weren’t giving another spot to the awful California teams.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #2026
Atodaso
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I'm not opposed to change, but I think any major change will have salary going out and salary coming in. If we pull off what I'd really want (Monahan+Hanifin for a top-end #1 centre) we probably end up with less salary coming back than we send out.
I mean that would be nice and all but who does that for a legit #1 C? Buffalo would want more for Eichel, for example.

Barzal? Probably a no go.

I wouldn't pay that for Couturier.

Interesting package though.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #2027
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't necessarily think that the top 6 needs a 'shake-up' as much as this team can just use another legitimate weapon. If you can acquire a top-end player while keeping the rest of your top end players, that seems like the route to take, if you can manage to unload some cap from other areas. That's going to be tough to do, however, but that is my first choice.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #2028
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t see/hear anything one way or another about the Flames and Hall so I’m gonna assume they are working on it. Trying to get everyone to the dance. My guess is it’s the return for Gaudreau that is holding everything up. Come on Philly/Jersey.... get it done already...
Old 10-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #2029
Atodaso
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Johnny ends up traded to either Philly or Jersey, how fast does he sign an extension?
Old 10-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #2030
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atodaso View Post
I mean that would be nice and all but who does that for a legit #1 C? Buffalo would want more for Eichel, for example.

Barzal? Probably a no go.

I wouldn't pay that for Couturier.

Interesting package though.
My hope is Barkov. Maybe I'm an optimist.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #2031
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Markstrom has played 60 games twice.

We have a backup goalie who played in the All Star game last year - play him 30

times or whatever the pro rated equivalent is in a shorter season.

I have zero desire to see Markstrom start 70 games a year. He’s not making Price money, let’s devote resources to ensuring he‘a ready when we actually need him.
My point is Rittich isn't anything special and we could save capspace by moving him while not taking a talent hit. Just my opinion. A guy like Dell could just as easily spell off Markstrom as needed. Rittich is too high and low to be comfortable with. One shot he looks like Roy, the next he looks like Racicot. He also is about as cool as a three month old cucumber. We can do just as good, for cheaper.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #2032
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atodaso View Post
If Johnny ends up traded to either Philly or Jersey, how fast does he sign an extension?
Likely not for a while. He still has 2 years left on his current deal.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #2033
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Signing a KHL deal is an attitude problem now?
It is when you are under contract to a NHL team. Seriously, you don't see the problem there and Ho-Sang trying to stick it to his team?

Quote:
Ho-Sang is no worse than Avery or Downie and how many opportunities did they get to be pieces of #### at the NHL level? Yet the moment a Ho-Sang or Aliu does shows signs they are essentially black balled.
Avery and Downie were #######s, but they were #######s that played their role on the team as instructed. They took the coach's direction and executed their jobs as asked. That is what got them to the show. That is what Ho-Sang refuses to do. He is un-coachable and has authority issues. This is on Ho-Sang.

Quote:
You do know that when someone complains about the "race card" (which for the record is a pretty vile thing to call an argument for being treated like an equal), the problem is almost always the person complaining about he race card.
You're the one who played the race card. I have based my comments on Ho-Sang strictly on his attitude and refusal to play hockey as expected of him. You turned this into a race thing. It isn't a race thing, it is an attitude thing. Ho-Sang has been a problem child his whole life. Race has nothing to do with it. His ego is the problem.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...ders-prospect/

"But one thing stands out. There’s a lone IceDog lagging behind, a slender kid in black sneakers, compression shorts and a grey sweatshirt, its hood pulled over his bulky headphones, his hands tucked into the sleeves like a chilly child’s at the skating rink. His effort level hovers somewhere slightly south of interested as he half-heartedly does his thing several steps behind the rest of the group. When the routine is through, his teammates file off to the dressing room to get ready for the game, but he stays on the concourse, walking around and fiddling with his phone while the Zamboni makes its rounds on the ice below. About an hour later, when the IceDogs spill out for their pre-game skate, he’ll be the last one on the ice and the first one off of it, after stickhandling for a bit, taking a couple shots on an empty net and mostly ambling around. The rest of the team stays out until the buzzer goes."

"His name is Josh Ho-Sang. Just 19 and widely regarded as one of the most naturally gifted players in the Ontario Hockey League, he might go down as one of the NHL Draft’s greatest steals, at 28th overall, where the New York Islanders selected him last year. He might be part of a dynamic, reinvigorated franchise that is moving to Brooklyn next season and building one of the NHL’s most feared cores of young players. He might be a truly special, unfathomably skilled talent for years to come. Or he might be a cautionary tale. He might end up squandering his exceptional talent, as many coaches have warned him along the way, if he doesn’t conform and stop stubbornly doing things his way. He might be a spectacular disaster."

It's always been about attitude with this kid, and nothing has changed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #2034
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Jeremy Rutherford @jprutherford
Hearing a deal between Alex Pietrangelo and Vegas could be getting close. A decision/announcement may come as soon as tonight.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #2035
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin for roslovic and a pick?
Trade mangiapane and Ryan for whatever picks possible. Sign Hall.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #2036
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Hearing a deal between Alex Pietrangelo and Vegas could be getting close. A decision/announcement may come as soon as tonight.
Not surprised
Old 10-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #2037
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Son of a.....
Old 10-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #2038
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1315374389999726593

Confirmation that Colorado is apparently out on Hall.

"The Nashville Predators and Boston Bruins are the two most likely teams on Hall’s shortlist."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #2039
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Keep building that All Star team Vegas. We know how well that works.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #2040
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1315374389999726593

Confirmation that Colorado is apparently out on Hall.
Brad might actually pull this off.
Closed Thread