Featherstone
Never heard of him in my life.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #244
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way I figure it out was looking at the name of the photo

tps://media.gettyimages.com/photos/season-glen-featherstone-of-the-calgary-flames-picture-id53124102
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 07:40 PM   #245
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of 44

Definitely missed that part of the retirement tour (which included a full season +4 more games the next year with WAS...then 12 games with NYR.

Always liked this guy

Best hairline since Lafleur?

Didn't remember his pit-stop in BOS just before the big lockout, either.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #246
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no memory of Steve Christoff as a Flame:

[IMG]gallery Steve-Christoff-Calgary-Flames-autographed-signed-8x10-Photograph-w-COA[/IMG]
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #247
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

That is a top quality painted-on helmet.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #248
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
That is a top quality painted-on helmet.
nice catch...don't think i would have noticed, or even known that was ever a thng!
Old 10-16-2020, 09:26 PM   #249
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
nice catch...don't think i would have noticed, or even known that was ever a thng!
Oh it was a thing in the early 80s, when getting pictures of players was a premium. It seems like there were two or three guys that took pictures for hockey cards, and only in certain venues on the east coast.

If a player didn’t play in those games on that road trip, there was a chance they didn’t get an updated picture for next year.

If the player stayed with the same team the next season, no problem, they’d use another shot from earlier in his career.

If he changed teams though, that was a problem.

Take Mel Bridegman, former captain of the big bad Flyers. Traded to the Flames in 1981 but in the 1983 offseason he was traded to the Devils. The chaps at OPeeChee had to scramble to get Mel in Devils silks for the Fall 1983 hockey card release.

The recolouring of the jersey went ok, but something went terribly wrong on the production floor, and whatever recolouring/drawing of the helmet they planned for poor Mel’s helmet went sideways to say the least.

browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 09:45 PM   #250
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Lol. I know in some European leagues they give the leading scorers gold helmets. Never heard of silver ones.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:48 PM   #251
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Oh it was a thing in the early 80s, when getting pictures of players was a premium. It seems like there were two or three guys that took pictures for hockey cards, and only in certain venues on the east coast.

If a player didn’t play in those games on that road trip, there was a chance they didn’t get an updated picture for next year.

If the player stayed with the same team the next season, no problem, they’d use another shot from earlier in his career.

Take Mel Bridegman, former captain of the big bad Flyers. Traded to the Flames in 1981 but in the 1983 offseason he was traded to the Devils. The chaps at OPeeChee had to scramble to get Mel in Devils silks for the Fall 1983 hockey card release.

The recolouring of the jersey went ok, but something went terribly wrong on the production floor, and whatever recolouring/drawing of the helmet they planned for poor Mel’s helmet went sideways to say the least.

That face is what slapshot is. I like this.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:52 PM   #252
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Speaking of 44

Definitely missed that part of the retirement tour (which included a full season +4 more games the next year with WAS...then 12 games with NYR.

Always liked this guy

Best hairline since Lafleur?

Didn't remember his pit-stop in BOS just before the big lockout, either.
Why can't I remember the name of this hairline, but know this hairline?
Old 10-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #253
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Bill burr in the habs photo
Old 10-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #254
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

It is Sergei Gonchar.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #255
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Sometimes they wouldn't bother, or maybe the trade happened too late to do even that. I remember a few players who were fully wearing the uniform, and then the next said "Now with ........" or something like that. I distinctly remember this for Chris Chelios when he was traded to Chicago.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:19 PM   #256
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That makes sense, and I think deep down in my memory I had some awareness of ret-conning team changes.

My first brain-wave was that it was for ret-conning helmets onto players who didn't wear them or something (to which I though "damn, that's a pretty darn good job!").
Old 10-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #257
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Zamuner was such a weird choice. It meant that Messier wouldn't be in the Olympics, which in retrospect was the right decision but at the time it was very controversial. The only part that confuses me is why they went with Zamuner and not Peca.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:24 PM   #258
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Sometimes they wouldn't bother, or maybe the trade happened too late to do even that. I remember a few players who were fully wearing the uniform, and then the next said "Now with ........" or something like that. I distinctly remember this for Chris Chelios when he was traded to Chicago.

I think if a player got traded during the offseason, they might do the painted on jersey, but if he was traded early during the season, before they went to print, they'd just do the "Now with..." text.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #259
Newton
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:37 PM   #260
Newton
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Newton is offline   Reply With Quote