Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #461
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
The GoFundMe account collecting funds for the Humboldt Broncos closed at midnight Wednesday after raising more than $15 million in less than two weeks, as more than 140,000 people donated from more than 80 countries.

It is the second-largest GoFundMe campaign globally, trailing just the $21.5 million raised for the Time's Up Legal Defense Fund.
Well done world, well done.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...aises-more-15m
Old 04-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #462
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sask. RCMP are providing update on Humboldt Broncos crash investigation LIVE

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...p=FB_Post_News
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #463
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

forgive me if this sounds wrong, but being an accident reconstruction tech must be interesting work (aside for the reason that you are working)
Old 04-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #464
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to this tweet from his mom, Ryan Straschnitzki was being transferred home today to Alberta, to the Foothills, for the rest of his recovery. Just saw an updated article that says he was transferred this morning. Also liked the reply from Tempurpedic so I included it in the screenshot. Michelle Salt, the rep who is mentioned in the tweet, is the first female Canadian Paralympic snowboarder.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 03:20 AM   #465
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
Sask. RCMP are providing update on Humboldt Broncos crash investigation LIVE

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...p=FB_Post_News
From the article:
Quote:
Curtis Zablocki added it's still too early to determine if the truck had blown through the stop sign or if it might have stalled in the intersection.
Jesus, do these people even think? do they know the word physics?

The only way that truck ends up 200+ feet west from the collision point on it's side is if it ran the stop sign going at least 80 km/h, hell. while this flat bed truck was cutting the north bound bus in half it dragged it 150 feet west as well.

Sorry, but this RCMP commissioner is completely out of touch

It's not rocket science:
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:04 AM   #466
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s not out of touch, he’s just not going to speculate as to what happened until they’re 100% sure. Obviously it’s highly likely he blew the stop sign but they can’t say that publicly until it’s been confirmed.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:42 AM   #467
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
He’s not out of touch, he’s just not going to speculate as to what happened until they’re 100% sure. Obviously it’s highly likely he blew the stop sign but they can’t say that publicly until it’s been confirmed.
Disagree, everyone in their right mind and simple science says/knows he ran the stop sign, why f*** around with the truth while they bury the poor 16 lost souls?

There is absolute 0% chance that truck didn't run that stop sign. that's 0% with a zero!
Old 04-20-2018, 05:19 AM   #468
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I prefer when police complete an investigation prior to determining who is guilty.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #469
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i agree, be 100% sure before making a public statement.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #470
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

He probably misspoke. He should have said that they still weren’t sure how the truck ended up being in the intersection and left it at that, instead of citing some examples not necessarily related to this case. Now they have to deal with armchair physicists.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #471
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I prefer when police complete an investigation prior to determining who is guilty.
Agree 100%. It seems pretty clear the truck was in the intersection but we do not know why, and there is more than one way it could have got there. Let's let the RCMP finish their investigation.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:42 AM   #472
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i agree, be 100% sure before making a public statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
He probably misspoke. He should have said that they still weren’t sure how the truck ended up being in the intersection and left it at that, instead of citing some examples not necessarily related to this case. Now they have to deal with armchair physicists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Agree 100%. It seems pretty clear the truck was in the intersection but we do not know why, and there is more than one way it could have got there. Let's let the RCMP finish their investigation.
People!

The investigation of the cause was done long ago, the truck driver ran the stop sign at a speed between 70 and 90 km with the bus hitting the first trailer just behind the tractor unit going between 90 and 100 km, the bus swerved left and collided on the right front side of the bus, the deck of the trailer unit cut threw the top half of the bus separating the roof from the main part of the coach. killing 16 passengers.

It sucks and people won't like it but it's now political in hopes of "calm" because the driver was (1) poorly trained and (2) an immigrant. I really don't care about the slaps I'm getting from people "waiting" for the so called real results because I'm not wrong in any way.

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 04-21-2018 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:47 AM   #473
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Well first of all the roof was clearly removed by first responders for access so maybe we just wait for the experts to release all the information.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #474
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/w...-playoff-game/

Quote:
Humboldt Broncos player gets standing ovation from Winnipeg Jets fans at NHL playoff game

Winnipeg native Matthieu Gomercic received plenty of love from the home crowd during Game 5
Quote:
The Winnipeg Jets did good on Friday night, and I'm not just talking about their performance on the ice during their 5-0 win against the Minnesota Wild.

During Game 5 of the first round series, the Jets introduced Humboldt Broncos forward Matthieu Gomercic on the jumbotron. The 20-year-old Gomercic, a Winnipeg native, was one of the survivors of the tragic bus crash that took the lives of 16 Broncos players and staffers two weeks ago.

Gomercic was released from the hospital last week, and on Friday he was at Bell MTS Place watching his hometown team deliver a postseason beatdown. Jets fans showed him and his family plenty of love with a loud standing ovation.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #475
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Well first of all the roof was clearly removed by first responders for access so maybe we just wait for the experts to release all the information.
From everything I've heard the roof was ripped off in the collision. I have friends who were on site and it was about the most violent collsion you could imagine.

But I agree we should wait for the experts to determine root cause. While it may be obvious the truck went through the stop sign before safe to do so, but why? Sun in the eyes, cel phone, brake failure? Etc. That's why they won't state a definitive cause. They need to determine why.

Last edited by speede5; 04-21-2018 at 07:59 PM.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 10:10 AM   #476
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't see any problem in proceeding with caution. There will be plenty of time for anger if it turns out this was a result of some sort of negligence (poor training, cell phone, impairment, etc.). But it could also be that someone just made a mistake. If that's the case, I think we'll all need to do some sober thinking before we string the guy up. We all make mistakes when we're driving, it just usually doesn't result in such a horrible outcome.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slanter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #477
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Disagree, everyone in their right mind and simple science says/knows he ran the stop sign, why f*** around with the truth while they bury the poor 16 lost souls?

There is absolute 0% chance that truck didn't run that stop sign. that's 0% with a zero!
It's obvious the truck blew through the stop sign, but what's not obvious is why. Maybe he fell asleep, maybe the sun was in his eyes, maybe he wasn't paying attention...or maybe his brakes failed. That's why you complete an investigation.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #478
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The roof separation is way too clean to be from just collision. I think it was likely opened up on the impact and then cut like that by fire. A bus on its side would be impossible to extract victims with spinal cord injuries in a safe and efficient be manner. Wonder where the last stop sign was prior to the scene?
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #479
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...-close-to-home

"John McPhaden, a Tisdale crane operator, was called to the crash scene Friday to help with the “poor young fellows” who had not survived. He used his crane to hoist the bus’s roof, torn off on impact with the tractor-trailer, so that the first responders could reach the four or five bodies buried beneath the debris."

Like I said, the roof was ripped off in the collision.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #480
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Sportsnet:

Quote:
Big Read: This is the story of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash that left a nation reeling, told by the players, coaches and family members at the centre of it.
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...-oral-history/

I’m not sure what else to say. Just heartbreaking...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post: