Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #21
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

One of my favourite reviews described Luthor as a malfunctioning android, what with his weird twitch and nonsensical decisions and all.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #22
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lex Luthor and Doomsday should not have been in this movie, It would have been much better without them.

5/10.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #23
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liked the movie overall.

Loved Cavill, Got and Affleck.

Eisenberg was a trainwreck. Absolutely awful, and it hurt the movie significantly because he was the villain - and a nonsensical one at that.

Excited for DC going forward, but gah...Eisenberg was just terrible. Terrible.

Quote:
They should have used that scene as a reason for why he lets up on Superman. The mothers with the same name thing was absurd ... I'm going to stop the ultimate weapon.... No wait our mother's have the same name... Let's be best friends instead.
That's an absurd simplification. In the movie, it struck me that Bats saw the humanity in Superman in that moment. That he had love for his mother in a very human way.

Last edited by ComixZone; 03-25-2016 at 03:27 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #24
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

9/10 for me. I thought it was amazing but I wasn't crazy that the reason for the two fighting was because of Martha Kent being held hostage. I would have gone with something where either Batman or Superman has crossed the line for one of them and he decides that's enough. I didn't think the editing was as much of an issue as some are making it out to be.
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #25
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
That's an absurd simplification. In the movie, it struck me that Bats saw the humanity in Superman in that moment. That he had love for his mother in a very human way.
Then you're giving the people who wrote and directed this movie far more credit than they deserved.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #26
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Way too much slow-mo.

Hated every scene with Superman and Lois....so god damned cheesy, wish she would just die.

It was just a weird movie all together, I actually liked MoS better.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #27
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Then you're giving the people who wrote and directed this movie far more credit than they deserved.
My explanation for the Martha scene is that Zack Snyder, when he started researching for the movie 2 or 3 years ago, stumbled across the fact that both characters have mothers named Martha, and it blew his mind. He then insisted the scene remain in the movie, because "The world must know!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Way too much slow-mo.
Like long monologues in a Tarantino movie or lens flare in an Abrams movie, you know there's going to be lots of slow-mo in a Snyder movie. If slow-mo was this movie's biggest problem, it would be sitting pretty.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #28
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

$28M on Thursday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #29
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Just saw it. I didn't think it was bad but it felt....weird. That's really all I can think of right now.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #30
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Oh and Wonder Woman can get it
Old 03-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #31
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The music that played when WW joined in the battle seemed very 80's to me. Just added more cheese to a pretty cheesy movie. Batfleck was a nice surprise though. I'm looking forward to his take on the next Batman movie. I wish Zach Snyder would just go away. I have no idea why the studio lets him direct such a big movie franchise while getting mixed/mostly mediocre reviews. It's like continually giving your teenage son the keys to your Porsche and see him drive across the lawn and into the neighbors fence. Eventually he may get it right, but I'm sick of seeing his #### attempts.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wontondestruction For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2016, 10:43 PM   #32
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite part was when Batman murders a bunch of thugs using automatic weapons. Really in step with the character. This happens multiple times. Doomsday is in the movie and his bodycount doesn't come within a country mile of Batman's.

Some more questions:

1. How does Lex know Clark is Superman?

2. How does Lois know to go get the kryptonite spear? Nobody told her and if she was near the fighting, she'd be killed instantly. Furthermore, as far as she knows this is the only weapon on earth that can kill her boyfriend, so her plan is to drop it into a puddle that will surely never be contacted by humans again. Unless someone decides to redevelop the building. Or if the government just goes poking around the site of a superhero grudge match for funsies. Maybe wrap the tip in a sweater and don't let it out of your sight until the situation calms down.

3. Who keeps letting Zack Snyder direct these things? He has two semi decent comic movies to his name, and both are shot for shot replications of their source material. His contribution to 300 looks to have been an Instagram filter. As for Watchmen, when was the last time any of you saw it?

4. Why is Superman so careless with his strength? When he saves Lois in the desert, he puts a guy through at least three walls. That seems a bit murdery to me. That scene needs to be Superman disarming the bad guy and subduing him in the blink of an eye. Like he's Superman. Instead he's some thug cop, and the terrorist gets to play Walter Scott.

I've not instantly hated a movie this much since Man of Steel. Superman is dead, folks. Zack Snyder killed him.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:54 PM   #33
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm actually convinced that DCs problem is that no one in charge, from the studio, producers, directors and writers have any faith or devotion to the source material. From top to bottom Marvel has people that are either dedicated to comics or directly involved in them or both.

Nobody who respected the characters would do this to Batman, Superman or Lex Luthor.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 PM   #34
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed it.

Can see the usual suspects already have the nit-picking hate train in full force though.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2016, 04:05 AM   #35
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everything up to Doomsday was solid. Batfleck was solid throughout. Loved his battle with Superman and him rescuing his mom. I liked the Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg reveal. Looking forward to the WW movie, but her role in this movie seemed unnecessary.

I wasn't a fan of the future dream sequence. Completely out of place and added very little to the story at hand. Probably confused the crap out of the general public probably.

Pacing was a little off at times, but I did like how they handled Batman's introduction. I'm probably the only person here who liked Eisenberg's take on Lex lol.

The whole last battle sequence was a stupid hot mess that had a totally different tone than the rest of the movie. But as a mindless CGI cut scene it was okay I guess lol. At least Doomsday looked better in the movie than in the trailer.

Luckily early negative reviews tempered my expectations, and came out liking it a little more than I thought. That being said I wouldn't die if I never saw it again lol. 6.5/10.

Last edited by Teh_Bandwagoner; 03-26-2016 at 04:09 AM.
Teh_Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #36
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontondestruction View Post
The music that played when WW joined in the battle seemed very 80's to me. Just added more cheese to a pretty cheesy movie. Batfleck was a nice surprise though. I'm looking forward to his take on the next Batman movie. I wish Zach Snyder would just go away. I have no idea why the studio lets him direct such a big movie franchise while getting mixed/mostly mediocre reviews. It's like continually giving your teenage son the keys to your Porsche and see him drive across the lawn and into the neighbors fence. Eventually he may get it right, but I'm sick of seeing his #### attempts.
That score felt so out of place in the movie. I personally hated how they tried to pull off a dark tone throughout most of the movie, almost trying to copy what Nolan did without the same effect, only to end it in a cheesy note that made it feel confusing & uninspired.
sadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #37
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I absolutely loved it. Big, action packed superhero movie with cool scenes and surprises. I had high hopes and not disappointed. Supremely entertaining and all I could ask for. Different style movie than Avengers but come on, Superman vs. Batman!

Last edited by Strange Brew; 03-26-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #38
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavill is in a tough role as Superman is a really difficult character to make interesting so I give him a bit of a pass. Affleck and Gadot were pleasant surprises. If nothing else, I'm interested in seeing Gadot future DC movies.

The entire car chase for the Kryptonite felt silly. It's hard to take the scene too seriously with the physics oddities all over the place. Fair enough that I'm trying to apply physics to a movie with flying heroes and unchecked exploding wheelchairs.

The music accompanying Wonder Woman felt horribly out of place. And the slow motion shots in the same area of the film...well....I'll be happy if they move Snyder out of the Director's seat in the future. It's all gratuitous and only really works in certain movies. Certainly not this one.

The one action sequence that worked well was the actual Batman vs Superman up until they end the fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
As for Watchmen, when was the last time any of you saw it?
A couple weeks ago. It's my favourite Snyder directed film. Though that's not a terribly high standard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
I'm probably the only person here who liked Eisenberg's take on Lex lol.
I'm the second then. It's an interesting take on the character. Granted, it might not be because I'm not really attached to arrogant, intimidating genius Lex...as such, I don't mind the idea of a more crazy and awkward Lex with an actor clearly having a lot of fun with his own antics.

There are a lot of better choices (I know a lot of fans wanted Cranston for the role and I would bet he would turn in a great performance), but the rest of the movie (especially the dark tone they wanted) fell flat so Eisenberg's goofiness came off as interesting and a positive for the film.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #39
sadora
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I'm the second then. It's an interesting take on the character. Granted, it might not be because I'm not really attached to arrogant, intimidating genius Lex...as such, I don't mind the idea of a more crazy and awkward Lex with an actor clearly having a lot of fun with his own antics.

There are a lot of better choices (I know a lot of fans wanted Cranston for the role and I would bet he would turn in a great performance), but the rest of the movie (especially the dark tone they wanted) fell flat so Eisenberg's goofiness came off as interesting and a positive for the film.
I didn't mind Eissengberg as much as some of the other problems with this movie. His performance was weird and psychotic but it worked and it was fun to watch.

As much as I'm a fan of Cranston and think he would do an amazing job with the Lex role, I think it would be difficult to see him on screen with his head shaved and not see Walter White.
sadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #40
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Saw it today, and thought it was good, but a bit messy.

I feel like there is a great 90-115 Minute movie in here.

Random thoughts:
1) Why have the entire Africa plot to open the movie? Should have been straight to the Senate hearing following Metropolis's destruction. (Like the Trailers led us to believe) Did not really see the point of the investigative work of Lois Lane, and this story felt wasted, besides linking it back to LexCorp.

2) NO MORE BATMAN ORIGINS. Please god, stop. Seriously. We have seen his parents die on screen like 5 times now. Have faith in your audience they know the origin.

Also, in this opening, Thomas Wayne escalates the situation by punching at the thug. This actually really fundamentally changes the scene It messes with the mythology of tBruce Wayne watching his parents die unprovoked. Take this out plus all the slow mo and there is another 5-10 minutes or so.

3) So Batman kills now? Like the above, this hugely changes the character...
Having said that, I did like Affleck as the dark knight.

4) Finally, Luther did not work for me. I get what they were trying for, but was a big miss.

Last edited by Jbo; 03-26-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote