Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #81
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a pretty amazingly dumb move. If I was a season ticket holder I'd be flipping the #### out right now.

Watch the team all year and then not get to watch them live in the most important and exciting games of the year, or in a barn with 1000 people instead 4500 whooping it up.

Pretty ridiculous.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:10 PM   #82
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn’t the same thing happen a few years ago. I want to say either Brandon or Moose Jaw?
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #83
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Didn’t the same thing happen a few years ago. I want to say either Brandon or Moose Jaw?
The Wheat Kings have to deal with that almost every year. The Royal Manitoba Winter Fair is held at the Keystone Centre at the end of March, which displaces the Wheat Kings for at least part of the first round.

In the past, they've played those games in Winnipeg, but the last couple of seasons, they've gone to Dauphin.

At least the Canes are able to play in the same city and don't have to drive 2 hours to play in a tiny rink.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #84
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
That's a pretty amazingly dumb move. If I was a season ticket holder I'd be flipping the #### out right now.

Watch the team all year and then not get to watch them live in the most important and exciting games of the year, or in a barn with 1000 people instead 4500 whooping it up.

Pretty ridiculous.
Could be worse, the Hurricanes had looked at playing the games in Calgary, so at least they get to stay in Lethbridge
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #85
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
This is something that the Hurricanes have said but was not true. The Hurricanes were consulted however their response was to the extent of "we would care but you won't get the Championships anyways." There were not giving the city credit.

With that being said, I'm looking forward to seeing some hockey at the Nich. It's been years since that arena has been full for hockey and that atmosphere should be intense.
Wouldn't surprise me if that was the way the Hurricanes dealt with that.

I have 3rd hand info that suggests it was just somebody who didn't have enough foresight to think about the Hurricane's playoff chances.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of season ticket holders who are not happy with this scenario.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #86
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if that was the way the Hurricanes dealt with that.

I have 3rd hand info that suggests it was just somebody who didn't have enough foresight to think about the Hurricane's playoff chances.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of season ticket holders who are not happy with this scenario.
I don't know the specifics of the dates but I'm assuming this would only be during the first round of playoffs? Curling is what, a 10 day event (two weekends) plus some time on either end for set up/tear down. So I'm estimating the Canes lose 2-4 home dates depending on if they are home team and how long the series goes. So just win the first round and it's back to normal after that. It sucks but fans need to make the best of it. They are allocating tickets by lottery if I heard correctly? Pack the place and make it rock. A small rink that is full can be incredibly intimidating to play in so give your Canes the biggest advantage you can by being there and being loud.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #87
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Curling Championships are from March 30 to April 7. The WHL regular season ends on March 17.

If the Canes have home ice in the first round, they should be able to play games 1 & 2 before the curling moves in. I don't know how long it will take to get the building ready for the curling, but they could potentially play games 3 & 4 beforehand if the schedule can work out.

The second round will likely start April 5 or 6.

In theory, if they finish second in the division and sweep the first round, then play the first place team in the second round, they could get away with playing all their games at the Enmax Centre.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #88
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they said at most 3 games will be at Nicholas Sheran. Too much is up in the air yet. I just don't think Nicholas Sheran is a very good venue.

The Hurricanes aren't charging admission for those games at Nicholas Sheran so they'll lose money on any games played there. It's a tough blow for a team who has recently been finally getting their financial act in order.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #89
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sickening that goons like Barrett Sheen continue to play hockey after delivering blindside hits to the head. Meanwhile Joel Craven is done with his hockey career after suffering his 4th concussion in 2 yrs.

You wonder what would have been different if that idiot hadn't laid out that nasty hit to the head last year. At that point, Craven was looking like he'd turn out to be a pretty powerful offensive type defenceman.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #90
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kelly McCrimmon is lucky knowing he messed up faxing in the paperwork to the league to trade away Stelio Mattheos. He is still running the majority of the hockey operations in Brandon and everything runs through him.

They have picked up their play of late and haved moved into a playoff spot.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #91
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Kelly McCrimmon is lucky knowing he messed up faxing in the paperwork to the league to trade away Stelio Mattheos. He is still running the majority of the hockey operations in Brandon and everything runs through him.

They have picked up their play of late and haved moved into a playoff spot.
Also helpis that Red Deer is in complete free fall. One win in eleven games I think
Old 02-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #92
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Also helpis that Red Deer is in complete free fall. One win in eleven games I think
The Tigers are also falling quite rapidly, 9th game in a row where they've scored 3 goals or less. Can’t beat anyone within the division either. The remainder of their schedule is brutal. Wouldn't surprise me if they are out of a playoff spot a week from now.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #93
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The Tigers are also falling quite rapidly, 9th game in a row where they've scored 3 goals or less. Can’t beat anyone within the division either. The remainder of their schedule is brutal. Wouldn't surprise me if they are out of a playoff spot a week from now.
Yeap, six straight L's now and handled rather easily back to back by the Canes. After jumping out to an early 2-0 lead in the first game they got outscored 11-1 the rest of the way.

I can't see them getting passed by Red Deer, but you never know.

Getting passed by Brandon though is nearly as bad, as all that means is a 1st round date with PA.

Hitmen have now pulled into 3rd in the division. Likely to face either Lethbridge or Edmonton in round 1 now.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #94
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Calgary wanted to help itself out, they do have 3 games remaining against Edmonton. I don't know if that will enough but they could hamper them enough to let Lethbridge take 1st and possibly have some momentum over Edmonton heading into playoffs
brocoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #95
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canes are about to embark on a 4 game in 5 night road trip of death.

Saskatoon
Prince Albert
Moose Jaw
Regina

Regina not so bad obviously, but that's the 4th game in 5 nights on the road.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #96
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If they can selvage 2 of 4 on the trip than I'd consider that a huge success. What I'm hoping for is a positive outcome in Saskatoon to try and get some confidence against them before playoffs
Old 03-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #97
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jake Elmer continues his ridiculous scoring streak. Longest in CHL. 12 straight games with a goal. 16 of them in total during that stretch.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #98
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
If they can selvage 2 of 4 on the trip than I'd consider that a huge success. What I'm hoping for is a positive outcome in Saskatoon to try and get some confidence against them before playoffs
Lost the 1st one to the Blades, then best PA, Moose Jaw and Regina.

Huge 3-1 road trip.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #99
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Come on Hitmen. Win 3 against the stupid Oil Kings here and leave the door open for Lethbridge. Then you can take out the OK in the first round. What a great story that could be

Last edited by brocoli; 03-04-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: autocorrect
Old 03-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #100
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just happy that it looks very likely the Canes will avoid Edmonton in round 1. They've struggled against the OK's this year big time.

They are also not going to end up as a WC, so they won't see PA or Saskatoon either, until round 3 if they should make it that far.

Looks like it'll be the Hitmen in round 1, or one of Med Hat, Red Deer or Brandon if they can sneak in and win the division.