Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2019, 07:23 AM   #661
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same exact thing is happening to me as well. Started a few nights ago. During the day, my speeds are exactly what they should be. Around 6pm, crawls right down to the point where I couldn't stream netflix. Just buffers.

Just completed a speedtest and back to normal.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #662
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't Shaw well known for being slow during peak times? Years ago I was having the same issues with shaw so I switched to Telus.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #663
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any word on tv with Crave bundles with the new Shaw 300 service or Shaw 600 service?
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #664
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Isn't Shaw well known for being slow during peak times? Years ago I was having the same issues with shaw so I switched to Telus.
That was an issue with broadband many, many years ago, and Telus did (and probably still does) market on the idea that your neighbour watching Netflix will impact your speeds, although it hasn't really been an issue in recent years.

I have personally never had an issue with speeds at peak times, and I have had Shaw in my home since 2002. There are likely many factors to it, so hopefully people being persistent can help them identify and fix the problem.

Tonight should be interesting for those with the issues because it is a Friday and damn cold outside, so people will be streaming a lot of stuff.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #665
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had this problem in West Hillhurst. Sounds like it's all over the city....
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #666
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll update tomorrow when the Shaw tech comes and I recap all of this for the umpteenth time. I'll definitely point out that there are others with similar issues

EDIT: at home and its already started acting up haha

Last edited by Aleks; 02-01-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #667
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Something has definitely happened to my Shaw 150 connection as well in the past few weeks.

modem/router: Hitron
connection: wired directly
equipment and OS: hasn't changed

I've had Shaw 100/150 for over a year with zero issues, using it 8-10 hours a day. All speed tests regularly showed 130-150+.

These past few weeks I've been unable to stream video without constant buffering.

Results from various speed tests (after a fresh reboot of the Hitron & server) now always show results similar to this:

Google: 0.56 / 11

fast.com: 15

speedtest.shaw.ca: 50.3 / 16.2

-

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 02-01-2019 at 08:54 PM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #668
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same results as the previous two nights. 5.7 down, 2.3 up. I talked to Shaw today and they are going to send a tech out on Tuesday. I'm not sure what the Tech will accomplish as this is happening to quite a number of people. Never had an issue with Shaw. Been a customer for about 10 years now.
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #669
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am on Lightspeed and getting about 25 dl on 75 connection.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #670
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Low speeds again. Brutal.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #671
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Having the exact same issue in Airdrie. Lots of other people here too. So frustrating right now. Streaming rugby on Vader streams right now flawlessly but I know after 6 I shouldn't even try! Pity Telus can only offer me 50mb speeds right now.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #672
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffobohs View Post
Having the exact same issue in Airdrie. Lots of other people here too. So frustrating right now. Streaming rugby on Vader streams right now flawlessly but I know after 6 I shouldn't even try! Pity Telus can only offer me 50mb speeds right now.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

And I always have to preface my conversations with when I'm streaming IPTV which always goes poorly as they're a cable provider. I told them though that I had free range when I had cable and got sick of the regional restrictions when watching while travelling, which is 100% the truth. That and I can watch eredivisie soccer from my homeland, instead of just premier.

I'm buffering right now on beast TV NHL, Buffering right now on Vaders NHL, buffering right now on Eternal NHL. Last night watched half the flames game before buffering became an issue. Switched to reddit streams and couldn't keep up HD on my laptop, down to 1450Kbps mostly, anything higher would buffer.

I noticed that I couldn't even download a guide this morning so I speed tested, every single device, wired or unwired, through router or direct to modem wouldn't get over 20Mbps. That included to speedtest.shaw.ca direct through modem. I rebooted it and got my speedtest speeds back, but still buffering and failing channels on everything. I shouldn't need to reboot the modem frequently either. I don't know how people who couldn't even identify a modem do it. I'd think we would be in the age of trouble free internet access.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #673
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Looks like Shaw at least recognizes the problem. Hopefully the planned maintenance next week is to resolve it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...ginconsistent/
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #674
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Looks like Shaw at least recognizes the problem. Hopefully the planned maintenance next week is to resolve it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...ginconsistent/

Yup, I can now confirm that there is definitely an issue affecting multiple nodes and slow downs and packet loss at peak times that is actively being worked on. No ETA, but it was nice to be vindicated after a ton of aggravation. Hopefully its resolved soon.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #675
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just wanted to chime in and say I too have the exact same problem. Never had issues before, but shortly after the speed doubling I am now seeing horrific dial up speeds at night--only on certain hosts. Youtube and Netflix can stream at 4K still. But sites like Twitch, Imgur, Flickr just crawl.

Of course Shaw/Ookla speedtest seems to be just fine. But literally every single other speed test is showing as low as 2mbps on my 600mbps connection between around 5pm and midnight. Shaw tells me ALL off the speedtests are inaccurate. It's become so easy for ISPs to just blame hardware. Getting nowhere with support.

Anyone at least get Shaw to acknowledge the problem?
chid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #676
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
Anyone at least get Shaw to acknowledge the problem?

If you read back I've been aggressively pursuing this for the last couple of weeks, and in my last post I said I was just told there is a large problem affecting a number of regions in the city with slow speeds at peak times. They are trying to fix it, and I'll follow up with the specific details I've been provided if its not in a few days.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #677
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
If you read back I've been aggressively pursuing this for the last couple of weeks, and in my last post I said I was just told there is a large problem affecting a number of regions in the city with slow speeds at peak times. They are trying to fix it, and I'll follow up with the specific details I've been provided if its not in a few days.
Thanks. On three separate occasions they have told me there is no work happening, and the problem "can't possibly" be node related. So it's good to know there's a solution on the horizon. Up until now I've been quite happy with Shaw.
chid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #678
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speedtest.Shaw.ca claims I'm hitting 621 Mbps down, Speedtest.net said 638 Mbps down, and FAST.com said I hit 720 Mbps.

So I guess I'm not in an affected area.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #679
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you guys can get out of your contract (citing these problems) with Shaw and have Telus fiber in the area...do it. Techs came out today on what turned into a nightmare install but I'm now rolling 333 down / 331 up with 0 ms ping times.

Why have I waited so long to ditch Shaw?
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:33 PM   #680
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw has been acting wonky on my end as well recently again. It's a bit frustrating, so I am just looking to see where I am at for my plan. I looked into my plan. I have a promotion which expires May 2019 and a price guarantee which expires May 2020. I am pretty sure I can move on without incurring penalties. I currently pay $82 for internet 300.

Telus fibre only has a promotion for 750/750 for 24 months at $105 per month if I lock in. It seems like major overkill...
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote