Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #81
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

So after having the M50s for just about a year my Klipsh S4i IEMs don't quite deliver. Can anybody recommend some good IEMs under $200?

I've heard a lot of good things about Monster Turbines (normally that despite being Monster, they're actually worth the cost). Anyone have experience with those?

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #82
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
So after having the M50s for just about a year my Klipsh S4i IEMs don't quite deliver. Can anybody recommend some good IEMs under $200?

I've heard a lot of good things about Monster Turbines (normally that despite being Monster, they're actually worth the cost). Anyone have experience with those?
for 100$ the shure se215's are rock solid.....

don't pay full price for the turbines...they are good...but visions recently had em for 128$ on cyber monday...so boxing day might be around the same price...
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #83
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I ordered a set of Shure 425 not too long ago from EK Sound & Equipment for $247 however they quoted me the 315 for ~$170.

It isn't a retail store but a specialty shop so you'll have to do your own research before you get there. The staff were really awesome to deal with and you save ~30% off retail. Highly recommended and an authorized seller as per the shure website.

http://www.eksound.com/
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bean For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #84
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tried posting a list of the prices for retailers in Calgary and on the web, EK Sound or Long & McQuaid have it for the cheapest as local brick and mortar stores which still beats ordering over the web.

PM me if you'd like my little spreadsheet of prices if you like.

Last edited by Bean; 12-12-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #85
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've given up on nice headphones, for whatever reason mine always short out or break at the plug end. Like 3 pairs of Sennheisers, so last pair I got cheaper Logitech ones with an L shaped plug, now the plastic has separated from the plug
Old 12-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #86
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

oooh...a sleeper IEM that is VERY popular with the folks on head-fi are the head-direct RE0...some consider them one of the better iems...and they are like 100$ IIRC
Old 12-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #87
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I've given up on nice headphones, for whatever reason mine always short out or break at the plug end. Like 3 pairs of Sennheisers, so last pair I got cheaper Logitech ones with an L shaped plug, now the plastic has separated from the plug
call logi, if its out of warranty they should give you a 50% off code...and the ultimate ears are some nice headphones..
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #88
photon

Exp:

Actually good idea, last time I called their support they were awesome, I hadn't thought of that!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #89
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Actually good idea, last time I called their support they were awesome, I hadn't thought of that!
np, i had a pair of ultimate ears headphones that were a good 2 years out of warranty. when i bought them ultimate ears were their own company, only to be bought by logitech. logitech couldn't replace em but offered a 50% loyalty discount. great customer service
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #90
freedogger
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have been using the Bose QC-15's for s few days now. They are pretty decent at blocking out background chatter while working in a loud open office environment. I just use them for the noise reduction as I find any music too distracting. Mr sniffles no longer throws my concentration off so money well spent in my books. The good/bad thing is that people can still talk directly too me and I can still hear them and make out what they say. If I wear foam earplugs and these on top, almost every sound is blocked out.

I don't have anything else to compare these with, would be interested to try out a better noise canceling setup if such a thing exists.
freedogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #91
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a good sets of over the ear foldable travel noise canceling Bluetooth set that you can also hard wire? Does such a thing exist?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #92
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

My Monster Turbine Pro Coppers just arrived

Took me about 45 minutes to find the tips with the best seal but these are already easily the best IEMs I've ever listened to: unamped, not broken in, and with an imperfect seal. Can't wait to see how they sound in a couple weeks.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #93
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
call logi, if its out of warranty they should give you a 50% off code...and the ultimate ears are some nice headphones..
Good call on this thanks, they have a 2 year warranty actually.

Finally got around to calling them, I didn't have the receipt and I don't think it had the #'s they were looking for (apparently there's supposed to be something like a serial # on the jack, but I could only see 2 digits other than the model #, I even got a good macro shot of it), so I wonder if I have a counterfeit pair or something...

They mulled it over for a day but they're sending me a replacement set anyway, so that's nice!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #94
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My Monster Turbine Pro Coppers just arrived

Took me about 45 minutes to find the tips with the best seal but these are already easily the best IEMs I've ever listened to: unamped, not broken in, and with an imperfect seal. Can't wait to see how they sound in a couple weeks.
After about 40 hours of burn-in, amped, and switching to the foam tips, these IEMs are ridiculously good. I had no idea you could get this kind of sound from buds. Best $99 I ever spent on audio.

Negatives: I notice every imperfection in most the medium bitrate ( < 320kbps ) songs in my library.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #95
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has anyone tried the Bose IE2 earbuds? A buddy had a pair of these and I thought they were way better than my Klipsch Image S4 earbuds.

The S4s have been alright. They are very comfortable but the build quality bugs me. The wire is so small and delicate and not very durable. I also find that these get tangled up so easily. The sound quality is pretty good but I liked the IE2 sound better. I don't think I'd buy these again.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #96
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Has anyone tried the Bose IE2 earbuds? A buddy had a pair of these and I thought they were way better than my Klipsch Image S4 earbuds.

The S4s have been alright. They are very comfortable but the build quality bugs me. The wire is so small and delicate and not very durable. I also find that these get tangled up so easily. The sound quality is pretty good but I liked the IE2 sound better. I don't think I'd buy these again.
I had the S4s for awhile. The wire becomes solid at about 10 degrees.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #97
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm going to be going travelling next month and I'd like a pair of headphones. I've got some in-ear ones that are great for the gym but I think on plane and train rides they may get bothersome. What I'm looking over is some over the ear phones that aren't too expensive and would be great for playing games on the iPad and just listening to music at work. I'm thinking more along the lines of $50-$80 rather than $300 Dr Dre type headphones. Folding/collapsible would be a plus.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #98
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've tried in-ear models before but can never get them to fit right, or they hurt after a short period of time. These seem like a really good idea...

http://sculptedeers.com/products/

Have any of you audiophiles looked into them?
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #99
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
I've tried in-ear models before but can never get them to fit right, or they hurt after a short period of time. These seem like a really good idea...

http://sculptedeers.com/products/

Have any of you audiophiles looked into them?
That really shouldn't be necessary for most people. My turbines came with about 20 tips. I believe Sony (and plenty others I'm sure) sell the tips alone. A good set of foam or gel tips should fit the vast majority of ears (and make your IEMs sound a ton better).

Old 04-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #100
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That really shouldn't be necessary for most people. My turbines came with about 20 tips. I believe Sony (and plenty others I'm sure) sell the tips alone. A good set of foam or gel tips should fit the vast majority of ears (and make your IEMs sound a ton better).
I had a pair of Shure E3Cs given to me as a gift. Of the tips I tried, these were the best...

...but they hurt after less than an hour. I could never get the foam tips or large flange tips inserted properly, and the medium flange tips would never stay sealed. Maybe I have very dainty ear canals?

So because of my poor fitting experience with the Shure's I'm hesitant to spend the bucks on another set of IEMs, and also why I'm interested in the custom approach.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote