Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2016, 01:45 AM   #41
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

DC fans are petitioning to have Rotten Tomatoes shut down due to the "fact" that "It's Critics always give The DC Extended Universe" films "unjust Bad Reviews". [poor grammar theirs, not mine].

I fail to see how this is Rottem Tomatoes' fault -- they don't review the films.

https://www.change.org/p/rottentomat...otten-tomatoes

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:17 AM   #42
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes...I'm sure that trying to silence a/the critic(s) will strongly help their case...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #43
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the success of Deadpool (an R rated 'comic book' film) had been known earlier, DC would have had the balls to deliver an edgier Suicide Squad film that would have more captured what it is all about.

It may be terrible, but I can't miss Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. No, matter, what.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #44
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

In their defense how can we verify that these "critics" have seen the movie and that its not just a reddit drive by attack on the movie? Someone should form a legitimate site that works with the theaters and prints a code on your stubs that you can use to enter a review verifying that you at least paid for your opinion.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #45
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Photon posted this in the Sci-Fi thread, but it appears the reason the DC movies keep getting bad reviews isn't because Marvel is paying critics off or whatever other theory the DC fans want to believe, it's because Warner Bros meddles way too much, and doesn't seem to know how to do these kinds of movies.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-rushed-916693
Old 08-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #46
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to cross post the same thing, not sure why we're discussing it in two different threads.

But yeah, it's a total self-fulfilling prophecy. There's so much anxiety over the film succeeding commercially that they meddle to the point where it's a bad movie, and as a result doesn't succeed commercially.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #47
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I see a critic gave it a 0 - wtf? This movie can't be that bad - not when 10,000 people have already given it an 8.5/10 on imdb.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #48
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I see a critic gave it a 0 - wtf? This movie can't be that bad - not when 10,000 people have already given it an 8.5/10 on imdb.
Likely the same 10,000 people who think Rotten Tomatoes is out to kill "their" movies.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #49
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Likely the same 10,000 people who think Rotten Tomatoes is out to kill "their" movies.
Fair point! I noticed the 0 critic gave Air Force One a perfect score.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #50
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Yea, I never take early IMDB ratings seriously, especially when there's a massive deviation between IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes (they are usually at least close in their ratings). If you look at the ratings breakdown, of the 9411 votes so far, 7000 are a perfect 10/10.
LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #51
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
In their defense how can we verify that these "critics" have seen the movie and that its not just a reddit drive by attack on the movie? Someone should form a legitimate site that works with the theaters and prints a code on your stubs that you can use to enter a review verifying that you at least paid for your opinion.
Cinemascore is like that but they only do first day showings (which skews the reviews a lot for fanboy movies). Metascore is another user rating site.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #52
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Movie review aggregation isn't worth that much effort or time.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #53
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm fata

Last edited by FlameOn; 08-03-2016 at 11:03 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #54
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Photon posted this in the Sci-Fi thread, but it appears the reason the DC movies keep getting bad reviews isn't because Marvel is paying critics off or whatever other theory the DC fans want to believe, it's because Warner Bros meddles way too much, and doesn't seem to know how to do these kinds of movies.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-rushed-916693
God reading that makes me hope the movie bombs hard. Maybe then Warners will figure out that letting directors run show.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #55
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

That is what rotten tomatoes is though. No Reddit conspiracy, just aggregate scores from critics. Check out the page on Suicide Squad for yourself
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #56
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I found this writing my thesis, you sit there staring at the same conclusion and keep changing 2 words here, 3 words there and then you send it out not making any sense. Sometimes the best way to edit is just to delete things.. there was a lot in BvS they could have trimmed. Sounds like Suicide Squad is the same way. I of course will still go see it to pass my own judgement.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #57
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
God reading that makes me hope the movie bombs hard. Maybe then Warners will figure out that letting directors run show.
I don't think it is that simple.

First and foremost the writers, directors, studio and even the actors have to be willing to do the characters justice. This isn't always true - see GOTG fans upset that movie bastardized their portrayals or any Alan Moore adaptation - but generally speaking DC movies suffer from either the studio, writer or director not giving a crap about what made the comic book character so popular in the first place. Don't even worry about a good movie, worry about whether or not the movie even has anything to do with the source material. Then worry about making sure it is good.

Where Marvel has hired people who love these characters and want to do them justice, DC has gone with a flavor of the week choice and seem more interested in establishing tentpoles than making good movies. Although let's not kid ourselves Marvel does both.

Of course when I say Marvel I (mostly) mean Disney and when I say DC I mean Warner.

Second, DC needs to learn that sometimes less is more. Batman Begins was a fairly simple movie, TDK got bigger and TDKR was huge scale. Get people interested in your universe and build from there.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I didn't realize there was such a DC vs Marvel fanboy war. I don't think you need to be a comic book fan to realize that DC movies for the most part have been vastly inferior to Marvel movies.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #59
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Man I didn't realize there was such a DC vs Marvel fanboy war. I don't think you need to be a comic book fan to realize that DC movies for the most part have been vastly inferior to Marvel movies.
I think you have it backwards. Comic book fans aren't the only ones capable of seeing that Marvel movies are better. In fact, they aren't capable at all. Some hardcore DC fans don't care that Marvel movies are better, they are fanboys, they support DC movies no matter how terrible.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #60
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

Really? I've seen a good portion of these lately but not all. I would say the Dark Knight trumps anything marvel has put out. I'm not a big superhero buff though. I find most of em shlock.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post: