Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #61
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
In the meantime all you can do is judge on what is at present.

RB already an issue for you lot.
For the 3 games before the window closes we have Dier who has played games as RB

If Wanyama isn't fit for the weekend and Dier plays cm, or even ifnhe plays CB because Dembele and winks can play in the middle, likely just go 3 at the back and have Sissoko play rwb

If it was long term it's an issue and I think the window should close before the season starts anyway, but it's not an issue until September

Also disagree on the depth, it's not great but it's no different than anyone else outside city

At CB they have Toby, Vertonghen, Dier as the core 3, Wimmer behind them, and in a back 3 Davies plays there for Wales already.

At striker, they missed Kane for 9 weeks already last year., That's a key injury and it didn't lead to disaster. Son scored a bunch when they played as a hybrid false 9 rotating the front 4 with alli and eriksen

It goes against what poch is saying if they don't sign a RB and an attacker before the end of the month, if they don't depth becomes an issue
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #62
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It's not easy for PL clubs to compete for the title and meaningfully in Europe as well.
No, but it's no easier for the Spanish and Italian teams also but the fact of the matter is that the top teams strive for both. Only Munich in the snoozefest that is that league has the luxury of focusing on the CL only.

It's not strictly about who has the best starting 11 if you want to compete at the Premier and CL level.

Quote:
Manchester United played 54 matches last season and used 32 players, evidence if ever it was needed that the modern-day squad requires quantity as much as it craves quality.
On the eve of a new campaign it is the norm to debate the respective merits of each side's strongest starting XI, but what about those in reserve?
Here, Sportsmail takes a closer look at the second XIs of each of last season's top six before returning our verdict on how they would fare against each other...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...gth-depth.html

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #63
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
For the 3 games before the window closes we have Dier who has played games as RB

If Wanyama isn't fit for the weekend and Dier plays cm, or even ifnhe plays CB because Dembele and winks can play in the middle, likely just go 3 at the back and have Sissoko play rwb

If it was long term it's an issue and I think the window should close before the season starts anyway, but it's not an issue until September

Also disagree on the depth, it's not great but it's no different than anyone else outside city

At CB they have Toby, Vertonghen, Dier as the core 3, Wimmer behind them, and in a back 3 Davies plays there for Wales already.

At striker, they missed Kane for 9 weeks already last year., That's a key injury and it didn't lead to disaster. Son scored a bunch when they played as a hybrid false 9 rotating the front 4 with alli and eriksen

It goes against what poch is saying if they don't sign a RB and an attacker before the end of the month, if they don't depth becomes an issue
You're making my point for me.
You don't have a RB for this weekend and you yourself are basically saying that Poch may have to adapt a different formation to deal with it.
And as you said, any sort of long term injury to Trippier (who btw is still very much an unproven commodity) and it's an issue. You don't have a long term solution.

Last edited by Bagor; 08-08-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #64
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you want to argue against a lack of depth, "Sissoko can play RWB" is not exactly a killer argument. Ouch.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #65
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see where the confusion is, I very clearly said If they haven't signed someone by the window closing its an issue. Because of the players they have available right now it won't be for 3 games, it would be for 50+. They don't need a long term solution on August 8th, if they don't by September 8th it's a problem

playing Dier at RB where he has done so before and been called up to the national team as before isn't a huge problem, playing a winger at wing back isn't a huge issue either

Also the formation thing isn't true. They have played 3 different formations in pre season and played 4 pretty heavily last year. No one knows what he was going to play Sunday anyway
Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #66
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't see where the confusion is, I very clearly said If they haven't signed someone by the window closing its an issue. Because of the players they have available right now it won't be for 3 games, it would be for 50+. They don't need a long term solution on August 8th, if they don't by September 8th it's a problem
I don't like this argument. In both of the past two seasons Spurs dropped crucial points in August.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #67
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I don't like this argument. In both of the past two seasons Spurs dropped crucial points in August.
Wasnt transfer related

Their only transfer in July or August last year were Janssen/NKoudou/Sissiko. Wanyama was June

year before they had Toby, Trippier, Wimmer all by July 15th. Son was in August, but he didnt start for awhile, was behind Eriksen/Lamela/Chadli
Old 08-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #68
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wasnt transfer related

Their only transfer in July or August last year were Janssen/NKoudou/Sissiko. Wanyama was June

year before they had Toby, Trippier, Wimmer all by July 15th. Son was in August, but he didnt start for awhile, was behind Eriksen/Lamela/Chadli
That's not my point though. You can't say it doesn't matter if we don't have depth as long as we do by the end of the transfer window because there are still 9 points at stake between now and then.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #69
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya I can see that, but they do have a RB in Dier, he played well in the role for 30 games 2 years ago, he's an international level player

He's too good at the other spots to be their full time, but to fill in for a few games, if they are taking a bit longer to get the preferred target, it's not a big deal

if they didnt have him and were throwing a youth squad player in there it would be another story
Old 08-10-2017, 02:44 AM   #70
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Danny Rose praising the Manchester clubs, questioning Spurs' ambition and talking about getting fair wages.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...ve-wage-worth/

I guess we salty United fans weren't so wrong after all.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:05 AM   #71
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Danny Rose praising the Manchester clubs, questioning Spurs' ambition and talking about getting fair wages.

Well money talks. I mean Rose signed a new contract, played one game and was injured and now thinks he doesn't earn enough? It's pretty clear that City is paying Walker a pile of money and Spurs just can't compete with that.

Of course that is couched in "ambition" and things like that, but the truth is it's money.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #72
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Jesus, do United fans actually believe that B.S. about having more ambition or prestige than other clubs? You have more money than most other clubs. That's it. You actually think clubs such as Spurs and Everton aren't bringing in £100M transfers or giving out wages of £250k because they just don't want to win?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #73
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jesus, do United fans actually believe that B.S. about having more ambition or prestige than other clubs? You have more money than most other clubs. That's it. You actually think clubs such as Spurs and Everton aren't bringing in £100M transfers or giving out wages of £250k because they just don't want to win?
It just makes them feel better. Spurs are completely irrelevant and have no ambition and all that, but then they can't wait to mention us and hope to buy all of our players. In other words, clubs like City and Man U are showing ambition by buying the same players we have, but we're not ambitious for keeping them.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #74
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

jeez you lot are touchy today. Oh well.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #75
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
The Glazer family will sell a further two percent of Manchester United shares worth around $73.91 million (£56.85m) on the New York Stock Exchange, sources close to the club have told ESPN FC.

The sale of 4,347,826m shares, through parent company Red Football, is set to complete early next week but the football club will not see any of the money.
http://www.espnfc.us/manchester-unit...change-sources

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #76
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Meanwhile, a club that is actually having a very good transfer window...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...liam-carvalho/

Quote:
West Ham bid club record £27.1m for William Carvalho
There are rumours he may be having a medical tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #77
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

West Ham have done really well. Not sure Hart and Zabaleta are upgrades, but Arnautovic, Chicharito and Carvalho (if they indeed sign him) certainly are. All of those should also help when it comes to getting the best out of Lanzini. Terrific window for them.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #78
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
West Ham have done really well. Not sure Hart and Zabaleta are upgrades, but Arnautovic, Chicharito and Carvalho (if they indeed sign him) certainly are. All of those should also help when it comes to getting the best out of Lanzini. Terrific window for them.
I agree with everything you wrote. I think Zabaleta and Hart will help as experienced leaders. After last season's Payet fiasco, some team spirit can't hurt.
West Ham's defence and goalkeeping are both a source of concern, though.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #79
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha. A tad touchy?

Yes. When compared to Spurs but that is no big claim. Not just United. Look down Seven Sisters at your neighbours.

As has been mentioned you lot celebrate finishing second. That speaks volumes in itself. Wenger qualified for the CL x many years in a row and yet the fans aren't happy. Spurs finished 2nd two years in a row, embarrassed themselves in Europe and Poch is the great saviour?

It's a legitimate observation to note that they have a distinct lack of ambition.

You lot are just salty that one of your players has said pretty much the same thing that we have been. Basically, if he wants to win he needs to look elsewhere. They are/were at a unique position in being a few players away from the title and Levy did nothing.

Rose isn't saying anything new. He simply wants to win. You're deluded if you think he's alone in Spurs lack of ambition. From the end of last season.

https://mobile.twitter.com/5liveSpor...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #80
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
I agree with everything you wrote. I think Zabaleta and Hart will help as experienced leaders. After last season's Payet fiasco, some team spirit can't hurt.
West Ham's defence and goalkeeping are both a source of concern, though.
I don't get the Hart signing. I really don't.
He's proven to let you down, again and again....