Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-07-2021, 06:43 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default smartening up my home

Since I work from home, and Covid has made me spend a lot more time at home, I decided to do the whole Google Smart thing. I decided on Google because I don't really use amazon all that much and it caused a major pain in my a$$ when my account was stolen.

So I decided to do as much as I can, right now even though I've seen smart shades I haven't done those because they're cost prohibative, nor any of the security stuff, which I might do at some point down the road.

My first step was doing the lights. I ended up using a combination of Phillips, Sengled and Lifx. Now these bulbs aren't cheap at all, On average a wifi enabled smart bulb sits around $20 to $25.00. However there are some benefits. They're extremely power efficient for the most part, and they have a extremely long life. So I might die before they burn out. I do like the color aspects of it. So for example I can set up different light schemes in different rooms, or go with a softer light scheme late at night.

Original my plan was to just simply replace the light switches and continue to use normal bulbs. But decided on the bulbs for the potential costs savings. So I replaced 13 bulbs. 4 in my kitchen, two in my bedroom, two lamps in the family room, 2 bulbs in my office, 2 hall way lights and 3 in my bathroom. So I probably spent around $250 bucks on bulbs.

The next thing was setting up google hubs. I went with a couple of different ones. I went with the Hub Smart Max for the bedroom and the Kitchen. I picked them because they have large screens and very good speakers. They are also fully functional. Each of those is about $299.00. For the family room and office I went with the regular google nest which has a smaller screen and maybe not as powerful of a speaker, each of those is $129.00, I also mounted a Nest mini in my hallway so it could hear me from my bathroom for example or when I walk in. that was about $35.00

I also decided to replace my thermos stat, again I wanted to be as efficient as possible. I picked up a google nest smart thermostat for about $180.00.

Installing this stuff was pretty straight forward. Obviously screwing in the lightbulbs, plugging in the hubs and installing the thermostats.

Where it can get a little tricky is in terms of the lightbulbs. Each brand requires you to install their app and then link it into the Google Home assistant on my phone. That can take a little bit of time. With the Litfx I ran into a problem with them continually losing my wifi. So I had to go into my Shaw router control panel and disable my airtime fairness setting. After that everything worked well.

Setting up the hubs is simple. You basically turn them on and go through the settings to connect them to your wifi. Make sure if you have duel networks that you use the 5G one.

Once you have that all set up, you have to go into your google home assistant app. Basically you can see all of your devices, bulbs, hubs etc, you need to assign them to your home, and then setup rooms and put the devices in each room. Once you have that, you can then set up your routines. right now I have routines for getting up in the morning with a sunset feature that slowly turns on the lights in the bed room and family room for example. I have a routine for leaving where I say "I'm leaving" and all lights that are on are shut off, and I have one for "I'm home" that turns on my hall and family room lights. These commands also effect my thermostat, turning down or turning up the temperatures.

Last weekend I picked up the google TV Chromecast. I had the choice between the simple Chromecast and the google tv version which was about 30 bucks more at about 50 bucks.

I plugged it into my TV and followed the set up. Then I linked it into my google account and set up my different streaming services like Netflix and Disney and downloaded some of the free ones that are available for movies. Super easy, barely an inconvienience. It was easy to set up in my google home assistant, then I added my TV's to my roomes and voila, voice command TV with easy access to streaming.

The biggest downfall for me right now is that Shaw's bluecurve app isn't available as an app in google chrome. If I want to do that I have to do a cast from my phone. Its the same for example with the WWE network. theres no native app in the chrome cast.

Overall its cool to have that star trek type voice command on everything. I even added some small smart gardens for some veggies.

There are some drawbacks and maybe I can't figure it out. But in terms of I can make phone calls through my hubs which is really nice. However I can't see a way to get incoming calls through my hub. Also the video conferencing side of things isn't great. It would be nice to have a native zoom app or something like that. In terms of things like youtube. I find it easier to go to sleep with some noise of a video. A crackling fireplace or space sounds with video or whatever but the youtube app is limited, I can't bookmark my favorite ones or save them for later.

The spotify link is great, and I love that I can cast to different speaker sets throughout the house. But it would be nice to more easily bookmark where you stop playing music without having to go to your spotify app. to do those changes.

But other then that, I might look at some of the smart locks and a camera for my front door, though I've never been broken into. Smart shades would be really cool to have but they're expensive.

Once you get everything set up the way you like it, there's a certain coolness in operating lights, TV and temperature through your voice. Or to be able to change things from the road through your phone (Though you can't do it through Android auto just let in case you leave the iron on).

PS the bulb change has made about a 5% or more difference to my average electricity bill and reduced my footprint so that's a plus as well.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use the command, "Resume Spotify" instead of telling the assistant to open or stream from Spotify. Does that work for the "bookmarking" thing?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'll try it, it probably does work, I would love it if you could book mark last songs played in each library.

But smart idea on your part, I never thought of that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #4
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'll try it, it probably does work, I would love it if you could book mark last songs played in each library.

But smart idea on your part, I never thought of that.
Yeah, it wouldn't be a true "bookmark" and I think if you went into Spotify and played stuff on a different device, that spot would be lost and it would basically resume there instead.

For the white noise, can you program one into Google home? I'm not sure about Google home because I personally use Echo (Amazon Alexa). However, there's hundreds of "skills" like white noise that you can download via the Alexa app. For my kids, I use combinations of car ride/white noise/pink noise/lullaby sounds etc. regularly for their sleep. You can program a duration (I think default is 30 minutes), or just having it on infinite loop by using the command "loop" when the skill is being used. I looked it up in the Alexa app. There is a skill called Fireplace Sounds by Sleep Jar. It seems you can do this with an Echo. I did a quick search that said just to tell Google Home to play a fireplace sound.

https://support.google.com/googlenes...64558?hl=en-CA

I do agree to a certain extent that on occasion, there are some limitations on using the smart hubs. However, I've also learned there's some really obscure commands out there that are exactly what I am looking for.

Case in point, whisper mode in the Alexa ecosystem. I can whisper to the unit to stop and it will work and respond with a super low volume. Great if my child is sleeping rather than a booming, "OK!" that wakes up the child.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #5
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I never cared about smart home, but I wanted to be able to close my garage door, or at least check to make sure it closed from anywhere. But I bought a google nest mini on a whim cause they were like $30 at costco. Then I got some Wifi plug-ins. A month later I basically never have to flick a light switch or turn on a lamp like some kind of peasant again

My biggest complaint is when the nest confirms my command by repeating it back to me. "....Ok, turning off two plug-ins called Christmas Tree"

Surprisingly, when fireplace shopping none of the four places we went had smart models that could be controlled by Google, Alexa, etc
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I never cared about smart home, but I wanted to be able to close my garage door, or at least check to make sure it closed from anywhere. But I bought a google nest mini on a whim cause they were like $30 at costco. Then I got some Wifi plug-ins. A month later I basically never have to flick a light switch or turn on a lamp like some kind of peasant again

My biggest complaint is when the nest confirms my command by repeating it back to me. "....Ok, turning off two plug-ins called Christmas Tree"

Surprisingly, when fireplace shopping none of the four places we went had smart models that could be controlled by Google, Alexa, etc
I've done some reading on this as I was interested in installing a smart switch for my fireplace, and apparently it's against code. A bug or a misclick in an app and you could turn on the fire with nobody home and not realize it until the house burns down. And after dealing with erratic behavior from my smart garage opener and some wifi lights, I'm content to leave the fireplace dumb
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Makes sense. But now I'm equally surprised none of the fireplace salesmen mentioned or knew this. One even said I could install a smart wall switch to control it, in addition or instead of the wireless remote it came with.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Makes sense. But now I'm equally surprised none of the fireplace salesmen mentioned or knew this. One even said I could install a smart wall switch to control it, in addition or instead of the wireless remote it came with.
If it has an IR or RF remote, it can be smartened up with something that integrates with either Alexa, SmartThings, or whatever Google is calling their stuff today.

Something like the Broadlink RM Pro or even the Mini.
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=broadlink+...f=nb_sb_noss_2

I have an older RM Pro that I use to control dumb devices that have remotes like those Xmas laser lights, portable AC's, older LED lightstrips, and even non smart TV's.

Once setup, you can use Alexa voice to control them and automate functions into scenes or automations in SmartThings.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 10:34 AM   #9
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only part of my home I'm really interested in smartening up is lighting with colour bulbs, even some white ones. Not as easy as I thought as there appears to be many standards. Thankfully they appear to becoming cheaper so not too concerned with throwing the dice on something. Love the idea of white bulbs matching the sun rising or setting or being able to have them turn on or off while on holidays.

I was at the Source the other day and they have a brand called "bright". Also looking at Canadian Tire, Noma appears to be entering the market. I think it call comes down to how good the app is.

Is Phillips Hue still the gold standard?

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 12-15-2021 at 10:37 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #10
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Only part of my home I'm really interested in smartening up is lighting with colour bulbs, even some white ones. Not as easy as I thought as there appears to be many standards. Thankfully they appear to becoming cheaper so not too concerned with throwing the dice on something. Love the idea of white bulbs matching the sun rising or setting or being able to have them turn on or off while on holidays.

I was at the Source the other day and they have a brand called "bright". Also looking at Canadian Tire, Noma appears to be entering the market. I think it call comes down to how good the app is.

Is Phillips Hue still the gold standard?
I picked up some Wyze color bulbs for my outdoor lights. They have the highest brightness rating of any bulb I looked at, not too expensive and the app works well

https://www.amazon.ca/Wyze-Labs-WLPA.../dp/B08WZ5THJ7
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #11
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smart bulbs are for lamps. Period. If it's a switched light, it can never be smart. You'll spend more time going, 'hmmm that didnt work... Oh, the wife/kids/friends turned the switch off' then actually using it properly.

For switched lights, get a smart switch. If you really think you'll need the colour bulbs, get a HUE bridge, HUE bulbs AND the HUE Switch Module.
https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/p/...71160#overview
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #12
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sold info, thanks Barnes.

Coloured lights very much a want, don't need em, but I do like the ambience they can create.

Haven't dabbled much in smart lighting. Closest I've come is some LED strips that go behind the TV my wife bought me for Christmas last year and a bit of a gag gift. Turns out we both love the effect.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #13
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Smart bulbs are for lamps. Period. If it's a switched light, it can never be smart. You'll spend more time going, 'hmmm that didnt work... Oh, the wife/kids/friends turned the switch off' then actually using it properly.

For switched lights, get a smart switch. If you really think you'll need the colour bulbs, get a HUE bridge, HUE bulbs AND the HUE Switch Module.
https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/p/...71160#overview
Well the Wyze bulbs remember whatever settings they were configured with if they lose power, so if it was on and red at the time someone flipped a switch, it will return to that state when the switch is flipped back on. That way they work just like dumb bulbs that you can specify the colors for

I went a step further in my config though. I run Home Assistant and I replaced the light switch that controls my outside sockets with a Z-Wave switch, and I configured the switch to control the bulbs through HA. So the bulbs never lose power, all my auto on and off automations work, and the switch can still turn them on and off
Old 12-16-2021, 09:46 AM   #14
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
This is what I am wondering too. I've been thinking about doing similar to CaptainCrunch but does that effectively mean everyone in the house has to be set up on phones etc. to run the lights etc.? That seems like a huge PITA. Also is that even feasible on a home with mixed Android/Apple users?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #15
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well the Wyze bulbs remember whatever settings they were configured with if they lose power, so if it was on and red at the time someone flipped a switch, it will return to that state when the switch is flipped back on. That way they work just like dumb bulbs that you can specify the colors for

I went a step further in my config though. I run Home Assistant and I replaced the light switch that controls my outside sockets with a Z-Wave switch, and I configured the switch to control the bulbs through HA. So the bulbs never lose power, all my auto on and off automations work, and the switch can still turn them on and off
Yeah, your setup is essentially what I was getting at without having to get into HA, Z Wave dongles etc. Control is at the switch and fortunately Wyze bulbs return to their previous state when powered on. Not all smart bulbs do this. Even Hue bulbs used to turn on default full brightness white after the power was cut so it was a constant open the app adjust the bulb when someone messed with the switch. If there was a power failure in the middle of the night, all the lights used to turn on full brightness when the power came back.

I have outdoor potlights and too wanted coloured lights. I have a Zwave switch and the outdoor lights come on at sunset -25 mins and off at 11:00 and between 11:01 and sunrise on again if there is motion on the Ring doorbell to scare away Wet Bandit types.

I bought some theater lighting colour gells that I cut into circles and tape over the potlight lenses. Red and green for Christmas, purple for Halloween, green for St Paddy's day....

The terms Smart and Smarthome are challenging. An app enabled bulb that can be controlled by your phone and or voice doesn't make ones house any smarter, it just adds functionality. Adding automations to have it turn on and off makes it smart but if you have to add limitations like taping over a switch or beating a family member when they use the switch limits the usefulness.

I always look for the simplest automation solution for a problem and a lot of the time it doesn't need to be a web enabled thing. My son always left our powder room light on. I replaced the dumb switch with a dumb switch with a motion sensor and timer. I could have added a z wave switch, and a zigbee motion sensor and automated it with SmartThings or a HUE bulb and HUE motion sensor and set up rules in the HUE app. I added these motion switches to all the rooms we go in and always turn on the light. Walk in closet, laundry room, mud room...

The biggest challenge of the Smarthome is balancing doing something cool and spousal acceptance. You cant add functionality while limiting or changing normal everyday usability or habits. My wife and I still almost come to blows over our Z Wave blinds.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #16
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
This is what I am wondering too. I've been thinking about doing similar to CaptainCrunch but does that effectively mean everyone in the house has to be set up on phones etc. to run the lights etc.? That seems like a huge PITA. Also is that even feasible on a home with mixed Android/Apple users?
Not necessarily. You’ll need a phone/iPad to set it up but that’s all. Hue bulbs for instance can be set at certain levels after a power outage. So if you don’t have a phone, you can turn on the lights simply by flicking the switch off and then back on. You can also set them all up to work through a voice assistant so once it’s set up, all you need is your voice. You can also get external buttons and place them around the house. They can be programmed to turn bulbs on and off or set to certain scenes.
Like Barnes said though, it’s a pita if someone flicks the switch off. Then you’ll need to get up and flick it back on.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:06 AM   #17
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'm going to get that Wyze for my backyard. I like to leave it on at night. I also switch it out whenever I want to do backyard astronomy. Having a red light is perfect for astronomy because red lights don't dilate your pupils and you can see and adapt to the viewer so much easier. Having the Wyze that I can change would be more convenient than getting a step stool to change the bulb.

I use a yellow light in the summer because it is supposed to not attract bugs... that actually hasn't made a difference.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Not necessarily. You’ll need a phone/iPad to set it up but that’s all. Hue bulbs for instance can be set at certain levels after a power outage. So if you don’t have a phone, you can turn on the lights simply by flicking the switch off and then back on. You can also set them all up to work through a voice assistant so once it’s set up, all you need is your voice. You can also get external buttons and place them around the house. They can be programmed to turn bulbs on and off or set to certain scenes.
Like Barnes said though, it’s a pita if someone flicks the switch off. Then you’ll need to get up and flick it back on.
It's a PITA because some of you aren't increasing physical smart gadget options.

https://www.switch-bot.com/products/...xoCq2UQAvD_BwE

Old 12-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #19
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just installed a nest thermostat in my small commercial building. It seems to take way longer to get the space to temperature than the old thermostat and the temperature reading on it is off by 3 degrees (showing 17 when it's really 20).

Anyone have any tips or experience with this?

Furnace is just a normal carrier home type unit.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:36 AM   #20
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I just installed a nest thermostat in my small commercial building. It seems to take way longer to get the space to temperature than the old thermostat and the temperature reading on it is off by 3 degrees (showing 17 when it's really 20).

Anyone have any tips or experience with this?

Furnace is just a normal carrier home type unit.
Is the time to temp setting on? (ie: Does it attempt to slowly warm to temp to save energy vs going full bore until you hit the temp ASAP).

Temp reading off is odd. No idea. Bad unit maybe?