Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #81
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The Xbone and the PS4 are about as "next gen" as my laptop from 4 years ago. Give me my oculus rift already.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NuclearPizzaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #82
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can most of what the xbone offers just be a software upgrade for PS4 making xbones aggressive shift even more ridiculous?
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #83
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
How the hell do you use your console without internet?
Single player/local games and as a DVD player? We've taken the PS3 out to the cabin when we know the weather is gonna be crap or a lot of people are out there, just in case (since the colecovision finally died). Not a lot of connectivity out there.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #84
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearPizzaMan View Post
The Xbone and the PS4 are about as "next gen" as my laptop from 4 years ago. Give me my oculus rift already.
Hey man, those sweet graffixxx are like, GTX 560Ti level.

Oh god, I just realized how amazing an Oculus Rift is going to be with 2x680s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #85
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
“Microsoft has single handedly alienated the entire military. And not just the U.S. military — the militaries of the entire world,” says naval aviator Jay Johnson.

The Internet connection requirement is “the single greatest sin Microsoft has committed against all service members,” he writes in a post on the game developers’ site Gamasutra.

With tours aboard three Nimitz aircraft carriers, Johnson says he’s spent more than half of the past three years deployed or training at sea. He describes gaming in general and his Xbox in particular as “my sanctuary. It is where I went to calm down after a long day of flying.”

But that won’t true with the Xbox One, he says.

“No longer will the sounds of Master Chief saving the human race echo through the hallowed halls of the USS Abraham Lincoln, or any other USS ship, when we have a few hours respite. No longer will you see Marcus and Dom sawing through the Locust Horde at the bases in Afghanistan after the Marines have returned from patrol and want to escape their reality for a bit. Those days are now firmly behind us.”
http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...rvice-members-
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #86
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never had a great experience with Xbox-any generation.

Always had a great experience with PS2-PS3 and soon I will have a great experience with PS4. Don't need that entire media hub aspect out of my console. Just gaming and the odd netflix is all I need.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #87
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearPizzaMan View Post
PC Gaming is for people without real friends to play with anyways
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #88
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
PC Gaming is for people without real friends to play with anyways
Yeah I remember 1997 too.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #89
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Yeah I remember 1997 too.
Damn man. Fallout, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter and . . . Final Fantasy Tactics! Glorious!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #90
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Damn man. Fallout, X-Wing vs TIE Fighter and . . . Final Fantasy Tactics! Glorious!
Hell, in '97 I was dialing up CADVision to play QuakeWorld with all my school buddies every day.

Maybe what polak meant was PC gaming wasn't for poor people?

I dunno, I play PC games nearly every day with my wife, and every few days with our friends (whom we see IRL quite often). To boot, I host a LAN every couple months, and friends who come over to hang can play on any of the 5 usable PCs I have.

So yeah, not for poor people.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #91
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Hell, in '97 I was dialing up CADVision to play QuakeWorld with all my school buddies every day.

Maybe what polak meant was PC gaming wasn't for poor people?

I dunno, I play PC games nearly every day with my wife, and every few days with our friends (whom we see IRL quite often). To boot, I host a LAN every couple months, and friends who come over to hang can play on any of the 5 usable PCs I have.

So yeah, not for poor people.
I would be the uncoolest guy at these types of parties. "Hey, you guys remember Counterstrike?"
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #92
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Haha it was a light hearted joke. I thought the made that pretty obvious.

PC gaming is for the more hardcore, err, sorry, dedicated, though.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #93
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I would be the uncoolest guy at these types of parties. "Hey, you guys remember Counterstrike?"
No way dude. We played 1.6 for like 4 hours last month. It was sweet.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #94
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

MS's reasonable alternative
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #95
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should sell an XBone with 3G/LTE built in.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #96
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
How the hell do you use your console without internet? I spend all my time on Xbox watching Netflix, videos, or Xbox Live online play.

Your buddy needs to get out of his mom's basement.
Actually, I haven't used my PS3 to connect to the internet in the past 6 months. I think I still have to update the latest firmware or whatever, because I haven't signed on with my PSN in a long time. It would have to be before Christmas since the last time I signed on I think. I play JRPG's, so I have no need to connect onto the internet.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #97
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of the criticism is just flat out whining now. So you have an ancient cell phone without data...you have no internet where you live. The least of your concerns should be upgrading your game console. You haven't even stepped into 2005 let alone the next gen. If you want modern technology you need modern infrastructure, bottom line. Even for the PS4 I would think a huge part of getting the most out of the console would be online features. Heck its a huge part of it in the current gen consoles. Ipads, phones, tv's...everything has online components.

Even at work I need to basically be "always online".

Should microsoft stagnate its own evolution based on a tiny minority of people are never online?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #98
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the end of the day, consumers are free to vent, and if they are really miffed, they will just vote with their dollars and not support the Xbox One. It'll be interesting how much this actually affects Xbox sales in the US as that is pretty much the only place MS outsells Sony.

People point to Apple and how successful they are with DRM and tightly controlled software, and I agree, they have been hugely successful in the past. But that is partially because they were so ahead of everyone else in the game. It is only now that Android is surpassing iOS in popularity, and I would argue part of the reason is because of less controls and restrictions.

The Xbox One and the PS4 are pretty comparable IMO, and what one can do, the other can pretty much do as well. Sure Kinect is a bit more advanced, but that's about it. If given the choice between tightly controlled vs. more freedoms, and the products are similar, my bet is always on the console with more freedoms.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #99
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I genuinely feel bad for them, because they really have no other recourse where having an internet connection is concerned. I am kind of surprised this scenario in particular wasn't considered when making this decision, and the response of "Just use the 360" isn't acceptable. My own personal speculation is that there will be some changes to the always-on policies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
All your points are immediately nullified when said buddy has his gaming center in the basement with no internet access. I don't think Microsoft realizes just how many people have similar setups, where getting a wired internet connection or stable wifi in certain areas of a home is too cost prohibitive
But I don't feel bad for this whining. Your friend is on dry land and lives in a house that presumably has the internet *somewhere*, and every ISP gives you a combination wireless router/modem assuming you don't ask for a stand-alone unit like I did. Prohibitively expensive? A wireless extender is a $75. Tell him to get out of 2005 already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
If given the choice between tightly controlled vs. more freedoms, and the products are similar, my bet is always on the console with more freedoms.
That's the thing; developers are on-board with it, and it's ultimately the third-party support that will influence which console people choose.

This whole time we've been discussing Sony versus Microsoft... why aren't we mentioning Nintendo's offering? Because no one cares. Nintendo develops pretty strong first-party IP, but third-party support is lacklustre at best.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #100
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Some of the criticism is just flat out whining now. So you have an ancient cell phone without data...you have no internet where you live. The least of your concerns should be upgrading your game console. You haven't even stepped into 2005 let alone the next gen. If you want modern technology you need modern infrastructure, bottom line. Even for the PS4 I would think a huge part of getting the most out of the console would be online features. Heck its a huge part of it in the current gen consoles. Ipads, phones, tv's...everything has online components.

Even at work I need to basically be "always online".

Should microsoft stagnate its own evolution based on a tiny minority of people are never online?
I'm trying to figure out what kind of tone this has.....pretentious, maybe?

Should they stagnate? No, but it might help their position if they took their customers into account when they create their products and services. Right now they are catering to the publishers, smacking us customers in the face.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote