Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The CP Musicians Thread

Alright, some knob signed up a while ago to try and pimp their band under the guise of some board-wide discussion. I thought it was a good idea, but when it was revealed they did the same thing across multiple sites, it died pretty quick. So as a relatively veteran member, I figured I would start one up. I know there are some musicians here, it'd be cool to have a place where we can share each others stuff. Maybe even a couple bands can form. Let's try to keep comments positive, and anything critical should be constructive. No need to be crapping on each other here.

Me and some friends just finished some live recordings before I left for the coast this summer. We'd been playing together since 16 years old, so really it was just for s**ts and giggles, no intent on trying to make something of it. With three writers, and three vocalists, the style varies a decent amount, but it's all pretty centered in rock/blues/folk/indie. Check out our stuff on SoundCloud under Tako Man.

https://soundcloud.com/user-998785620/sets/live-cuts

Just because I suspect some people might know some of the guys in the group, it is:

Luke Carson: Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Backup Vocals
Matt Carson: Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Cajon
Cullen Colville: Vocals, Guitar, Drums
Sean Swanton: Bass, Backup Vocals

Hope you enjoy and post your own stuff!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Handsome Gadabouts were the inevitable result of the collision between two teenage music nerds, raised on the classic rock radio of the 1970s and the promise of the 1980s challenge to the establishment. Fans of every genre of music (except new country and folk), the Gadabouts straddled the line between homage and parody, unafraid to play any style. They answered Frank Zappa’s question, “Does Humor Belong In Music?”, with an emphatic yes.

Just out of high school, the duo met in suburban Calgary in the mid-1980s, as line-cooks in a local Western Theme Park. Chris O’Reilly was already an established guitar player, able to play every progressive hard rock song heard on local AOR stations. Peter Robinson dabbled in piano, drums and guitars, and was drawn to the new college radio phenonemon. The pair cemented the relationship in the kitchen, reciting the macho banter of Freddie Mercury, or by singing Steely Dan songs in the hot-tub, while under the influence of mushrooms and Kokanee Beer.

Robinson left Calgary to attend university, usually returning to Calgary and the hot-tub every summer. O’Reilly starred in a number of local bands, including The Snakeskin Cowboys, White Dogs, Vicious Fish, Tongue, Groove, and The Hot Tub Bandits. Robinson made his professional debut as the bass player for Trespass To Chattels at a Law School talent show at UBC. A lack of talent and profound stage-fright, kept him from performing publicly for many years.

Returning to Calgary permanently in 1998, Robinson reunited with O’Reilly, when they first began to collaborate on song-writing. At first, it seemed the duo would be a recording entity only, but they eventually performed their first live show at Lower Kananaskis Lake before an audience of three squirrels and a whiskey-jack.

Currently, The Gadabouts are working on a debut EP, being released on their own record label – The Handsome Gababouts, Get In Your Pants, featuring the singles "Ogopogo (Can I Touch Your Body?"), "Mr. Bulsara" (Freddie Mercury tribute), "10,000 Hours" and "Ape Has Killed Ape" (B-side "No Caeser, No!").

The first full length album Cowtown, is a projected concept album/rock-opera about growing up in Calgary, featuring, "We’re Having A Party Ed Whelan (And You’re Not Invited)", "Freaks vs. Jocks", and the bar-trilogy, "Punch-Up At Live Wire", "Sham At the Shamrock", and "Eulogy For The Cecil Hotel".
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since the demise of server-room rockers "The Genuine Null Point" in the late nineties I have been bandless as life, kids, etc. took over. Would love to get back to jamming - rhythm guitar, bass, some vocals, into most music that's not heavy metal or country
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to get back to writing my album. I've written a few songs, just singer/songwriter type stuff, pretty much just acoustic guitar. I think I have a few recordings on my computer. Maybe I'll throw them up on soundcloud one day.

Biggest hurdle for me is writing lyrics. I'm just so terrible at it.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Punch-Up At Live Wire
Ape Has Killed Ape" (B-side "No Caeser, No!)
We’re Having A Party Ed Whelan (And You’re Not Invited)

It's like you are writing songs about my life. I'd buy these.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matty, that first song off your link is my kind of jam.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I tried to start a band a back in High School. There were maybe 2 people in my school who played anything besides Guitar. I was not one of them. Got bored of playing other peoples stuff on guitar so I started reading about how to make electronic music and the rest is history

If anyone is interested in working with a bedroom producer for kicks, send me a pm. I've always wanted to work with other musicians and mixing rock and electronic music is totally the in thing right now anyways.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #8
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Punch-Up At Live Wire
Ape Has Killed Ape" (B-side "No Caeser, No!)
We’re Having A Party Ed Whelan (And You’re Not Invited)

It's like you are writing songs about my life. I'd buy these.
I will need advice from you and Aeneas, when I write the lyrics.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
"Punch-Up At Live Wire"
LOL.

I'm pretty sure I have brain damage from that place. I had a love hate relationship with it, the 2 years of my drinking age it was still open.

Then they turned it into "The Purple Turtle." WTF??!!!

OT: Who remembers Malarkey's in the Hospitality Inn? Absolutely awesome when your best friends works the front desk at the hotel, and you could get rooms for free on weekends after the bar shut down.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

OK...quiz time for the old guys here. This was a gig we played in town many moons ago. Can you name the room?

rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

That has a Curly's, Rascals, Dewey Stevens vibe.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #12
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
OK...quiz time for the old guys here. This was a gig we played in town many moons ago. Can you name the room?

City Limits?
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Marquee Room?
Old 09-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #14
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Matty, that first song off your link is my kind of jam.
That's my brother's song. It has one of my favorite lines in music.

"Guess the time's come and gone when we had to worry about being wrong. It's plain to see, that's what it means to be free."

I firmly believe if he steered his life in the direction of music, he would end up being considered one of the greats. Guitarist, lyricist, producer, all of it. The dude is a magician.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #15
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Probably a long shot but anyone here ever used any mastering services they can recommend? I'm weary as I've used a few online and I swear they just run it through a mastering plug in and pick a preset and call it a day.

I have a remix I'm really anxious to get out and spam everyone with.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:47 AM   #16
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Sled Island is accepting applications for bands for June 2017, starting October 4th:

http://www.sledisland.com/apply