Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-11-2022, 03:28 PM   #2381
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Anyone done a PC Health Check, on their Windows 11 eligibility?

The returning message I just got;

This is an error?

On this list of eligible processors, there are fricking Atom's & Celerons...
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors
It's the age, not the type. You'd have to move to at least 8th gen for official Win 11 support

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/these...run-windows-11
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 03:30 PM   #2382
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone done a PC Health Check, on their Windows 11 eligibility?

The returning message I just got;

This is an error?

On this list of eligible processors, there are fricking Atom's & Celerons...
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tel-processors
Win 11 requires TPM 2.0 though there is a hack for motherboards with TPM 1.2 that allows Win11 to be installed.

6700ks don't support TPM 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #2383
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I recently got a nice docking station setup for my home office and work laptop, and it's got me contemplating whether I want to actually build a new gaming PC which was my original plan. The work PC is very nice, Dell XPS with an i7-1065G7, so I'm thinking why not use it with an external GPU for my gaming. Anyone here have an eGPU setup? Doing some reading it looks like there is some loss of performance compared to a standard PC with internal GPU, so I'm wondering what card would work best for this laptop. Is it worth going all out with a GTX 3080? Or would the CPU become a bottleneck, and I'd be better off saving money with a 3070?
Old 05-11-2022, 11:46 PM   #2384
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I recently got a nice docking station setup for my home office and work laptop, and it's got me contemplating whether I want to actually build a new gaming PC which was my original plan. The work PC is very nice, Dell XPS with an i7-1065G7, so I'm thinking why not use it with an external GPU for my gaming. Anyone here have an eGPU setup? Doing some reading it looks like there is some loss of performance compared to a standard PC with internal GPU, so I'm wondering what card would work best for this laptop. Is it worth going all out with a GTX 3080? Or would the CPU become a bottleneck, and I'd be better off saving money with a 3070?
I found that using Thunderbolt with an eGPU is handicapping your PCI-E to 4x instead of 16x.

You'll take at least a 25% hit to FPS.

The bottleneck is the interface before your CPU.

3060 Ti or 3070 is the max I would put in an eGPU.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 12:56 PM   #2385
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

More "all gaming PCs running as VMs on a single server" pr0n from Linus. I love the idea of this, having all the noise and heat somewhere in my basement.

Old 05-12-2022, 01:45 PM   #2386
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
In addition to Hack&Lube's comments on the interface bottleneck, you're likely to see performance limits due the CPU as well. Modern games typically now run faster with more than 4 cores and the 1065G7 is only 4 cores/8 threads. It's also limited by its TDP, only 15W (possibly 25W) which would limit its all-core clock speed significantly.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 02:54 PM   #2387
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and buy a full gaming laptop now that Thunderbolt is on all of them. Think I'll wait though until the GTX 4000 series launches, since it looks like as big of a jump as the 3000 series was
Old 05-12-2022, 03:40 PM   #2388
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I had a decent X360 laptop, Caldigit T3 dock and I had nothing but issues. I did not have any faith in adding a eGPU to the equation. I decided if I wanted to game, I should get something dedicated. Now I have a high end desktop and I play mostly Counterstrike
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:14 PM   #2389
photon

Exp:

I wonder how good the 4000 series will be on mobile. Already we're at the point where power budget seems to be the factor determining gaming performance.. you can pay extra $$ to get a 3080 but if the laptop itself doesn't have the power and cooling to make a difference you'll end up with the same performance as a 3070 or lower.

Rumours are talking about 450W and 600W for 4000 series, will be very interesting to see if a mobile 4000 series GPU will outperform a 3000 at the equivalent power budget.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:04 AM   #2390
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I wonder how good the 4000 series will be on mobile. Already we're at the point where power budget seems to be the factor determining gaming performance.. you can pay extra $$ to get a 3080 but if the laptop itself doesn't have the power and cooling to make a difference you'll end up with the same performance as a 3070 or lower.

Rumours are talking about 450W and 600W for 4000 series, will be very interesting to see if a mobile 4000 series GPU will outperform a 3000 at the equivalent power budget.
There's no doubt a 4000 series will out perform a 3000 series. But you'll need that laptop to to be plugged in 24 hrs a day. Christ a 4070 is rumored to be pulling 450 watts a 4090 for a desktop will be 600 watts plus. A whole system on a 4070 rumored is 1200 watt psu. A 3090 ti with i9 only needs a 850 watt .

Nvidia is going full Remy gpu model . For those that remember Remy. It's basically #### efficiency let's giver all the gas we got. Amd really spooked Nvidia last gen. Better fps and less power. Christ , the 6900xt for half of the 3090/3090 ti ate up Nvidia in gpu rasterization performance power. Rtx goes to Nvidia but lately I've been turning off RT on my 3080 because you really need to go out of your way to find the pros of the tech at this stage. 2077 is a good example. In 2077 you have to be staring at a puddle or light intentionally to get the best of the 30% frame drop. Florescent lights in games look better but it has a smeared with Vaseline over the lens look.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 05-15-2022 at 04:13 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:59 PM   #2391
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know very little about these things...I want to get a monitor for second screen use with my laptop and gaming (basically just some racing games as I've got the itch to dust off the steering wheel).

I'm not picky and will look for something used...I'm thinking that as long as it has an HDMI port then it shouldn't be so old that it totally sucks...is there anything else I should be looking out for? PM me if you've got an old monitor that needs a new home...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 11:16 AM   #2392
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

1440p maximum resolution. Even if you have a gaming PC, you need to be honest about whether or not your setup is capable of driving a 4K resolution with high detail quality. Most used monitors are going to be less than 4K anyway, but just in case you see one, you're probably better off not going that route.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 11:42 AM   #2393
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
1440p maximum resolution. Even if you have a gaming PC, you need to be honest about whether or not your setup is capable of driving a 4K resolution with high detail quality. Most used monitors are going to be less than 4K anyway, but just in case you see one, you're probably better off not going that route.
Was just planning to use my PS3 and maybe upgrade to a PS4...though it hadn't occurred to me until just now that my laptop might actually work (or more likely my wife's new Macbook Pro). Looks like there might be a few hoops to make it work on Mac but it's probably the simplest/cheapest way to get a newer F1 game.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 01:13 PM   #2394
photon

Exp:

This is neat, a 3:2 aspect ratio monitor! This would be interesting for developer monitors or creators. I don't think I'd want one for gaming though. Or I'd love one as a 2nd/3rd monitor especially if it was cheaper or if it had a portrait mode.. but it doesn't even have a VESA mount

https://www.amazon.ca/HUAWEI-MateVie.../dp/B09PQKN5J8
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2022, 08:44 PM   #2395
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think square monitors need to be a thing.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:35 PM   #2396
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I think square monitors need to be a thing.
This one is pretty close at 8x9.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 12:52 AM   #2397
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
This is neat, a 3:2 aspect ratio monitor! This would be interesting for developer monitors or creators. I don't think I'd want one for gaming though. Or I'd love one as a 2nd/3rd monitor especially if it was cheaper or if it had a portrait mode.. but it doesn't even have a VESA mount

https://www.amazon.ca/HUAWEI-MateVie.../dp/B09PQKN5J8
No , because it's Huawei.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 12:20 PM   #2398
photon

Exp:

Seeing video card prices continue to drift downwards.. I have a 2080 and a 2650x1440 27" monitor currently for gaming, and for the most part it works well. There have been a few games recently where it's not quite up to snuff and have had to drop some quality to get 60fps+.

I would like to upgrade to a 32"ish 4K monitor.. it won't be wide screen I don't think, I finally got a chance to try a Samsung G9 ultra wide screen and it took about 3 seconds of game to induce vertigo. It's been like 5 years since I had a serious bout with vertigo but it seems I'm permanently altered, no wide screen gaming for me

Anyway with GPU prices coming down starting to wonder if I can get away with a 3080 for 4K gaming or will I be right on the edge like I am currently with my 2080.

If it's on the edge might be better to wait for the 4080 or next gen AMD? Or if a 3080 is good enough I could probably still wait for the prices to come down even further when the new ones are released.

Any experience with 4K gaming on a 3080?
Old 07-07-2022, 01:44 PM   #2399
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The RTX 3080 beats the RTX 2080 Ti by about 40% in average 4K FPS. It should make your 2080 look like Intel Iris Xe by comparison.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2022, 04:19 PM   #2400
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have both a 3080 and 3080 Ti and I'll say the 3080 Ti is much better at 4K, esp if you like to pump details. The extra VRAM overhead helps a tad as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: