Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2021, 05:16 PM   #141
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

No surprise. He's getting back into the Paris Accord immediately. New Green Deal down the road.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:20 PM   #142
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Combining this with Biden's protectionist America first policies that he's going to enact, Canada's going to get the economic crap beaten out of it by the States.

And with Line 5's eventual shutdown, Ontario and Quebec are going to take a serious punch in the sack.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 01-17-2021 at 05:23 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #143
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...e-xl-1.5877038

Well that’s less than ideal, was hoping Biden would have had a change of mind.
How much actual tax dollars are we out due to this decision?
Old 01-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #144
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Isn't it something like 1.5 billion from the Province of Alberta.

And it was estimated that it would bring in 30 billion to Alberta and 2.4 billion to Canada.

IIRC

Old 01-17-2021, 06:18 PM   #145
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be absolutely honest, cancelling the XL pipeline on his first day, before he has had the opportunity to have access to the documents and internal information (that the current administration has been denying him) on the effects the cancellation will have on the economy of Texas and the jobs created by the construction itself, reeks of the kind of pandering to his extremist constituents that Trump engaged in during his term.

That's not even taking into consideration the negative effect of attacking the trade between the States and their closest non-dictatorship (China is still #1) foreign economic ally.

This is a very Trump decision, the only difference is that it is pandering to the left and not the right. Count me in as disappointed.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 01-17-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Harry Lime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 06:20 PM   #146
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We knew it was coming, he was pretty clear on it and his America First platform. But we thought he would be reasonable once he got into office.

We're about to be knee capped by our "friends", and Biden was pretty clear about what he was going to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 07:10 PM   #147
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well according to Robert Gates, Obamas first defense secretary, Biden "has been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades" so you can add this to the list. Stupid policy making, dumb pandering. On top of this I can't wait for him to allow more Iranian and Venezuelan crude into world markets for...some reason while kicking us in the balls a second time.

The best case scenario now is this goes into legal limbo with TC and the gov suing, which can hopefully use the legal-run-out-the-clock strategy to a pipeline's advantage for a change. Time gives more opportunity for the admin to see how stupid they're being, or maybe a chance for this old coot to get booted in '24, i dunno. Either way, same sad story for our beleaguered province, hope everyone who was setting their hair on fire for the last four years truly appreciates what its actually like to get ####ed over by the POTUS.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 07:14 PM   #148
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Ahh. That’s the type of partisan anger and delusion we’ve been missing the last four years.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 07:15 PM   #149
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Well according to Robert Gates, Obamas first defense secretary, Biden "has been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades" so you can add this to the list. Stupid policy making, dumb pandering. On top of this I can't wait for him to allow more Iranian and Venezuelan crude into world markets for...some reason while kicking us in the balls a second time.

The best case scenario now is this goes into legal limbo with TC and the gov suing, which can hopefully use the legal-run-out-the-clock strategy to a pipeline's advantage for a change. Time gives more opportunity for the admin to see how stupid they're being, or maybe a chance for this old coot to get booted in '24, i dunno. Either way, same sad story for our beleaguered province, hope everyone who was setting their hair on fire for the last four years truly appreciates what its actually like to get ####ed over by the POTUS.

Why didn't Trump get it done?
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:16 PM   #150
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Sure but he’s right.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #151
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

States blocked it. Trump fought for it and took it to the Supreme Court.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #152
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
States blocked it. Trump fought for it and took it to the Supreme Court.

Exactly. This was never going to get built.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 07:22 PM   #153
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
The battle was still ongoing but the Biden Adminstration withdrawing it on Day 1 shows where they are going. But we knew this.

The question now is does Canada fight for keystone? Or do they abandon it also.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:23 PM   #154
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's literally getting built right now, and will be up until Biden tries to kill it.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:23 PM   #155
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

It could get built if Canada wanted it to I think. Could you not tactically go down, not a trade war, but a tit for tat kind of reciprocity move?
Old 01-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #156
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
The battle was still ongoing but the Biden Adminstration withdrawing it on Day 1 shows where they are going. But we knew this.

Well we all know the answer to this.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:25 PM   #157
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

A reciprocal move would be like blocking american great lake shipping down the welland canal. So its possible but I doubt Trudeau would go down that road. Can't even blame him that much given his TMX exposure.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #158
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
It's literally getting built right now, and will be up until Biden tries to kill it.

Was it not on hold for various reasons. Last I heard a Montana judge shut it down, and the supreme courts was making a decision. Just because they are building parts of it, doesn't mean it's getting built. Unless I've missed recent updates, and it was full steam ahead. I feel like I would have heard that though.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:33 PM   #159
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Of course, I never expected to be completed regardless of who was in power. We're what? Twelve years into this?

You ask a good question. Seems like an easy win for Trudeau to at least fight for it, not like it's going to hurt him with other provinces, so why not?
Old 01-17-2021, 07:42 PM   #160
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Was it not on hold for various reasons. Last I heard a Montana judge shut it down, and the supreme courts was making a decision. Just because they are building parts of it, doesn't mean it's getting built. Unless I've missed recent updates, and it was full steam ahead. I feel like I would have heard that though.
Pipe is getting laid on the canadian side now. Pump stations (which are actually the most time consuming part, so it's not nothing although most measures of progress are km of pipe laid) were being constructed in the US. The main roadblock during Trumps administration has been a federal judge in Montana who has ruled against the pipeline twice, the most recent one last spring. He's a well known activist judge, his most recent miscarriage of justice was ruling that a streamlined US army corps of engineer permit program that has been in use since the 70s for every major infrastructure project in the states from pipelines to broadband was somehow invalid for keystone xl. I don't know where exactly that stands but the plan from TC was that pipe would be laid in the states this summer and 2023 would be the expected in service date. So this project was moving forward, under construction, it's not frozen or in limbo. Yet, I guess.

This is 100% a giant middle finger from Biden to us, that's undeniable no matter where you stand on Kenney or Trump or Trudeau or whomever else. USGC needs the crude we have, and instead of us piping it directly to them they'll be importing it from overseas. An added likely insult to injury is while shutting in our ethical production that benefits all of us biden will probably lift sanctions on Iran and Venezuela allowing more of their crude out. Allowing countries that not only don't share our respect for the environment, but don't even have common respect for their own people or human rights to be allowed market access by Biden while he denies us should make everyone furious. What will probably end up happening is once TMX is completed a lot of the heavy crude exported from Vancouver will wind up at the US gulf coast, it's only a slightly further sail than China and thanks to Biden it'll be the best way to get our crude to the states. So instead of a 2700km pipeline journey it'll be a 1,100 km pipeline journey the wrong way, followed by a 9,000km sail...yay environment!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post: