Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Distracted Driving - circumstantial question

Anyone happen to know, if you are using your cellphone (google maps) for nav and have it stuck to your air ventilation or centre console, would that constitute as distracted driving?
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Using a hand held cell phone is illegal, but you can use a GPS.

Quote:
Can I use my GPS while driving?

Yes, as long as you have programmed it before driving or operating the vehicle or it is being used in a voice activated manner. It must also be securely affixed to the vehicle in a manner that does not interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle and not held in the individual’s hand.
https://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Tra...d-driving.aspx
Old 08-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post

Interesting, I'm wanting to put my Samsung ontop of the GPS my car has already (but sucks). My included Nav avoids any routes that would make sense to take Deerfoot (wtf?) and is overall not as efficient as google maps is.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, what your talking about is really no different then an in console screen. Its the people that have a cellphone in hand staring at it or not using handsfree that's going to get you ticketed.

or fiddling with your phone, console and driving erratically.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #5
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

This is what I had in mind:

Old 08-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
This is what I had in mind:

I've been using something similar for a few years and haven't been busted for distracted driving.
I try to avoid interacting with it while moving; I can't see it being a problem as long as you're not fiddling with it excessively.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, what your talking about is really no different then an in console screen. Its the people that have a cellphone in hand staring at it or not using handsfree that's going to get you ticketed.

or fiddling with your phone, console and driving erratically.
As long as you're not holding your phone against your ear, it's hands-free right? I mean, as long as you hold it out in front of you instead of at your ear, you're good.
Mass_nerder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I've been using something similar for a few years and haven't been busted for distracted driving.
I try to avoid interacting with it while moving; I can't see it being a problem as long as you're not fiddling with it excessively.
I agree with the principle, both hands on the wheel, staying focused, etc, but ability to see and hear Google Maps when necessary. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #9
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I think it's the safest answer. I always keep one of those vent mounts in my carry on bag. I attach to the rental car vent and away I go. Google maps are great. I've had too many problems with rental car nav systems in strange cities.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
Anyone happen to know, if you are using your cellphone (google maps) for nav and have it stuck to your air ventilation or centre console, would that constitute as distracted driving?
I know its not the point of your post, but I found the best spot to stick the phone is in the little space in front of the gauges, as most cars have a little ledge that you can lean the phone on. It's much closer to your regular line of sight, which makes it easier and safer to use, and almost makes it feel like you have a nav screen in your gauge cluster.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with all this Google Maps usage for navigating in a car, Waze is where it's at.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #12
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
What's with all this Google Maps usage for navigating in a car, Waze is where it's at.
I'd have to use it again to remember why, but I used Waze for about 4 months and found it kind of annoying. I know that the time savings was pretty negligible compared to other nav apps, and there aren't enough features for it to be your go-to map app (you basically need Waze for your car, and then Google or Apple maps for everything else).

Either way, having used all three over the past 2 years, there are a few things that might make an individual choose one over the other, but I find the differences between them to be wildly overstated to the point that there's no point in switching from whatever you're using now, if you like it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
As long as you're not holding your phone against your ear, it's hands-free right? I mean, as long as you hold it out in front of you instead of at your ear, you're good.

LOL

I do all my stuff through Android Auto and use Waze and Spotify. Up until recently Spotify locked itself when the car was moving, so you couldn't change your libraries etc. But they removed that lock recently.

I'm still trying to figure out some of the voice commands though.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Google bought Waze a while back and I believe now Google maps has most/all of Waze features now included (ie public reporting and speed/red light cameras, etc).
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #15
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Google bought Waze a while back and I believe now Google maps has most/all of Waze features now included (ie public reporting and speed/red light cameras, etc).

Google maps saved me from a speed trap on stoney the other day, which was a nice surprise
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #16
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post

Holding it in your hand is what makes using the cell phone illegal. Using your cell phone while mounted to the car and either voice activated or one-touch operation is permitted:

https://www.alberta.ca/distracted-driving.aspx

Quote:
Activities that are not specifically restricted under the law are:

using a cell phone in hands-free mode – the device is not held in the driver’s hand and is activated by voice or a single touch to the device
As with many things that at first seem simple, the government specifically passed a regulation to define 'one touch' for the purposes of the legislation (so if you were thinking that each text you send is just a series of one touches you are wrong):

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/re...-113-2011.html

Quote:
One touch

2 For the purposes of the Act and this Regulation, “one touch” means pressing only one button one time on a cellular telephone or radio communication device or an attachment to the cellular telephone or radio communication device in order to initiate, accept or end a single telephone call, or to receive or transmit electronic data, electronic mail, a text message or a voice communication without holding the cellular telephone or radio communication device or an attachment to the cellular telephone or radio communication device in the individual’s hand.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #17
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
There is a difference between what is 'a problem' per the legislation and what might not get you pulled over.

The law specifically requires a GPS to be programmed before driving or that it be used in hands free mode.

Anything beyond 'one touch' while moving is prohibited and if you are seen or reported would allow you to be charged with the offence.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote