Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #13381
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
I know we are deep on d but any takers for Manning on D to give McDavid fits? No issues in giving Manning Kulak’s spot as Kulak is not a difference maker and doesn’t bring the intangibles that Manning would being. Kid wants to come home to western Canada.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...s-part-2%3Famp
Manning doesn't give McDavid fits though. He bumped him once and now has to fight every Oiler whenever the teams play. Another example of Edmonton being full of duds. They seem to genuinely think the guy hurt McMoron on purpose.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #13382
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Random thought while I was listening to the Fan on the drive to work today...
Could the Islanders offer sheet a goalie? They have the picks and the cap space. Could that be enough to keep JT on the island?
I think Lou adds a goalie this summer for sure. I could see him acquiring Cory Schneider if the rumors are true the Devils May be looking to make a change.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #13383
Toonage

Exp:

A deal between Shero & Lamoriello to send a star goalie to a division rival seems unlikely.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #13384
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Random thought while I was listening to the Fan on the drive to work today...
Could the Islanders offer sheet a goalie? They have the picks and the cap space. Could that be enough to keep JT on the island?
They could absolutely offer sheet a goalie, but who would they realistically offer sheet, to entice Tavares to stay?
There are 7 RFA Goalies who played more than 20 games last season, 4 who played more than 30. So if you're looking for a stud starter to make your superstar Center feel like the team is going in the right direction, the options are:

Jusse Saros - 25 GP, 2.44 GAA, .925Sv%
Philipp Grubauer - 35 GP, 2.35 GAA, 0.923sv%
Connor Hellebuyck - 66 GP, 2.38 GAA, 0.923sv%

I'm gonna say Winnipeg re-signs Hellebuyck.
Rinne has 1 year left on his contract and is 35, I doubt Nashville lets Saros go.
Grubauer is interesting, since Washington seemed to be leaning towards him as the starter, but Holtby showed he is capable of carrying that team. Holtby has 2 more years on his deal, and is only 28, so the Caps could stick with him for another decade.

Does Grubauer keep Tavares with the Isles though?

There's not a great FA crop either to sign another proven guy to run a 1A/1B style tandem until Grubauer proves he can handle 60+ games.

Maybe Khudobin, Bernier or Ward?
Old 06-06-2018, 08:53 AM   #13385
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I read in the Athletic that Nino Niederreiter could be a guy on the move this summer. Does a Brodie for Nino swap as the main pieces of a deal make any sense? Who adds?
Old 06-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #13386
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I read in the Athletic that Nino Niederreiter could be a guy on the move this summer. Does a Brodie for Nino swap as the main pieces of a deal make any sense? Who adds?
I think in a lot of ways it makes sense even 1:1.

Nino isn't a perfect player but I think he's what the Flames need. Sniper and a guy who plays with quite a bit of physicality.
Could really thrive with Johnny.

Money is close 5.25 through 2022 for Nino
4.6 through 2020 for Brodie

Certainly seems to make sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #13387
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
If they have issues signing Dumba, I could see a deal around Brodie/Niederreiter, and then they restock their forward depth by moving Dumba.

If they re-sign Dumba, they likely don't want 5 D-men making over $4M/yr.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #13388
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Greg Brady
@gregbradyTO
That’s that for Tavares w/ the Isles. Have heard from far too many connected people that the only way JT was staying was a reaffirmed commitment to Weight as head coach. Isles will attempt to trade his rights before July 1.

12:16 PM - Jun 5, 2018
385 people are talking about this
Link to article

Quote:
Sportsnet radio host Greg Brady is reporting that "too many connected people" have informed him that the only way John Tavares would remain within the Islanders organization was if the team retained the services of head coach Dough Weight and obviously now they won't be doing that. In fact Brady went one step further and stated that they needed not only to retain Weight but that it would also require a "reaffirmed commitment" to the former NHL star, again that won't be happening.

Brady is now reporting that the Islanders will be actively seeking to trade his rights to an interested National Hockey League franchise prior to the expiration of Tavares contract on the 1st of July. As you would expect in this situation a team interested in acquiring Tavares could describe just about every team in the entire league at this point and Brady did not provide any details regarding where Tavares might end up as a result of today's moves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #13389
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
Maybe Khudobin, Bernier or Ward?
I expect any of those 3 would send Taveras running for the hills.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #13390
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I call b.s. So this guy is insinuating that if the Isles had retained Doug Weight, the franchises star player would have been open to re-signing but instead they fired him thus ruining any chance of him returning? Seems unlikely at best. The fact that Weight still has a job within the organization I think speaks volumes to the probability this is b.s. I think it is more likely that when Lou and JT met and discussed the team that JT probably was on board with DW getting canned and asked that they give him another job with the Islanders and the organization complied. I still fully expect the Islanders to have him signed to an 8 year extension in the near future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #13391
Toonage

Exp:

Its interesting though, gives us something to talk about.

Brady has worked as host of Hockeycentral at Noon in the past and I would hope on the heels of this they will have him on today to expand on what he knows. Or thinks he knows.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #13392
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I call b.s. So this guy is insinuating that if the Isles had retained Doug Weight, the franchises star player would have been open to re-signing but instead they fired him thus ruining any chance of him returning? Seems unlikely at best. The fact that Weight still has a job within the organization I think speaks volumes to the probability this is b.s. I think it is more likely that when Lou and JT met and discussed the team that JT probably was on board with DW getting canned and asked that they give him another job with the Islanders and the organization complied. I still fully expect the Islanders to have him signed to an 8 year extension in the near future.
You're going to need more than just supposition at this point to double down on your belief of JT remaining an Islander, especially in light of these recent developments.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #13393
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I'd be willing to hire Weight as an Associate Coach to get Tavares.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #13394
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

As a player... why would you sign an 8 year deal with a team based on a Coach who probably had max 2 years left there. It doesn’t make any sense.

Either way, it is one more thing to a pile of problems for the Isles and I don’t think Tavares signs there.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #13395
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'd be willing to hire Weight as an Associate Coach to get Tavares.
Hell I'd be willing to sign Weight as a player for the 4th line if it meant we got Tavares too.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #13396
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Hell I'd be willing to sign Weight as a player for the 4th line if it meant we got Tavares too.
...and trade for Matt Moulson.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #13397
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think JT is leaving the Island, but I don't think it's because of Weight getting canned. I think its because they have spun their wheels for too long and are now sliding back down the hill.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #13398
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think even JT knows what he's doing one way or another at this point, outside of maybe deciding that he's going to the "Courting Window" no matter what.

At that point he can gauge the interest, see what is available, and then still get an 8 year contract from the Islanders.

He holds all the leverage here - what is Lou going to say "Go to the courting window and I'll never offer you a contract here again!" - no chance that happens so Tavares might as well wait and see what's there on
Old 06-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #13399
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The fact that Weight still has a job within the organization I think speaks volumes to the probability this is b.s. I think it is more likely that when Lou and JT met and discussed the team that JT probably was on board with DW getting canned and asked that they give him another job with the Islanders and the organization complied.
Or, more likely, is that Weight is under contract with the Islanders and will continue to be paid. Giving him another position just means he isn't sitting at home collecting a payment while watching Seinfeld reruns.

In the mean time, Weight continues to be involved in hockey until such a time that another team contacts him for an open position.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #13400
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hockey Buzz Eklund @Eklund
The Latest> Calgary and Sabres Discuss O'Reilly for Hamilton (e4) Isles. Buzzcast http://www.hockeybuzz.com/

hahahahahaha ok
Closed Thread