Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #21
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've only seen GNR playing live on video and I wasn't all that impressed. Axel's high pitch voice was one dimensional and it was Slash's guitar that saved the day for them. It was the GNR live in Japan video that I saw I think.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #22
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been nearly 30 years since he had talent.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #23
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Guns N’ Roses Are Indeed Reuniting, According To Nikki Sixx

http://www.stereogum.com/1843757/gun...f&utm_campaign
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

No I would hope not, they were a lighting in a bottle band when they were together, but you could see things starting to slip in the use your illusion double.

We saw that Axl Rose unchained is pretty horrible Chinese Democracy was terrible.

I just have a feeling that Slash who is a much more mellow guy now won't be able to function with the enormous jerk that is fat axl

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #25
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well no kidding. Funny thing what a stroke can do to a person.
yeah, plus you know.... all of the heroin and coke.

I doubt they make any new music together. I doubt they can put aside the differences that broke the band up in the first place for long enough to do that.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #26
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Link

Got to say I'd love if this one came true. Axel may have gone all Val Kilmer, but the dude can still sing. Saw them in '93 On the "Use You're Illusions" tour when I was a wee lad of 13, and it was an amazing experience.
I don't mean any offense, but what Axel Rose performance in the last ten years could you have possible watched to think he can still sing?

His singing abilities have been anywhere from barely passable to huffing breaths into his mic while the other band members suffer massive second hand embarrassment in from of audiences.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:40 AM   #27
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
No, just Christgaud through their entire discography and they suck. That song being one of the worst. Axl is an admitted racist and homophobe too. Not sure how anybody thought they were cool.

Looks like Poison or Crue to me.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:49 AM   #28
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've always thought of GNR as a band that put out one of the greatest all time rock albums, then put a few good singles over the course of a bunch of bad albums (ie - outside of November Rain, use your illusion 2 is, imo, unlistenable garbage).

A few years ago Slash mentioned he was offered an 8 figure sum to do GNR again and refused.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:14 AM   #29
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of Chinese democracy was bad but there was some very good music on it as well. It was just bloated without slash and Izzy around to simplify things with there more straight ahead bluesy approach. the layers of instrumentation and they fit to get her though was quite impressive on close listens. On the other hand I always felt Velvet revolver was far too straightforward and mechanical. It didn't have the melodrama and emotion.

Not shocked Adler isn't involved. He's supposedly clean and sober but well it's Adler. Sorum was/is a boring drummer.

Sucks Izzy won't be involved but it also isn't a shock. He hates touring. I suspect that as he has done since the break up he'll join them for a few show for a few songs. If for whatever reason they record I'd hope Izzy is involved as he's a fantastic song writer. Patience was all him, he wrote most of the cords for Sweet Child, and his turns on vocals to me were the highlights of the use your illusion albums (dust and bones, 14years, double talking jive).

Last edited by ernie; 11-14-2015 at 07:23 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #30
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
No, just Christgaud through their entire discography and they suck. That song being one of the worst. Axl is an admitted racist and homophobe too. Not sure how anybody thought they were cool.

Looks like Poison or Crue to me.
You do realize the era in which they were introduced to the scene, right?
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #31
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Some of Chinese democracy was bad but there was some very good music on it as well. It was just bloated without slash and Izzy around to simplify things with there more straight ahead bluesy approach. the layers of instrumentation and they fit to get her though was quite impressive on close listens. On the other hand I always felt Velvet revolver was far too straightforward and mechanical. It didn't have the melodrama and emotion.

Not shocked Adler isn't involved. He's supposedly clean and sober but well it's Adler. Sorum was/is a boring drummer.

Sucks Izzy won't be involved but it also isn't a shock. He hates touring. I suspect that as he has done since the break up he'll join them for a few show for a few songs. If for whatever reason they record I'd hope Izzy is involved as he's a fantastic song writer. Patience was all him, he wrote most of the cords for Sweet Child, and his turns on vocals to me were the highlights of the use your illusion albums (dust and bones, 14years, double talking jive).
Axl seemed to be the epic type of songwriter, Slash the soloist/vocals on the guitar, and Duff the blues/driving element that showed up in Velvet Revolver. Maybe Izzy would write a couple of songs for them as his addition to the reunion, and then let everyone else tour. He definitely was the melody guy.

Taking the best of Use Your Illusion 1 and 2, and making one album, probably would have made it a pretty high quality and well received 12 songs.

Couldn't listen to Chinese Democracy long enough to appreciate it, I guess. It bored me at the time of it's release, proving to me that Axl wasn't the heart of GnR.

They were always missing that great drummer that the legendary bands have. Adler and Sorum usually just kept the beat.

It's 30 years later, and the songs still stand up. That's the sign of a great band.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #32
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

I prefer Buckethead over Slash but i doubt that will happen.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #33
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I prefer Buckethead over Slash but i doubt that will happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #34
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Buckethead is one of the best guitar players ever, and I too prefer him over Slash but an original reunion would be cool. Polak Bucket has played with dozens of bands in dozens of genres and recorded hundreds of albums.

He's not a good fit for gnr though, he Andy Kaufmaned it up his entire time in the band often playing nonsensical terrible noise because he obviously didn't respect the band.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #35
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I recognize his technical skill, but he, like bumblefoot, can't touch Slash in terms of being a rock n roll icon and shredders like that are, like you said, not really compatible with the true Guns N' Roses sound.

The solo to Sweet Child O' Mine should never have tapping in it.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #36
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I agree it shouldn't have had tapping, but he was most assuredly doing it to be offensive. He was clearly disgruntled from the very beginning and never put in an honest effort, Buckethead is all too often classified as a technical shredder when that's only a fraction of his repertoire.

He's made funk albums, metal, rock, bluegrass, ambient... heck he even recorded an album of lullabies for his aunt and his parents. I would argue in the long run Buckethead will be more prolific and more iconic than Slash. Some of his songs equal Slash's best imo. He could have perfectly emulated Slash but he chose to play like crap to get kicked out, it was all too obvious if you compare the rest of his work to his time in GnR. He gets pigeonholed as a technical shredder when that's the furthest thing from the truth. He is a true virtuoso and can play nearly anything by anyone if he so chooses.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #37
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Am I crazy or is GnR kind of overrated? The first album is alright but after that they kind of suck. They were a bit before my time, but I have a vague recollection of November Rain and I thought it was a pretty awful song even at a young age. I always lumped them with other hair bands like Poison but they seem to have inexplicably attained 'legendary' status over the last decade or so.
You're not crazy, they have always been massively overrated. They wrote a few solid hits and made a couple of solid covers, but that goes for a ton of other bands. Mostly they were very well marketed at a time when there wasn't really that much high quality competition in what was/is otherwise a popular genre.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #38
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that there was a bad song on Appetite for Destruction. Only a couple of misses on Lies. Use Your Illusion was bloated, but had a dozen great songs there. Spaghetti Incident was a decent cover album, that holds up over time. Sympathy for the Devil was a very enjoyable cover of a great song. And then the end.

Guns 'n Roses put together albums. For the last twenty years that has become exceedingly rare. It's much more likely a disc will have a couple of good songs, and a bunch of filler, and the hope is for a single. As one of the handful of bands that managed to put up an album on which you can hit play, and walk away, I give them a lot of respect.

They are not Zeppelin, but it's hard to think of a band today with that track record (literally track record) and popularity.

Side note : I recommend the Jean Luc Goddard documentary on the making of Sympathy for the Devil. It carries the writing process through recording, with a tonne of Goddard weirdness inbetween. It's also pure luck that the song ended up being what it was. It could have been a 'b' side of crap, but became instantly recognizable.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #39
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Appetite for destruction is one of the greatest rock albums of all time. After that, there's November Rain and then what else?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #40
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Guns 'n Roses put together albums. For the last twenty years that has become exceedingly rare.
Not at all. I can think of hundreds of great albums in the last 20 years.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote