Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #701
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ian has responded to my feedback. It is either a canned letter, or something that is personalized, but reads like a canned letter. Did not address any of my supporter related questions at all.

Well, I tried...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 05:53 PM   #702
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Ian has responded to my feedback. It is either a canned letter, or something that is personalized, but reads like a canned letter. Did not address any of my supporter related questions at all.

Well, I tried...
That's really disappointing to hear.

Did it at least address any concerns or was it more of a "we know this market better than anyone else and we know how to put on events better than anyone else, so settle down, and buy some tickets" type letter?
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #703
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically said that they have ticket options starting under $15 and options in the $20-80 range to suit various game day experiences, and that their market research is what drove the prices.

If I hear anything from the club I will let folks know. Guessing that's all I'm going to get out of them unless Tommy reaches out to me after he gets back from scouting in the UK.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #704
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got the exact same letter in my email today. Definitely a canned response sent to everyone who answered the survey in their last email blast.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #705
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't say that I am left with a lot of confidence after listening to that podcast. Mr. Allison comes across as rather stubborn and arrogant at times, but also very sure that they've absolutely nailed this rollout. Very dismissive of any suggestion that their pricing model has missed the mark, and counters it only with how awesome the venue will be, how they've done their research of their market, how they've got bills to pay, etc. etc.

It sounds like they are in full-on cost recovery mode already, and they are prepared to sacrifice developing their own supporters base because, somehow, there is a bunch of money in this town, Calgary is a different sports market, people are going to be running through the turnstiles with wads of cash falling from their pockets, (jargon), (more jargon), etc.

The relationship between club and supporters in soccer is a neat thing, and developing it is key. The MLS has even figured that out. So far, it seems that that relationship is going to be purely transactional - give us the money and we'll let you come and watch.

TLDR; I still think that they've mis-read this and I think that they've overlooked the key to the long-term success of this thing - grassroots support. It will be interesting to see how many of those 1k+ members convert into season tickets, particularly at the higher price points. If social media is any indication, a lot less than their "research" told them. Meeting with supporters groups about the stadium, the tickets, etc. would have been a great gesture.

Don't get me wrong - I'll be checking this out. And I'm not even going to lie and say that season tickets were a sure thing for me. I was thinking that a split with someone would be more realistic based on my location/schedule/life. But I am not feeling very confident about the long-term success as the club based on some of their early yet important decisions that they've fumbled already.

But as I have always said - I'd love to be proven wrong.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #706
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The league's first round of signings will be announced tomorrow at 10 am. Cavalry's signings are obviously Ledgerwood and Carducci.

Guessing on these, Pacific's signing looks like Kadin Chung, Forge's might be Kyle Bekker and Chris Nanco, and Edmonton's signings look like Randy Edwini-Bonsu and Allan Zebie.

https://twitter.com/CPLsoccer/status...40705115168769

Last edited by shermanator; 11-28-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #707
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Letters from Cavalry's first signings. After reading this, it's not Carducci. Sergio Camargo maybe?

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/video/pla...first-signings

Last edited by shermanator; 11-28-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #708
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is the purpose of Cavalry/CPL hyping these mysterious signings for? It's not like any household names are coming over, not even stars on their last legs....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #709
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the purpose of any sports club hyping signings, or any business hyping a product?

Old 11-28-2018, 01:12 PM   #710
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

lazypucker - have you never watched WWE? They can make stars out of talentless hacks just by promoting them with the right spotlight. Hyping names helps build prestige and interest. Classic sports marketing 101.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #711
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
What is the purpose of Cavalry/CPL hyping these mysterious signings for? It's not like any household names are coming over, not even stars on their last legs....
They absolutely have to market these guys like they are Xavi, Pirlo, Gerrard and Zidane. As others have said, you need to create buzz, and good chance these may be amongst the best players in the league. Bit disheartening if true though. Ledgerwood is easily the most accomplished of the rumoured bunch, but even then, the pride of Energie Cottbus isn't going to be a huge draw when Calgarians had the opportunity to watch him last year for under $20.

Frankly, this is why CPL needs a designated player rule. Even J-League has Iniesta, Podolski and Fernando Torres, and Drogba played for Phoenix Rising FC in the USL until he recently retired.

Those players or other former stars of a little less stature, while no longer effective at the top levels, would still be stars in CPL, and for a sub $500k salary, players of that type can probably be lured to CPL. They'd boost the profile of the league and get casuals interested. Even if some teams chose not to, the profile of a few of these guys along young stars is a much easier sell.

If you're pricing for the public, you need to have some appeal to the mainstream too.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #712
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like there's a members only event at Bottlescrew Bills on Monday night.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #713
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like there's a members only event at Bottlescrew Bills on Monday night.
I was playing around with the invite and it looks like you can bring one guest.

I have a function later in the evening, but I might try to go around 4:30 for a bit to see what information is available. If the big-wigs are taking questions, might be a good forum to do so, rather than a call with account reps.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #714
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the hoodies

Last edited by RM14; 11-28-2018 at 08:11 PM.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #715
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

First signings have been announced. Cavalry's first signings are Nik Ledgerwood and Sergio Camargo.

Sorry, a washed up Zlatan will not be lighting up the league...

https://canpl.ca/article/player-trac...layer-signings

Old 11-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #716
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First signings have been announced. Cavalry's first signings are Nik Ledgerwood and Sergio Camargo.

Sorry, a washed up Zlatan will not be lighting up the league...

https://canpl.ca/article/player-trac...layer-signings
Having taken some time to read some reviews and do some research on these players, it looks like a lot of them are MLS/USL "tweeners" that need the opportunity for the chance to make it big. For that, I think the term "foundational player" is fair. I think these are the types that CanPL should be looking at as the desired average player level going forward. Bekker and Ledgerwood are definitely the best now, but Camargo and Chung could be the best of the group within a couple of years based on their resumes.

I guess I was hoping some of the initial players might be active Canadian NT players or recent call-ups like David Edgar, Dejan Jakovic, Tesho Akindele, Manjrekar James, or Tosaint Ricketts. I suppose some of these players (or others) of that level could still be coming, as well as some good international players who might have NT level experience to up the talent level.

Don't get me wrong, I expect at least half of all the rosters to be PDL/U-Sports level guys, but I'm hoping there's enough MLS/USL tweeners and players who have played at the top levels internationally to really push the talent level and up the general entertainment level of the league. Even though Cavs are MLS priced, I'd be hopelessly naïve to expect that level of play in year 1, or 3, or even year 5.

But hey, who wouldn't love to see a couple former EPL/Serie A/La Liga/Bundesliga types on a few of these teams? I suppose those players could be yet to come too. Naturally, we can't expect a Zlatan level (it took MLS how long to attract Beckham, let alone Rooney, Villa, Zlatan, etc.)

I think its a missed opportunity if there aren't at least a couple guys on a couple squads like that (even guys who were in and out of starting 11s of mid or bottom table teams in one of the big leagues).
Old 11-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #717
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I fully expect the CPL to operate as a "second chance" league for players to get back into MLS or a European equivalent, or serve as a stepping stone before doing MLS full time.

Ergo, I don't think CPL players are going to be spending long careers there; it will be a feeder league IMO.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #718
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I fully expect the CPL to operate as a "second chance" league for players to get back into MLS or a European equivalent, or serve as a stepping stone before doing MLS full time.

Ergo, I don't think CPL players are going to be spending long careers there; it will be a feeder league IMO.
In the first 3-5 years, I expect you'll be right and they'll essentially be a farm league to MLS. After that, I'd hope if they gain some traction that they'll start to be able to hold onto their best players, and be able to compete with the bottom third of MLS.

Even MLS is a feeder league to Europe and that isn't changing any time soon.

Interestingly, I read some rumours that York9 might be signing a relatively known name (from the 2006 Italy World Cup championship team). I think as long as the league isn't littered with these types to the point where quality young players are losing their chances, its a really good thing.

Last edited by Thunderball; 11-30-2018 at 09:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #719
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Absolutely it is a good thing - for marketing, for attracting players, for improving the quality of the product on-field.

One thing I remember hearing from my club is that O35 teams across the country do have former competitive players of various skill levels from Europe and South America. Canada is a place footballers will raise a young family in after their playing career is over for stability and opportunity. Having these former players around in coaching and player development roles are advantageous for Canadian amateur clubs. The CPL should serve as a league that enables older players to extend their career and provide valuable mentorship.

Additionally, I wonder if the player you mentioned is associated (or at least connected) with Juventus Camp Canada, which has soccer camps in CPL-related cities.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #720
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Absolutely it is a good thing - for marketing, for attracting players, for improving the quality of the product on-field.

One thing I remember hearing from my club is that O35 teams across the country do have former competitive players of various skill levels from Europe and South America. Canada is a place footballers will raise a young family in after their playing career is over for stability and opportunity. Having these former players around in coaching and player development roles are advantageous for Canadian amateur clubs. The CPL should serve as a league that enables older players to extend their career and provide valuable mentorship.

Additionally, I wonder if the player you mentioned is associated (or at least connected) with Juventus Camp Canada, which has soccer camps in CPL-related cities.
If the rumours are true, this player still actively plays in a smaller league in Europe, and I don't believe is (or ever was) connected to Juve.