Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yeah reading your post again the AKG studio's are very leaky.. they are an open headphone so you can hear things around you (ie doing studio work). So while they wouldn't be a great fit for work I would recommend them for home.
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #22
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwo_threefour View Post
For those of us not in the know, those are what exactly? If I'm going to look into them it would be useful to know what they are! I don't even recognize the logo, so you'll need to give me the company name here...
Those are Monster's "Beats By Dre" Studios. Very tough to get a read on them. whathifi and stereophile are both pretty big audiophile publications and they both rated them well, but there is a ton of hate for them on audiophile forums. Pretty weird.

Also pretty expensive at $349 retail. I won't pay that but I'm looking at trying them out and getting BB or FS to price match someone else.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #23
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

The cost on Grado headphones in Canada is often much higher than you can get it from a US website for.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #24
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I've got some Sennheisers.

Check this page out for some ratings, reviews etc...

Octothorp, how did those Grados set you back?
I believe my SR60s cost about $120, but I got them about five years ago. I got mine at The Audio Room, which is at the corner of 14th street and 12th ave SW. At the time, they were the only place in Calgary where I could find them, but it seems that there are more places carrying them, so I'd phone around.
edit: I'd also note: they aren't the most structurally robust set of headphones I've owned. The construction of them is such that they really shouldn't just be tossed in a bag with some laptops and books if you're carrying them to and from work every day.

Last edited by octothorp; 01-25-2011 at 03:31 PM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #25
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I would give the akg studio's a try. Gilaume gaumechi (haha spelling) wears them. They rule.. if you get the studio's they are low resistance meaning they can be loud without an amp. Most comfortable guaranteed.

Thought there was another thread about this! I should have copy pasted. But yeah.
I have AKG K171 Studio on ear headphones. They sound amazing. I bought mine at Long & McQuade. I have yet to listen to better sounding headphones, but I've never tried Grados either. Also, this model of AKG is not leaky.

Here's a link to the specs: http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKGK171STUDIO

Last edited by Kjesse; 01-25-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #26
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I use the akg k181's when I dj and they are amazing. Key to key mixing is amazing. They have broken on me but I use them constantly. The best thing is that when I brought them back to axe, the company fixed broken straps and sent them back...amazing! My technics on the other hand had a 90 day warranty. Akg has 3 years.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #27
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just ordered a Westone UM2 Dual Driver in-ear monitor. Great reviews, good shape for inside a full-face helmet, and comply tips for noise reduction. Will provide feedback once they arrive.

And for those who don't think motorcyclist should be able to listen to music, please rip the stereo out of your dash and smash yourself in the face with your cell phone.
Mad Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Mel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #28
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

headphone.com is a pretty good site for this stuff by the way
Old 01-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #29
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got a pair of the Monster Beats By Dre Studios on a price match.

I never realized how crap-sounding most of my music collection is. I'm going to kill my bandwidth getting better rips of all my favorite stuff.

Easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever used. Not too heavy, not too tight, fits my ears perfectly.

Build quality does seem a bit sketchy for $350 headphones. The case is great but I'm scared of busting them every time I unfold them.

The mute feature is awesome, press a button on the right phone and it reverses the noise cancellation and mutes the audio. As far as I'm concerned every set of headphones should have this feature.

The noise cancellation is cool but doesn't cut out the outside world quite as completely as I'd expected. Most ambient noise is gone but I can hear myself typing pretty clearly. This is my first pair of NC phones though so I have nothing to compare it to yet.

I'm no audiophile but the sound is pretty incredible to me. I was expecting to have to reduce the bass so it didn't overpower the music but it's actually very balanced. I'd like to compare against some higher quality components to see just how good the sound reproduction really is. With these turned up it's near impossible not to be tapping your foot to the music, you really get hooked in.

Which is why it's sad I have to take them back. The sound leakage is completely unacceptable for me. I listen to music fairly loud but not cranked, and I've got co-workers sitting 10 ft away asking me to turn it down. Apparently not everyone appreciates Lateralus. Crazy, I know.

theonlywhiteout, you mentioned that you didn't get any sound leakage - do you have the Studios or the Solos?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #30
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
I have AKG K171 Studio on ear headphones. They sound amazing. I bought mine at Long & McQuade. I have yet to listen to better sounding headphones, but I've never tried Grados either. Also, this model of AKG is not leaky.

Here's a link to the specs: http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKGK171STUDIO
Do these need to be amplified?

Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #31
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

For non-leaky headphones i might recommend the akg 271.. not sure about the 171 but the 271 is at 55 ohm resistance so would not 'need' amplification, although you could buy the cheap airhead amp for added coolness
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-271-mk-ii.php
Old 01-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #32
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like ear bud/in ear monitor style headphones and after reading lots of reviews, I bought a pair of Klipsch Image S4 (mainly for use with my iPhone). The sound quality is quite good and the tips are really comfortable for long periods of listening.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...e-s4-overview/
Old 01-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #33
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron View Post
I like ear bud/in ear monitor style headphones and after reading lots of reviews, I bought a pair of Klipsch Image S4 (mainly for use with my iPhone). The sound quality is quite good and the tips are really comfortable for long periods of listening.

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...e-s4-overview/
These are a great set. These are my "walking around" headphones and they're excellent. A touch aggressive on the high-end, imo, but the best buds I've used for sure.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #34
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get these dude:
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products...Headphones.htm

Damn this thread to hell.. now i need them
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #35
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
For non-leaky headphones i might recommend the akg 271.. not sure about the 171 but the 271 is at 55 ohm resistance so would not 'need' amplification, although you could buy the cheap airhead amp for added coolness
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-271-mk-ii.php
Thanks, I'll check these out too. I'm going to go down to Mother's and do a side-by-side comparison of the 171, 271, and the Beats.

Both of those AKG models are closed-back so I'm hoping for less leakage than on the Beats.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #36
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Just got a pair of the Monster Beats By Dre Studios on a price match.

I never realized how crap-sounding most of my music collection is. I'm going to kill my bandwidth getting better rips of all my favorite stuff.

Easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever used. Not too heavy, not too tight, fits my ears perfectly.

Build quality does seem a bit sketchy for $350 headphones. The case is great but I'm scared of busting them every time I unfold them.

The mute feature is awesome, press a button on the right phone and it reverses the noise cancellation and mutes the audio. As far as I'm concerned every set of headphones should have this feature.

The noise cancellation is cool but doesn't cut out the outside world quite as completely as I'd expected. Most ambient noise is gone but I can hear myself typing pretty clearly. This is my first pair of NC phones though so I have nothing to compare it to yet.

I'm no audiophile but the sound is pretty incredible to me. I was expecting to have to reduce the bass so it didn't overpower the music but it's actually very balanced. I'd like to compare against some higher quality components to see just how good the sound reproduction really is. With these turned up it's near impossible not to be tapping your foot to the music, you really get hooked in.

Which is why it's sad I have to take them back. The sound leakage is completely unacceptable for me. I listen to music fairly loud but not cranked, and I've got co-workers sitting 10 ft away asking me to turn it down. Apparently not everyone appreciates Lateralus. Crazy, I know.

theonlywhiteout, you mentioned that you didn't get any sound leakage - do you have the Studios or the Solos?
I have studios. I can't believe someone 10 feet away is hearing them, that's insane. My coworkers are always asking to use them when they're doing work that allows them to use headphones and I can't hear them when they're 2 feet away. Strange stuff
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #37
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet, would like to hear what you think of them. I use the akg240 studios which i've had for 8 years.. they are leaky though which is fine for me but i wonder if the 271's are better. i had to replace the earpads on mine and the 5 meter cord it came with is starting to kick out at times. Then again this is 8 years lol.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #38
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh god why is my entire library 192kbps!!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #39
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found my QC15's on sale at a store in the South, picked them up for $290, which is $60 cheaper than I found them anywhere else. It's a lot of money for a pair of headphones, but most of the others I was looking at were between $250-270.

As for the performance of the Bose, I don't think there's anything that comes close to their design. I've had self prescribed audiophiles that openly HATE Bose products tell me that the QC15's are an incredible listening experience. The bass reproduction in them is awesome, and not over the top like the Beats, which to me sound like a 17 year old's civic a week after he got an amp and sub installed. Too much bass ruins music. I've also experienced first hand how weak Beats are. The bracket that goes over your head is cheap plastic. I've broken a pair by putting them on the same way I'd put on any pair of headphones.

It's really preference though. You shouldn't have trouble trying out any of these before you buy them, and I'd strongly encourage you to do so, if for no other reason than to make sure they fit the shape of your head and ears.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #40
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm im the process of converting my favorite albums in iTunes into Apple Lossless . . . Gonna need a bigger harddrive.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote