Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #1441
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I feel like there has to be Nintendo Direct coming soon.

Lots of Switch announcements dripping out and some hints that more news is to come.
There should definitely be a direct coming. If nothing else, to help pimp the Pokemon game.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:02 AM   #1442
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

I've never played a Langrisser game, but it's anything like its successors that I have played - Growlanser IV and Devil Survivor - then this is gonna be amazing.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #1443
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprise drop. Into the Breach available now.

Get it now. Now. How about now? Now.

EDIT: From the guys that made FTL

Last edited by chemgear; 08-28-2018 at 06:21 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:22 AM   #1444
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nintendo is hilariously clueless some times.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1035240754145198080
Old 08-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #1445
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

So it's gonna take two years to get to the games people actually want? Is online multiplayer for NES games really the killer app people wanted on their switch?

I'm not buying old NES games on a new console for the 4th time. My Wii and 3DS work just fine.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:12 AM   #1446
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Nintendo is totally clueless on the demand for retro games right now.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:30 AM   #1447
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Its $24 for the year I think they are doing it right.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #1448
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah $24 for the year.

Slow drip makes sense because it creates a need for people to stick around - and I don't think you can undervalue just how exciting the thought of adding online play for old NES and SNES games is for some people.

Playing in a Blades of Steel tournament online for example could actually be quite a killer app.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #1449
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
So it's gonna take two years to get to the games people actually want? Is online multiplayer for NES games really the killer app people wanted on their switch?

I'm not buying old NES games on a new console for the 4th time. My Wii and 3DS work just fine.
Online multiplayer for NES games is really just a throw-in that NOA is hyping up for no good reason. Thus, my comment on promoting Balloon Fight, of all things.

The value the online is going to provide is continued access to multiplayer games like MK8, Splatoon, Smash. And cloud saves/backups.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #1450
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah Nintendo is totally clueless on the demand for retro games right now.
Only took them two years to figure that one out...lest we forget the debacle that was the launch of the NES Classic. It took them years to release some of the huge SNES and N64 releases on the Wii Virtual Console, and the Wii U didn't see Wii games available for digital purchase until the end of it's lifespan. See the commonality here?

Quote:
Yeah $24 for the year.

Slow drip makes sense because it creates a need for people to stick around - and I don't think you can undervalue just how exciting the thought of adding online play for old NES and SNES games is for some people.

Playing in a Blades of Steel tournament online for example could actually be quite a killer app.
They've done this slow drip of virtual console games no one really cares about leading up to the heavy hitting releases a few times now with the Wii, 3DS and Wii U. I have absolutely no faith that they've learned anything from those. If anything, it should be a launching point to start with that catalogue and expand much quicker than previous attempts. It feels like they start from scratch each time.

I suppose I should be clear - the online multiplayer feature is not in my wheelhouse, at all. Local multiplayer is and always will be my preferred method of play. The virtual console is the only reason I would subscribe, and it's sorely lacking right now.

The 3DS virtual console tried the 3D Classics gimmick but gave up on it eventually. I'm honestly hoping the same happens here, and they get back to just releasing large amounts of classic games people want to play on the go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #1451
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Balloon fight is what they used in that specific tweet but I didn't think the first 10 NES games they shared were that bad.

Soccer
Tennis
Donkey Kong™
Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros.™
Balloon Fight™
Ice Climber™
Dr. Mario™
The Legend of Zelda™
Super Mario Bros.™ 3

Some decent games there...and I'm sure they will save a couple of bigger titles for a surprise when it actually launches too.

For Virtual Console in general the rumor is the biggest problem with them just launching Virtual Console fully with all NES, SNES, N64, & Gamecube games right away is that 3rd parties and indie developers were reportedly not huge fans of it.

One of the things I've seen floated around as a rumor is that during Switch development a big piece of feedback they got from their development partners was that they didn't like investing in developing for Nintendo consoles when they had to battle with years worth of back catalogs at a cheap price, especially for the indie developers.

With Nintendo's focus on indie titles and their new "Nindies" branding since the launch of Switch I would not at all be surprised if that rumor was true, Nintendo listened to the feedback, and led to the improved partnership with Indie developers. At least for now - once Switch sales and the general positive view around the device slows down though then I think they play the big Virtual Console card.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-31-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:24 AM   #1452
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
One of the things I've seen floated around as a rumor is that during Switch development a big piece of feedback they got from their development partners was that they didn't like investing in developing for Nintendo consoles when they had to battle with years worth of back catalogs at a cheap price, especially for the indie developers.

With Nintendo's focus on indie titles and their new "Nindies" branding since the launch of Switch I would not at all be surprised if that rumor was true, Nintendo listened to the feedback, and led to the improved partnership with Indie developers. At least for now - once Switch sales and the general positive view around the device slows down though then I think they play the big Virtual Console card.
Nindies has been around since the Wii U and 3DS. The Switch eShop also doesn't highlight games as well as the old eShop stores for the Wii U and 3DS did. Frankly, I find it difficult to find things now.

I don't doubt that indie developers might have trouble going against the back catalogues, but that would be the case for PSN and XBL as well. They're all releasing tons of old games at low prices.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #1453
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that there's still no voice chat or party system on a console in 2018 is baffling to me.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:22 PM   #1454
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The fact that there's still no voice chat or party system on a console in 2018 is baffling to me.
Yeah the whole app on your phone for voice chat is the real most screwed up thing - although other games have seemed figure out a away around that at least
Old 09-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #1455
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

'The Messenger' is awesome. Great action platformer, really funny characters and story, awesome soundtrack. Highly recommend it to any Switch players!
Old 09-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #1456
Isikiz
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looks like the next Nintendo Direct will be tomorrow at 4pm Calgary time.
https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/09-06-2018/
Old 09-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #1457
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The two best things about Nintendo directs are all the fake "leaks", and the constant crying about Animal Crossing not being announced.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #1458
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I hate Animal Crossing. I hope it never gets the heavy focus that Zelda / Mario / Smash have gotten. Nintendo has seemed to zero in on one title for heavy promotion every year.

Excited to see what they announce though, pretty vague right now past Smash. My wife wants an update on Yoshi!
Old 09-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #1459
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

My one prediction for tomorrow.

A new/remade 2D Mario game will be released on October 26th.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:09 AM   #1460
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

A port of New Super Mario Bros U has been rumoured recently. I wouldn't expect a new game though.

Also, the direct has been postponed indefinitely due to the earthquake that struck Japan.