Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #3421
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Except it does. Even Crosby, the best player in the world, has had a terrible streak of games or two (I think he started 15/16 by getting points in only 1 of his first 9 or 10 games). The fact is, it does happen to everyone, even players way better than Bennett, and especially players that are at the same level as Bennett.

I mean, since you brought him up, Brouwer had two 10-game pointless streaks just last season. Bad streaks happen to everyone. It just happens.
I don't think it's about Bennett being pointless so far, I mean it is obviously pretty bad, but like you said everyone has slumps.

For me what is extremely alarming is that he has been regressing which should never happen with a player at his age, this is the time when he should be taking leaps especially as a top pick.

People bring up Backlund as a comparable but he never regressed, he just took small steps and ages to be the player we see today.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #3422
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

To steer the conversation away from Bennett there are rumblings the Leafs would entertain moving Marner if they could land the top Dman they are after.

I am sure several would be opposed to this but what would the Leafs need to add to Marner to have you consider moving Dougie? 1st rounder? Or no chance the Flames should love Hamilton?

Personally it depends on if the Flames continue to struggle to score. Losing Dougie would be a huge hit to the blueline but they still have Hamonic, Stone, Anderson on the right side and Fox also coming.

Just want to steer the discussion back to trades
Old 10-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #3423
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
To steer the conversation away from Bennett there are rumblings the Leafs would entertain moving Marner if they could land the top Dman they are after.

I am sure several would be opposed to this but what would the Leafs need to add to Marner to have you consider moving Dougie? 1st rounder? Or no chance the Flames should love Hamilton?

Personally it depends on if the Flames continue to struggle to score. Losing Dougie would be a huge hit to the blueline but they still have Hamonic, Stone, Anderson on the right side and Fox also coming.

Because of contract, cost to acquire, and player potential I don’t think Dougie is going anywhere. If any defender was going to move my guess would be Brodie if he’s going to cost too much to keep.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #3424
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think the Flames lose that trade. Marner has been underwhelming this year (he has points but his play hasn't been great). He's been relegated to fourth line wing (but plays on the PP). So right now you are trading a top pairing D man who has yet to reach his peak (and I think Dougie is one of those guys who just gets better and better with age, like Neidermayer), for a one dimensional winger.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #3425
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

i definitely see the leafs, or oilers for that matter, trying to trade for one of the Canes young dmen. They have a bunch of young Dmen hitting their prime ages, and still have Bean up and coming in their prospect pool.

Here in toronto, they seem to all feel that there's hope that Doughty makes it here somehow.

Interesting to see Marner on the 4th line at the moment. He had a quiet second half last season, and continued that drop in the playoffs. He's actually really good in my opinion. I always thought he'd be another Eberle, but he's got a good motor and has the ability to chase down and win the puck.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #3426
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I actually thought this was the Bennett thread when posting, got confused because there is so much about him.

Anyway, can the Leafs even add salary anymore in the form of a top D? Nylander and Matthews are going to take 20 million of their cap and they are already at their ceiling. Both Bozak and JVR are gone just to fit those guys in.

I don't see how they can .
Old 10-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #3427
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I can't see them giving up on Marner all ready. He showed a lot last season and he will rebound. I wouldn't trade Hamilton for him but I would trade Brodie if they would take that return. Nothing against Brodie but I feel the team has become a little imbalanced and could use a skilled forward.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #3428
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People are talking about salvaging value via a trade I do t believe the expected return is a first rounder or stud forward.

Bennett is not going to get the team Duchene without adding significantly more. I wouldn’t be against moving him if he still carried the value of a 21 year old 4th overall pick. Read the “value of Sam Bennett” thread on Hf and you will see countless lowball offers. I know that means nothing in the grand scheme of things but ultimately reading him nownis selling low. Some people think trade him now before he is worthless where I am of the opinion a move to the wing and keeping him here is the better move
What does the opinion of an Oilers fanboy forum have to do with anything? It's obviously not a true representation of value to an NHL GM.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #3429
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a Marner fan and I don't think he's really an answer to what the Flames need. I do agree that if the team did have to move one of their "core" players, Brodie would be the guy moved but it would have to be for someone who can help, not someone who might help like Marner. A guy like Mark Stone would be ideal, I don't think the sens would ever move him but a guy like him would be perfect IMO.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #3430
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I can't see them giving up on Marner all ready. He showed a lot last season and he will rebound. I wouldn't trade Hamilton for him but I would trade Brodie if they would take that return. Nothing against Brodie but I feel the team has become a little imbalanced and could use a skilled forward.
Counter-point: Given our current head coach's predilections are you prepared to accept the following as a result... Matt Bartkowski: Top 4 D-man.

Because I have no doubts that is what Gulutzan would do.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:22 AM   #3431
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
What does the opinion of an Oilers fanboy forum have to do with anything? It's obviously not a true representation of value to an NHL GM.
Agreed, but no question his value in trade is at an all time low.
I'd prefer to chance it dropping even further, and even to next to nothing, before selling low on him now.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #3432
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a better trade. I feel like I can see what max-level Brodie will be and while he's got extremely good skills, they can be replaced with what Calgary has on the farm. One of Valimaki, Kylington or Andersson can be the puck mover that Brodie is, and could turn out to be better in their own zone. But we have no one coming with offensive skills the equal of Marner.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #3433
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Counter-point: Given our current head coach's predilections are you prepared to accept the following as a result... Matt Bartkowski: Top 4 D-man.

Because I have no doubts that is what Gulutzan would do.
He can do that if he wants and it will only accelerate him getting a pink slip. This defense group leaks badly even when Brodie on the ice. Most of the league has less talent on their blue lines on paper and yet plenty play better defensively. As long as the sum of this defense group is less than it's parts I don't feel any worries about moving out a guy like Brodie. You have to give up something to get something and you aren't going to get a talent like Marner for junk.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #3434
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ah, I found the Bennett thread
Old 10-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #3435
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Trading Marner for a top d man they desperately need isn't giving up on Marner. It's filling a hole by giving up offence which they clearly have a lot of.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #3436
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, I'd do a Brodie for Marner deal for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #3437
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first suggestion of dougie referenced that we have a lot of depth on the right side, and not as much on the left. The question as to whether we would be willing to trade him, comes down to whether we are ok with seeing a gio-andersson top pairing.

Marner and a first is where the conversation starts.

Safe to say I would not trade Brodie. Kylington is not ready, and wotherspoon is not a replacement.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #3438
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Trading Marner for a top d man they desperately need isn't giving up on Marner. It's filling a hole by giving up offence which they clearly have a lot of.
I think he is viewed by that organization as a cornerstone player. Teams don't typically trade them.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #3439
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Would prefer Marner over Bennett, but that's just me thinking out loud.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #3440
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think he is viewed by that organization as a cornerstone player. Teams don't typically trade them.
Exactly. It's why they can get a pretty good d man back. Don't see anyone else that they could trade that would get them a top d man without totally crushing their team.
Closed Thread