Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #901
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last time the Oilers had to pick a player in the mid teens, they reached for Alex Plante.

Here are the results of the Oilers when selecting 14th to 16th with the number of NHL games played.

14th - Devan Dubnyk 2004 (520), Michel Riesen 1997 (12)
15th - Alex Plante 2007 (10), Jesse Niinimaki 2002 (0), Jason Soules 1989 (0)
16th - Have never drafted a player at 16th. They did trade 2015 16th + for Griffin Reinhart (37) instead of drafting Barzal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #902
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
So it is official now that the lottery is done. This season was a debacle of monumental proportionals with no redeeming qualities at all for the Oilers. Good.
The only saving grace, from their POV, is that they will still get a very good player where they draft in this draft.
Which they will probably eff up.

But the tough pill to swallow is those deadline moves to give up additional picks for players that had little to no impact, and part of a team that just went rather quietly into the night.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #903
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
He's not alone but he needs to calibrate his thinking

Thought Tkachuk should be suspended for Kassian incident - he wasn't
Thought Kassian shouldn't be - he was
Thought the Oilers would never have to give up the third - they did
Thought Tkachuk should have a lengthy suspension for Scheifele incident - he got nothing
Thought Kassian didn't deliberately kick the Tampa player - suspended

How many times can a guy be wrong before he wonders if he's living in a bias?
You never become aware of your bias when you do all your thinking by ass.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #904
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside of the 1st round, the Oilers don't pick until the 5th round. Good luck finding talent when you trade picks away.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 05:09 PM   #905
woolymammoth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can we at least still expect a banner for the 2020 Stanley Cup hub city champions?
Old 08-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #906
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Lose to the worst team in the play-in round? Check.

Miss playoffs? Check.

Get almost the worst possible draft pick of the non-playoff teams? Check.

Plus...
  • League awards the Flames the third round pick for the Neal-Lucic trade (then, Neal scores 2 goals in the play-ins, so their fans can't even claim there's no way he could possibly have scored 2 more goals had they played out the full season)

• Flames become the first team to win one of the play-in rounds in Edmonton, becoming the first team to win a postseason series at Rogers Place (with Talbot, Lucic, and Rieder all contributing, as well as previously unsigned Oilers draft pick, Erik Gustafsson scoring more points than any Oilers d-man)

• Taylor Hall and Arizona win their play-in series while using the Oilers' dressing room

• Vancouver wins their play-in series, meaning the Oilers are the only Canadian Pacific Division team to not win their series in Edmonton

It's been a hell of a week and a half up in Edmonton.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #907
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The only saving grace, from their POV, is that they will still get a very good player where they draft in this draft.
Which they will probably eff up.

But the tough pill to swallow is those deadline moves to give up additional picks for players that had little to no impact, and part of a team that just went rather quietly into the night.
Whoever they draft will surely be rushed. I doubt Holland has the luxury of sitting on picks and letting them develop like he did in Detroit.

I also think this all but guarantees that we will not be getting their 3rd pick this year. No way Holland can walk into the draft and sit on picks in the 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th. Although 2021 isn't much better with only having 1st, 4th, 6th, 6th, and 7th if they defer.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #908
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Plus...
  • League awards the Flames the third round pick for the Neal-Lucic trade (then, Neal scores 2 goals in the play-ins, so their fans can't even claim there's no way he could possibly have scored 2 more goals had they played out the full season)

• Flames become the first team to win one of the play-in rounds in Edmonton, becoming the first team to win a postseason series at Rogers Place (with Talbot, Lucic, and Rieder all contributing, as well as previously unsigned Oilers draft pick, Erik Gustafsson scoring more points than any Oilers d-man)

• Taylor Hall and Arizona win their play-in series while using the Oilers' dressing room

• Vancouver wins their play-in series, meaning the Oilers are the only Canadian Pacific Division team to not win their series in Edmonton

It's been a hell of a week and a half up in Edmonton.
I feel like Ernie McCracken in King Pin.

Strike 1 - After the Flames defeated Winnipeg.

Strike 2 - After the Oilers lost to Chicago.

Strike 3 - The draft lottery.

Throwing of the hand - continue to watch Flames hockey for at least little longer.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #909
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Whoever they draft will surely be rushed. I doubt Holland has the luxury of sitting on picks and letting them develop like he did in Detroit.

I also think this all but guarantees that we will not be getting their 3rd pick this year. No way Holland can walk into the draft and sit on picks in the 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th. Although 2021 isn't much better with only having 1st, 4th, 6th, 6th, and 7th if they defer.
For sure. Because you also have to account for their arrogance that will cause them to assume that next year's 3rd will be MUCH later.
To be fair I would keep the 3rd this year too. It's the rationale choice.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #910
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is the rational and correct choice.

But even if it wasn't, they would defer to next year out of pure arrogance.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:31 PM   #911
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: never mind

Last edited by Enoch Root; 08-10-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #912
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
For sure. Because you also have to account for their arrogance that will cause them to assume that next year's 3rd will be MUCH later.
To be fair I would keep the 3rd this year too. It's the rationale choice.
What happens if they just forget to choose? I assume it's this year. I'd laugh and laugh.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #913
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

For James ####ing Neal
Old 08-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #914
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I can't be the only person who thinks that the constant public whining given his platform is off-putting and incredibly unprofessional from someone who isn't a junior in his role. You'd expect much better from a grown ass professional.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #915
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I can't be the only person who thinks that the constant public whining given his platform is off-putting and incredibly unprofessional from someone who isn't a junior in his role. You'd expect much better from a grown ass professional.
I mean, even worse than the whining, is that he's just... wrong. It's a good battle, Bear gave as good as he got (and then lost his footing/momentum) and lost the battle and the puck squirted to where Toews could play it. And he did, because Bear was facing the wrong way and down on a knee at that point. I just don't see the infraction, and neither did the official who was standing right there. "Massive hook" vs Toews grappling for position. It's just such a bad take, nothing but sour grapes, and yeah, just a totally unprofessional, trollish thing to put out in public. Sad.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #916
Ring of Fire
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
United Cycle in Edmonton had a deal that if you bought an Oilers Jersey and they missed the playoffs you would get a $100 giftcard (this was at the beginning of March). I am interested to see how they'll handle this...
Too bad the arenas are empty. Imagine all the jerseys that would have been thrown..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ring of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #917
FlameFan21
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlameFan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 06:14 PM   #918
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The thing about Staples is he’s not really a professional. He’s just some clown in his basement writing blogs that occasionally get published in a second rate newspaper.

The bar for him is low and he still can’t reach it.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:16 PM   #919
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Massive hook?

You would think that such a massive hook would be more obvious.

Looked more like a typical battle for puck possession which a player like Toews often wins.

First person to even mention it.

Odd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #920
Newton
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It's closer to a Decade-And-A-Half Of Darkness rather than The Decade of Darkness they keep referencing.
Somtimes, when I'm feeling down about life.

I stop and contemplate the Oilers in year 17 of their 4 year plan.

I remember how they traded away their heart and soul Ryan Smith for a young D-Man Ladislav Smid, who played his entire career and retired an old 12 year veteran with over 500 NHL games ...not one of which was in the NHL playoffs.
Closed Thread