Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #41
Kipru
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4
I'm still looking for the final quarter heart on snes Zelda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyGriz View Post
That game is insanely hard. Took me forever to beat and when i did beat it, It told me i was only half done took all my stuff and stars and said i had to start over. Haven't played it since.
Are you guys talking about Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past for SNES? I really don't see why would it be so hard, since you can save your game. I think only thing that i never found was the Chris Houlihan room. And the macig powder was useless, and the mushroom in your Inventory. Otherwise it has to be one of the best games ever made, in terms of playability and its music (Well monkey islands beat it in music).
Old 12-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #42
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Punchout is my all time favorite game, the characters, the music, the gameplay, all top notch. Beating Tyson was tough, but do-able.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #43
StrayBullet
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kipru....

I thought "A Link To The Past" was the second Zelda game in the series on NES?
StrayBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #44
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was some Nintendo game with the word Time in the title. My mom bought it for me when I was sick one day at home and I could never get past the stupid fat Mexican boss on the 2nd level. He wore a sombrero and one of those white housecoat looking things and I would spend 15 minutes shooting him and he never died....

Does anyone know what game I'm talking about? For the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

EDIT: Time Lord! Thank you Wikipedia. Stupid game still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcKDeIeylyY

And I'm not alone. At about 3:00 you can see them attempting to kill the boss over and over and over again.

Last edited by simmer2; 12-04-2007 at 10:59 AM.
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #45
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Angry Nintendo Nerd must have blood-pressure issues....his reviews are hysterical though.
Thanks for mentioning Angry Nintendo Nerd. I can now relive my most hated levels. I still remember that stupid dam in TMNT, and it comforts me knowing I wasn't the only person who found it impossible.
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #46
Kipru
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayBullet View Post
Kipru....

He (4x4) was originally talkin about snes, and i think no other games were made to Snes.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #47
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Beating Shadowrun for the Supernes took a large chunk of my life... I liked the game, but I remember being so frustrated trying to find things at times... I think I called the nintendo hotline at one point in order to find those stupid mermaid scales...
Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 PM   #48
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Some games I had that I found difficult/infuriating:

CastleVania -- The end boss was impossible. Getting to him wasn't too bad, but you had to go through that sequence just before fighting him that guaranteed at least a couple points off your health, and then he was hard as hell on top of that. I never did beat him.

Double Dragon -- Once again the end boss was impossible. He has a machine gun, and I'm supposed to beat him by punching and kicking him. Hard as hell. And that part where you were supposed to cross the wall and the bricks came flying out at you in a seemingly random, unpredictable partern? That sucked too. I'd always waste at least one life there.

Ikari Warriors -- one stupid bullet kills you and you have to kill thousands of emenies. Even with infinte continues it was impossible.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #49
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
Double Dragon -- Once again the end boss was impossible. He has a machine gun, and I'm supposed to beat him by punching and kicking him. Hard as hell. And that part where you were supposed to cross the wall and the bricks came flying out at you in a seemingly random, unpredictable partern? That sucked too. I'd always waste at least one life there..

I loved doubledragon, especially when you could pick up bats and pound on people.

However there was a major programming flaw that made it too easy.

The back elbow was the ultimate deuce ex machina in that game. Once you got close enough to hit it, no matter how tough the opponent, you just had to stand over him and hit it and everytime they stood up, they'd go down.

I remember the last guy lasted as long as it took for me to get within two feet of him, then I just hit him with about 20 back elbows and that was it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #50
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaN_26 View Post
Beating Shadowrun for the Supernes took a large chunk of my life... I liked the game, but I remember being so frustrated trying to find things at times... I think I called the nintendo hotline at one point in order to find those stupid mermaid scales...
LOL I loved Shadowrun. But it wasn't exactly that difficult to beat. The end boss especially was easy, because the Freeze spell worked on him.

I remember right at the end the end boss said "See you again in Shadowrun II", of course, Data East or w/e went out of business shortly after that.

I do remember spending hours and hours getting Nuyen (?) and leveling at the Junk yard though.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #51
Got Miikka?
One of the Nine

Exp:

Anyone ever play the NES version of the popular film Predator? Now THAT is an impossible game (but I did beat it... using a GameGenie)
Got Miikka? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #52
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I remember the last guy lasted as long as it took for me to get within two feet of him, then I just hit him with about 20 back elbows and that was it.
I'll have to remember this. Usually I spent most of my time trying to jumpkick him to get around his bullets, but I never lasted very long doing that. I never got in close enough to elbow him. Maybe its time to fire up the old Nintendo (I still have a working one). I wonder what it'd looking like on a 42" plasma...
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #53
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
LOL I loved Shadowrun. But it wasn't exactly that difficult to beat. The end boss especially was easy, because the Freeze spell worked on him.

I remember right at the end the end boss said "See you again in Shadowrun II", of course, Data East or w/e went out of business shortly after that.

I do remember spending hours and hours getting Nuyen (?) and leveling at the Junk yard though.

no not tough, and ya I remember that too... we waited and waited and waited and no shadowrun 2... I guess there is one on the 360 but its a FPS...

No the only thing about it that was frustrating was finding those scales... took me sooo long even after the help line told me they were down on the docks... I remember leveling in the junk yard too...
Old 12-04-2007, 02:25 PM   #54
CrispyGriz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipru View Post
He (4x4) was originally talkin about snes, and i think no other games were made to Snes.
Well i suck at reading and was referring to The Legend of Zelda for the NES. You can save your progress but its an insanely long and spread out game, it just took forever to beat and had some pretty stupid hard parts.
CrispyGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #55
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Some more to add:

Bubble Bobble. Who even knows what the upper level looks like.
Oh I passed that one many years ago, and was definitely a bright spot in my younger days. That was a hell of a game with a simple concept, but it wasn't impossible by any means.

Now on the flipside? River City Ransom was the easiest game to pass. You could die as many times as you wanted, and all you would lose is half your money, which you you can make back in 5 minutes of gameplay anyways.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #56
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Leisure suit Larry, I always forgot to get condoms before I did the first girl.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #57
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayBullet View Post
Kipru....

No, "Link" (short for The Adventures of Link?) was the sequel to the legend of Zelda for NES. I didn't really like it compared to the first, wasn't digging the scrolling view after the overhead view of the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyGriz View Post
Well i suck at reading and was referring to The Legend of Zelda for the NES. You can save your progress but its an insanely long and spread out game, it just took forever to beat and had some pretty stupid hard parts.
One of my favourite games ever, the original Zelda. As a kid my friends and I somehow knew every spot to bomb to find a hidden door, some of them were so randomly hidden. I don't remember ever figuring it out, it was just like we innately knew.

Won it many times. Killing Ganon, had to shoot him with a silver arrow while he was invisible and then use the best sword to carve him up real good.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #58
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
No, "Link" (short for The Adventures of Link?) was the sequel to the legend of Zelda for NES. I didn't really like it compared to the first, wasn't digging the scrolling view after the overhead view of the first.

One of my favourite games ever, the original Zelda. As a kid my friends and I somehow knew every spot to bomb to find a hidden door, some of them were so randomly hidden. I don't remember ever figuring it out, it was just like we innately knew.

Won it many times. Killing Ganon, had to shoot him with a silver arrow while he was invisible and then use the best sword to carve him up real good.
Best part about beating the original Zelda for the NES was that you got to play through the "second quest" with all new dungeons and dungeon locations.

If I recall correctly, I think if you named your guy Link or maybe it was Zelda, you got to start on the second quest. What a rude awakening it is when the skeletons are shooting daggers at you!

I'm a nerd.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #59
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Best part about beating the original Zelda for the NES was that you got to play through the "second quest" with all new dungeons and dungeon locations.

If I recall correctly, I think if you named your guy Link or maybe it was Zelda, you got to start on the second quest. What a rude awakening it is when the skeletons are shooting daggers at you!

I'm a nerd.
If you named your char Zelda, you then started with the Master sword in one of them.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #60
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I just got Contra 4...oh my god, this game as harder than the original, harder than most old-school games. I can't even past the first quarter of level one on hard mode. I can barely reach level 2 on easy.

And the Contra Code doesn't work...it only works in the original Contra (which is unlockable).
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote