Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #3781
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Cosby View Post
Sure, us "PS fanboys" that say PS fanboy things like "I wish Sunset Overdrive was a system seller so it'd push me over the edge to buy an XB1" and "I don't like the way The Kinect looks with my setup."

Such fanboy, very attack, wow.

Nothing more typical of Playstation fanboys to be people that own and want to own an Xbox, AMIRITE?
Again who's bashing Sony? Nobody. Just a few fanboys bashing Microsoft. Carry on kids.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #3782
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Again who's bashing Sony? Nobody. Just a few fanboys bashing Microsoft. Carry on kids.

If an Xbox owner saying the Kinect doesn't look good with his setup is a "fanboy" "bashing Microsoft" then maybe a Thunderdome isn't a good place for you, kid.

Carry on, fanboy.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chill Cosby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #3783
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If an Xbox owner saying the Kinect doesn't look good with his setup is a "fanboy" "bashing Microsoft" then maybe a Thunderdome isn't a good place for you, kid.

Carry on, fanboy.
Son, I'm no boy.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-03-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #3784
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Been playing Sunset Overdrive.

Fun game, nothing game changing or anything but just a really enjoyable experience.

Also it was the first time I had turned on the Xbox in a while. The recent firmware upgrades have really improved the UI.

Have to say that the interface is ahead of the PS4 in terms of functionality right now, although I haven't really given PS4 software 2.0 any time yet.
Apparently 2.0 added a function that puts it into sleep mode....Only problem is that your ps4 doesn't wake up

https://bgr.com/2014/11/03/ps4-2-0-update-issues/
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #3785
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Support a console Fan boy
Don't support a console Fan boy
Agree with an article Fan boy/you work for company

WAKE UP PEOPLE you shouldn't have this much invested in a piece of plastic
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Violator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #3786
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Support a console Fan boy
Don't support a console Fan boy
Agree with an article Fan boy/you work for company

WAKE UP PEOPLE you shouldn't have this much invested in a piece of plastic

Feigned indifference that's clearly indicative of a bleeding heart fanboy!
Old 11-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #3787
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pfffft, pointing out someone's feigned indifference is such a fanboy move.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #3788
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Carry on, fanboy.
Quote:
Son, I'm no boy.
Yeah, you hear that, sport? He's a man! A man arguing passionately about video games, dammit! You wanna settle this in person, kiddo?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #3789
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol should have known...honestly its not for me, if anyone wants one $50

main thing it looks embarrassingly ugly with my home theater setup
Don't give me so much credit (and maybe don't think so highly of yourself that I am summoned every time you post about the Kinect); I check the thread regularly, if there's something to post a reply to, I do it. Your post was the most recent.

You asked a question (although I'll be honest, your tone seemed pretty rhetorical and jerkoffish in nature, I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt - aren't I nice), and I answered it honestly.

If you're seriously going to tell me that your concerns are aesthetic in nature and not function, then my response is as follows:
1. Are you unable to route a CABLE in such a way that it cannot offend your tastes for interior decor?
2. Why did you bother to ask about the functionality if you weren't going to bother acting on the responses?
3. Why do you even have a video game console in your living room? I'm pretty sure your interior decorator would turn his or her nose up at it rather quickly. I'm sure consoles are bad for ... feng shui, or some nonsense.

I would have told you to "just sit it on top of your television" using a bracket you can buy at BB/FS or Wal-mart like I did, but as you've already sold it, hooray! - now we don't have to listen to you complain about it since you have your precious drawer space back. Right?

Quote:
His irrational disdain is balanced by your irrational need to defend against anything that could be loosely interpreted as a slight.
Maybe you're right in some instances, but this isn't one of them. This really is just a live performance of "The Art of Trolling" by dino7c.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 11-04-2014 at 06:14 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #3790
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

This thread belongs below a Youtube video.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #3791
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Kinect placement, it reminds me of an IR blaster and that is how it gets placed. funnily enough, it functions the same way.

My fave Kinect feature is the ability to speak to the Xbox and control the TV; playing a game, snapping TV and changing a channel without moving? what's not to like?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #3792
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Don't give me so much credit (and maybe don't think so highly of yourself that I am summoned every time you post about the Kinect); I check the thread regularly, if there's something to post a reply to, I do it. Your post was the most recent.

You asked a question (although I'll be honest, your tone seemed pretty rhetorical and jerkoffish in nature, I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt - aren't I nice), and I answered it honestly.

If you're seriously going to tell me that your concerns are aesthetic in nature and not function, then my response is as follows:
1. Are you unable to route a CABLE in such a way that it cannot offend your tastes for interior decor?
2. Why did you bother to ask about the functionality if you weren't going to bother acting on the responses?
3. Why do you even have a video game console in your living room? I'm pretty sure your interior decorator would turn his or her nose up at it rather quickly. I'm sure consoles are bad for ... feng shui, or some nonsense.

I would have told you to "just sit it on top of your television" using a bracket you can buy at BB/FS or Wal-mart like I did, but as you've already sold it, hooray! - now we don't have to listen to you complain about it since you have your precious drawer space back. Right?

Maybe you're right in some instances, but this isn't one of them. This really is just a live performance of "The Art of Trolling" by dino7c.
I don't want to sidetrack this thread anymore but as the Dog says dino7c has been trolling and it would be nice if we could be adults here. Don't like the console fine but don't troll as there's video game sites where kids do that all day where you can get your toll fix. Microsoft/Sony, Apple/Android, Ford/Chevy, etc. This #### gets old. I like my PS4 just as much as my XB1 and why can't we just have relevant discussions and not crap like Kinect looking like garbage in a home theatre setup because it's huge compared to Sony's and has a big cable. That's garbage.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #3793
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't want to sidetrack this thread anymore but as the Dog says dino7c has been trolling and it would be nice if we could be adults here. Don't like the console fine but don't troll as there's video game sites where kids do that all day where you can get your toll fix. Microsoft/Sony, Apple/Android, Ford/Chevy, etc. This #### gets old. I like my PS4 just as much as my XB1 and why can't we just have relevant discussions and not crap like Kinect looking like garbage in a home theatre setup because it's huge compared to Sony's and has a big cable. That's garbage.
Ha, don't pretend to be all high and mighty when all you do is post fanboy insults in this thread. Besides, it's the THUNDERDOME, what exactly do you expect to see everytime you come in here? LOL
Old 11-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #3794
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So got a good trade in deal on my Vita (apparently they don't make games for it anymore) and picked up an Xbox One instead. Sunset Overdrive bundle -- but mostly bought it for Halo. Thoughts so far:

Not a big fan of the Windows 8 UI. Just was tricky to navigate and I really didn't like the store set-up.

It's big! And heavy. Same with the controller. Surprised they're still doing battery powered controllers too. Controller feels alright -- triggers feel a little strange after only playing Playstation for so long!

Is there a way to actually turn it off all the way short of unplugging it? I hold the button down on the controller and hit "turn console off" but I can still hear it humming slightly. When I turn it back on Sunset Overdrive is still in stand by mode.

My 14-day Xbox Live Gold trial that came in the box didn't work. The code worked and it said I got it but I didn't. Kind of annoying -- if the same thing happens with my year long Gold card I bought I'll be callin in!

Sunset Overdrive is a blast - colourful, fun, visually impressive. Doesn't break any new ground but its a great game.

Looking forward to Halo next week -- if anyone wants to play my Gamertag is the same as my PSN, touchfuzzy
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #3795
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Is there a way to actually turn it off all the way short of unplugging it? I hold the button down on the controller and hit "turn console off" but I can still hear it humming slightly. When I turn it back on Sunset Overdrive is still in stand by mode.
Not really. The system was architected to be able to run updates in the background while the console is "off", which is actually a nice feature. No more waiting for 30 minutes to run an update like the last gen. I've never actually noticed the humming sound though.

To exit out of a game, simply have it highlighted from the main menu and press the menu button (looks like 3 lines) on your controller. Then select quit. I find certain games (NHL 15 is the worst) get choppy and buggy if you leave them in the suspended mode for days on end.

Pro tip - buy the charging packs and stand for your controllers. Yeah, it sucks that it costs like $50, but it's well worth it. The stock controllers requiring AA batteries is silly.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #3796
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Ha, don't pretend to be all high and mighty when all you do is post fanboy insults in this thread. Besides, it's the THUNDERDOME, what exactly do you expect to see everytime you come in here? LOL
Thing is that I don't troll. I don't mind getting into debates but I don't have a vested personal interest in either console. I think most of us are smart enough to spot when someone is trolling and that's all I take offense to.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #3797
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So got a good trade in deal on my Vita (apparently they don't make games for it anymore) and picked up an Xbox One instead. Sunset Overdrive bundle -- but mostly bought it for Halo. Thoughts so far:

Not a big fan of the Windows 8 UI. Just was tricky to navigate and I really didn't like the store set-up.

It's big! And heavy. Same with the controller. Surprised they're still doing battery powered controllers too. Controller feels alright -- triggers feel a little strange after only playing Playstation for so long!

My 14-day Xbox Live Gold trial that came in the box didn't work. The code worked and it said I got it but I didn't. Kind of annoying -- if the same thing happens with my year long Gold card I bought I'll be callin in!

Sunset Overdrive is a blast - colourful, fun, visually impressive. Doesn't break any new ground but its a great game.

Looking forward to Halo next week -- if anyone wants to play my Gamertag is the same as my PSN, touchfuzzy
Agreed. In a year I still haven't warmed up to it and prefer the more simple PS4 UI. I just feel I'm always looking for stuff and the UI is always changing and moving things around on me. It's my main gripe so far with the unit.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #3798
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Thing is that I don't troll. I don't mind getting into debates but I don't have a vested personal interest in either console. I think most of us are smart enough to spot when someone is trolling and that's all I take offense to.

Erick Estrada: The guy who "tells it like it is" whenever sexism or racism is brought up, but is easily offended when someone says bad about Microsoft.

:P

I'd say if you see trolls, leave 'em be, because you also seem to randomly get on posters who aren't trolls and end up looking defensive.

Now, back to the topic.
Are there any top name exclusives announced for the Xbox aside from the Master Chief collection coming up?

And what are some of the offers that usually come up for Games for Gold? I've heard they've all been "meh" but no more "meh" than what the PS4 has been getting for free with plus.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #3799
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe something going on XBL? Could show up after their update/fix.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/11/0...id-code-issues

According to the Xbox support page, Xbox Live is suffering issues with prepaid cards or codes for downloadable items. Users who purchased the Advanced Warfare console bundle are having problems redeeming the enclosed game code. Microsoft is aware of the problem and will offer an update soon.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #3800
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As for switching off the XB1 completely, simply depress the touch button on the front of the console for 5ish seconds and it initiates a full non-standby shutdown (the two states can be differentiated by the colour of the power bar's light- orange for fully shut down, white for stand by). Hard resets are good for solving any of the random little glitches that can pop up every now and again, also.

One of the things I prefer about XB1 is the option to wire the controller. It acts as a normal wireless unit when unplugged but receives a wired signal when you're charging it. It sounds silly but I became pretty competitive in Titanfall and was able to notice the slight difference in latency between the wired and wireless signals, so it's nice to have the ability to plug in and achieve that direct connection. The TV I have was also the one on the market at the time being rated as having the lowest input lag for games, so I've sort of gone in the direction of minimizing the time between button presses and on-screen response as much as possible.