Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #401
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Why would the TV audio come into the equation there?
Also, good call on the Toslink. For some reason I wasn thinking it couldn't do 7.1.
The splitter downgrades to the lowest common denominator. Say one TV is 720p and the other is 1080p, the splitter can't send two different signal types, so it will downgrade to 720p so that both TVs can display a signal. It's the same principle for audio. You can try it, I'm just saying it won't work for some TV, receiver combinations.

I'm not positive a 7.1 from a toslink cable works as I haven't used 7.1 but I know Dolby Digital 5.1 works and is probably the easiest fix if you can get along without HD audio.

on the other hand I ordered this powered splitter about a week ago as it will give me some options I want to try and for the price it ain't a bad deal.

Last edited by Vulcan; 01-07-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #402
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Maybe I'm under-thinking this, but could you not get a cheap HDMI splitter from monoprice and output HDMI to the TV (for the video) as well as the receiver (for the 7.1)?

- - - update : something such as this - - -
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
The problem with this is that the audio and video will downgrade to the lowest common denominator, so if the TV only does 2.0 audio, that is what the receiver will play. Some TVs will pass 5.1 audio so I'm not saying it won't work, just that it may not. Probably the simplest option is to connect the blu-ray to the TV and use a toslink from the blu-ray to the receiver. You will lose HD audio but you should still get Dolby 5.1 or 7.1.

There are a few 3D blu-ray players with two HDMI outputs to solve this problem but they more expensive.
I bought this HDMI splitter and finally got it hooked up tonight, but it doesn't appear to work.

The pass through to the TV works, so I'm getting a 3D picture, but the receiver reports "No Signal Found". Any thoughts on a fix for this setup, or should I just move on to trying the optical audio cable?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #403
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I bought this HDMI splitter and finally got it hooked up tonight, but it doesn't appear to work.

The pass through to the TV works, so I'm getting a 3D picture, but the receiver reports "No Signal Found". Any thoughts on a fix for this setup, or should I just move on to trying the optical audio cable?
I'd try the optical cable for your audio. I honestly wouldn't have even bothered with a splitter, given your current predicament.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #404
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

About the only thing I can suggest is to try starting the receiver and TV in a different order and maybe check your cables and connections. Sometimes getting components to recognize the HDMI handshake can be difficult.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #405
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would like to upgrade my system on a budget. Costco has this package:
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....=1&topnav=&s=1

Which is going on sale for $700.

A better view of the receiver is here:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio..._u/?mode=model

I am not an audiophile by any stretch but would like a system to sound good but more importantly, from my wife's perspective, is to clean up the wire mess behind the tv, which I think this will do, allowing a single HDMI into the tv?

Any help or suggestions for the same price point for an equal setup would be greatly appreciated. I can't stress the non-techy part strongly enough. HTIB systems were made for guys like me.

Thanks in advance.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #406
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I'd try the optical cable for your audio. I honestly wouldn't have even bothered with a splitter, given your current predicament.
Not sure if anyone cares, but the optical audio cable did the job.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #407
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ok question about speaker placement. I have an oddly shaped room for my home theater set up and would like to try and go 7.1 as I had in old house but debating if I should go 5.1 for simplicity and if there really is a benefit to 7.1.

I am hoping for inwall speakers from monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...wall%20speaker I would get 2 fronts and center channel.

The problem is the sides. I have attached a very terrible paint picture to give a rough idea of where everything is. My projector is 14ft from the end wall and seating is about 12 feet. They all ready have some old speakers mounted into the ceiling at the 14 ft mark so that is where I would probably keep them. At the 8 foot mark from screen there is a drop down caused from support beam and it is built slanted facing the chairs. Would it be worth putting the 2 side speakers facing you or would that take away the whole point of the sounds coming from beside you.

Any help would be appreciated.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #408
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #409
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Would it be worth putting the 2 side speakers facing you or would that take away the whole point of the sounds coming from beside you.
In theory, putting side speakers before the seating position is not ideal. But with a 7.1 setup, it probably isn't too bad as the two back surrounds will help creat the illusion of space. I had a similar setup with the side speakers about a foot before the seating position and it's working fine.

I've had 5.1 for ten years now and I have to say the side speakers are over-rated. Yes they add to the enviornmental effect but outside of a few action movies, most movies don't make good use of them anyway. I'm now perfectly happy watching with just a good front 3 speakers.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #410
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The side speakers would be pointed at your face rather than on the side. Since on the right hand side there is nothing but open area and no where to mount. They would be on a slanted portion of a drop down aiming towards the couches.

I should also note I am not really an audiophile and my old setup was just an onkyo htib
Old 11-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #411
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
The side speakers would be pointed at your face rather than on the side.
I wouldn't bother if you have to point them towards you.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #412
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sounds good! Only half more basement floor to install then I am allowed to start setting up the theater and finish off all the drywall repairs
Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #413
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone with 7.1 at home... it's not really hugely useful. Despite the amount of time 7.1 has been in the wild, very little content actually makes good use of it. Most stuff is still in good ol' 5.1. Exceptions include Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks for movies. SOME video games can do 7.1 but most of the time, it's 5.1.

Only time I really notice the 7.1 is using Dolby Pro Logic II for music.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #414
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is what I am leaning towards for my HT:

Sharp 80" LC80LE844U 3D
Denon AVR 2313 receiver
Samsung BluRay BDE5900
Shaw DXC3400
Current Audio WS651 left, right and 2 x center in wall speakers
Current Audio CS501 in ceiling rears
Sunfire HRS 12 sub
URCMX900 remote

Thoughts?
AMG_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #415
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a huge Logitech fanboy (never had a bad experience with my 20+ Logitech purchases over the years) so I'd say take a look at the Harmony remotes.

http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/remote...l-remotes/3898 is a very sweet remote

Or if you really want to be a baller:
http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/remote...s/harmony-1100
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #416
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just bought the 1100! look forward to trying it out. Got a great deal in the buy sell
Old 11-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #417
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let us know how you like it once you're up and running.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #418
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Let us know how you like it once you're up and running.
One thing I don't like already is that my projector screen is RF and IR but I can't use the Harmony RF to access it I need to buy a Harmony RF extender and use it to blast IR. Not that big of a deal but would have made my setup a lot more sleek looking if I didn't have to have any of the projector visible
Old 11-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #419
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am in the midst of doing a basement remodel, and I have been wondering myself whether it would be better to do a projector or a TV. The wall we are thinking of putting the projector on is kind of a "cove" so it's limited to a 100" screen or so. That being the case, do you guys think it'd be better to just forego the projector and get a 80" TV? Would I notice the extra 20"?
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #420
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

A TV is more flexible (in that you don't have to give much concern to light control) for sure.. when I did my projector (with a 110" screen) even 50" TVs were many thousands of dollars more than the projector.

Unless you are going crazy with the projector I'd expect it still to be quite a bit cheaper than an 80" TV, but if I was making the decision today and money wasn't a factor, I'd be very tempted to go with the TV over the projector, again just for the flexibility.

Kind of depends how far away you are sitting as well.