Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #201
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The major problem with Robert's Rebellion focused series is that everyone will pretty much know the fate of all the major characters as a lot of it has been explained in the TV show. Not knowing what is going to happen to the characters is half the fun of GOT, IMO.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #202
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

No more Targaryens for me. I don't think I'd watch a prequel series set in that time frame.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #203
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The major problem with Robert's Rebellion focused series is that everyone will pretty much know the fate of all the major characters as a lot of it has been explained in the TV show. Not knowing what is going to happen to the characters is half the fun of GOT, IMO.
Maybe the make plot lines are known, but lots of other things can happen. People love historical dramas. One of the most successful movies if all time had the audience knowingly watch a ship sink.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:39 PM   #204
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree, book readers have known for most of the series so far and it hasn't taken away

Plus there's lot of stuff that the show hasn't touched on from Robert's Rebellion (and who knows if it will) so well it will be obvious that Robert, Ned etc. don't die. There can still be plenty of surprises
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 04:46 AM   #205
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I've really begun to despise prequels for this exact reason. It was an interesting enough idea 20 years ago when no one was doing it, but I just don't find prequels interesting anymore cause I know how it ends.

Course, maybe the storytelling is just lacking in so many of them now. I think often they're a lazy way to cash in on the popularity of a franchise. Half the plot is already written. Maybe a GoT prequel would be better. Though, like you said, one of the best things about GoT (if not THE BEST) is the fact that it's so hard to predict. You'd lose most of that.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:27 AM   #206
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Disagree, book readers have known for most of the series so far and it hasn't taken away

Plus there's lot of stuff that the show hasn't touched on from Robert's Rebellion (and who knows if it will) so well it will be obvious that Robert, Ned etc. don't die. There can still be plenty of surprises
I would suggest the majority of the viewers of the TV show are not book readers. Knowing things like Jamie Lannister will eventually kill the mad king, is akin to someone spoiling that Ed Stark will get his head chopped off. It just won't have the same impact. Major plot points in Robert's Rebellion have pretty much been spoiled.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-02-2015 at 05:45 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #207
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know why an episode of the telltale games thing won't load? I have the first 4 and the 5th one still says coming soon.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #208
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Anyone know why an episode of the telltale games thing won't load? I have the first 4 and the 5th one still says coming soon.
https://www.telltalegames.com/suppor...sode-5-on-ipad

"@Alienangie My apologies, if you are unable to download any episodes for the PC Telltale Games version of the game, please first make sure that you have downloaded and installed the latest Updated Critical PC/Mac Patch available for the game. After it has been installed, then start the game again, and you should be able to start the game successfully then download the new episode and play the game.

If you still experience any issues, you may still have older Archive files on your computer that need to be cleared out. To do this, please first uninstall the game from your computer (this will not harm your save files). Then open the following directory on your computer:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Game of Thrones\

Inside there, you should find an 'Archives' folder. Please delete this, then download a New installer from our website. This installer has been updated, and will add the new files you need. After you have reinstalled the game using that new installer, start it while connected to the internet, and you should be able to download and install both Episodes 4 and 5 from in-game. Again, my apologies for any difficulties this causes, and I hope this allows you to play!"
Old 08-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #209
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So with HBO saying they are willing to do 8 seasons + prequel series if the current GOT producers sign on, there is hope for a series focused on Robert's rebellion or perhaps on the how the Targaryans first established their dynasty?
Either do the 100 years ago Dance of the Dragons or go back way further, like Bran the Builder time.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #210
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hard to discuss prequels in the Game of Thrones thread because most of the material that could be in a prequel series is book material. *self destructs* Although I guess there were those extra features from the home releases...
Old 08-07-2015, 09:41 AM   #211
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

After letting the season spool up for 5 season, I finally took the plunge last month and binge watched it from start to end.

Great show. Typical HBO in the sense that characters are killed off left right and center without warning. Most shocking episode for me was the Red Wedding. I was flying to London a couple weeks ago with my cousin and we watched it on my phone. He's seen all the episodes so I had no idea of what was to come. Was expecting a happy reunion and instead all that stuff went down. Was pretty traumatised for the rest of the flight.

I'm also a huge fan of Cercei. Been a mega-fan of Lena Headey since her Terminator series. Kind of weird to see her as a bad guy in the show when she was such a badass in Terminator.

I thought the ending for season 5 was pretty well done. The epic fight scene between the WW and the Wildling camp was my favorite episode of the season. I didn't find the season to be that weak as others have said. Maybe because I was able to binge watch it all. I'm so glad I didn't start watching the show at the start when it was released. Having to wait this long would have sucked.

So finally I can say my bit in this thread after having never opened it before. I also find it amusing how some posters are all riled up about the main characters deaths and how unsatisfying their endings were (Stannis in particular). It's almost like they have never watched an HBO drama before...

Can't wait for season 6!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #212
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Even though I half expected the red wedding, the pure violence of it shocked me. The writers and director did a good job of disarming you too throughout the episode. Edmure making faces at his possible brides, Frey being a pervy dick, Dany wins a big victory, Edmure actually gets a pretty bride. All carefully planned to take you from bad to good so you don't expect what's coming next.

I knew Robb's bride and baby would die for sure. I was thinking, that Frey was thinking, you take my bride away, I'll take yours! I was 50/50 on Robb himself. Never expected Cat to get it. Thought maybe she'd save the day. My heart broke.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #213
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am still not convinced Stannis is dead. After how bloody and graphic the other deaths in the show have been I don't believe that the show writers wouldn't capitalize on the death of a major character in the same way with Stannis.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:47 AM   #214
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I am still not convinced Stannis is dead. After how bloody and graphic the other deaths in the show have been I don't believe that the show writers wouldn't capitalize on the death of a major character in the same way with Stannis.
Yeah, there's been a few cutaways on death scenes which make you wonder. I still wonder about the Hound at the end of season four.

Oh! Just had a great thought. Hound comes back and has to do battle with his reanimated brother. Revenge for the face burning while helping out the heroes a bit.

Then he kills Arya, cause she was really mean to him in the end, and didn't finish him off. Poor Arya.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #215
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately, as time goes on I think we're going to see more about the magic. The re-animated Mountain, maybe a few guys being brought back to life, a few people becoming White Walker minions.

And it might be okay. It might be. Its just that 'magic' can also be a real cop-out and thats a very unique thing about Game of Thrones, its uncompromising.

Your favourite character is dead? Tough.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #216
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Unfortunately, as time goes on I think we're going to see more about the magic. The re-animated Mountain, maybe a few guys being brought back to life, a few people becoming White Walker minions.

And it might be okay. It might be. Its just that 'magic' can also be a real cop-out and thats a very unique thing about Game of Thrones, its uncompromising.

Your favourite character is dead? Tough.

The mountain was fantasy pseudoscience, not magic.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #217
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
The mountain was fantasy pseudoscience, not magic.
I know that, but you get my point.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #218
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I know that, but you get my point.
Point taken, but to be fair, we've already seen someone brought back from death (Beric). However think of the positive magic could bring, like erasing all our collective memories of last years Dorne plot.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #219
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

can magic erase all memories of Dorne except for Tyene? and can those particular memories be amplified and extended?
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #220
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think those particular memories were already 'amplified' once