Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #6381
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
You honestly believe this? Sam has been handled with kid gloves by the Flames and he looks nothing but lost 90% of the time. Has he had a shot on goal in the last 4 games?

It's one thing not to notice Travis Hamonic, it's another not to notice Sam Bennett.
If Sam were actually to be traded i think fans would be shocked by the return.

What realistically could Hoffman bring in a trade with another team? 1st, 2nd and a mid-level prospect? Bennett isnt bringing that at this point.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #6382
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
GMs are concerned with what the player can be, not what he did over the last 4 games for another team.

Fans are very "what have you done for me lately?"
As it stands right now its much more likely that Bennett never progresses beyond 3rd liner who gets hot here and there than being any kind of significant consistent contributor. I hope like hell he puts it together but I no longer have my hopes up. He just isnt progressing and doesnt appear to have it. I dont know how any other view can be had other than people clinging to his ‘highest pick in Flames history’ status.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #6383
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
If we are getting hoffman it will be a package around prospects/picks. Sam is too valuable now and in the future for calgary.
I don’t know about that.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #6384
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I don’t know about that.
He’s regressed every season, is on pace to match last years mountainous 26 points while scoring less goals and not having center responsibilities.

You need a next level of home team blinders on to not think that his value around the league is greatly diminished.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #6385
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I don’t know about that.
what significant player do you see flames trading for hoffman?
Old 01-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #6386
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
what significant player do you see flames trading for hoffman?
Pretty sure he was commenting on the last part of your post, about the value of Sam Bennett.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:41 PM   #6387
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember really liking Ehlers at the '14 draft but knew we were getting whoever was left out of Draisaitl, Reinhart and Bennett.

I'm not giving up on Bennett but it's difficult to argue he hasn't been a disappointment. Tkachuk was drafted 2yrs later and is a far superior player.

If this team is going to take the next step it needs players like Bennett and Jankowski to take the next step themselves.

I almost wonder what this team would look like with Dube on the roster. We're missing something on this team.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:41 PM   #6388
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If we are getting hoffman it will be a package around prospects/picks. Sam is too valuable now and in the future for calgary.
man Bennett gets a long leash by some.

Hate to say it because I was excited about the player, but if you take the fan glasses off there is not much there to be optimistic about. He looks lost, confused, plays die on his stick constantly, and he lacks finish when he does get the chance. 2 of his 6 goals were 'throw it at the net and see what happens'. He can't play on the top 9 on a team that wants to win and it's less and less likely.

I'm not sure how you can suggest he has value now. Will he even hit 15 goals/30 points this year? As a top 9 on a team that wants to win?.....Yikes. Cut bait.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #6389
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Hate to say it because I was excited about the player, but if you take the fan glasses off there is not much there to be optimistic about. He looks lost, confused, plays die on his stick constantly, and he lacks finish when he does get the chance. 2 of his 6 goals were 'throw it at the net and see what happens'. He can't play on the top 9 on a team that wants to win and it's less and less likely.
I have noticed Curtis Lazar is starting to outshine him, at least in the effort and ice positioning department. This is in addition to me feeling more confident with Stajan on the ice lately than Bennett. That's not a good feeling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:43 PM   #6390
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
If Sam were actually to be traded i think fans would be shocked by the return.

What realistically could Hoffman bring in a trade with another team? 1st, 2nd and a mid-level prospect? Bennett isnt bringing that at this point.
On his own, Sam might get you what the Flames paid to get Lazar.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #6391
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Saw the Zack Amith to Flames rumor thread on HF and the first Sens fan that posts thinks Bennett could be going the other way. I don’t move Bennett for Hoffman let alone Smith
I serve up Bennett on a platter with cheesecake and gravy for Hoffman.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:46 PM   #6392
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Guys I don't think Bennett garners you a third round pick to be honest...I would keep him out of Hoffman trade proposals.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #6393
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
On his own, Sam might get you what the Flames paid to get Lazar.
I think a playoff bound team would still throw a first but another year like this and we’ll be talking Yakupov return.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #6394
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Pretty sure he was commenting on the last part of your post, about the value of Sam Bennett.
Well I can see you obviously don't like Bennett.

But trading him for Hoffman would be stupid. Believe it or not, Bennett is still a huge piece of this team right now. And he has plenty of upside and offensive ability.

where was Hoffman at 21? oh ya still in juniors and minors
Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #6395
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I serve up Bennett on a platter with cheesecake and gravy for Hoffman.
Lol I agree. Bennett is not very good. There is no way he is on the Flames starting the 2018 season
Old 01-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #6396
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
GMs are concerned with what the player can be, not what he did over the last 4 games for another team.

Fans are very "what have you done for me lately?"
Lately? We're at least two years in to it.

Again, he looks lost the vast majority of the time.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:49 PM   #6397
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I take that back actually. I think he is at best he gets you a third this summer. The timeline actually lines up with Yakupov this summer.

I’m not at all advocating we trade him for that at all, but for people to say they wouldn’t trade him for Hoffman.... I mean come on.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:50 PM   #6398
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
man Bennett gets a long leash by some.

I'm not sure how you can suggest he has value now. Will he even hit 15 goals/30 points this year? As a top 9 on a team that wants to win?.....Yikes. Cut bait.
funny how experts on here know when a 21 year old player is past his prime
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goflamesgo18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 10:54 PM   #6399
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

where was Hoffman at 21? oh ya still in juniors and minors
And this is where Bennett should be at 21. He should be developing in the minors instead of getting his head handed to him shift after shift.

That ship has sailed though. If the Flames want to win they shouldn't think too long or hard about turning this asset into a player that can effectively play in there top 9 now.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:55 PM   #6400
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
funny how experts on here know when a 21 year old player is past his prime
This is my favourite line of thinking. That since hes 21 it means hes automatically gonna continue ascending as he gets older, completely ignoring that hes actually regressed each season hes been in the league which is the calling card of league busts. Oh well.

We’re not trading him because we could never get value from where he is versus the off chance that he turns it around. If you could trade him for Hoffman it’d be a no brainer but theres no way you can trade him for Hoffman so its a moot topic.
Closed Thread