Old 02-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #61
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #62
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would assume that as oppressed individuals, Reid and Kaep will be donating this money to a worthwhile cause. yeah likely
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #63
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
I would assume that as oppressed individuals, Reid and Kaep will be donating this money to a worthwhile cause. yeah likely
Kaep doesn't love football. Never has. He turned down a chance to play with the Broncos because he wanted starter money and turned down the AAF asking for $20 million lol. It's always been about the money for him so I hope he's happy with this settlement.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #64
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rumor is he got $60-80M
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #65
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty funny that they drop the cause for money. If he really wanted to make a point you think like with the NHL players not taking settlements in the concussion judgement he’d of kept fighting out of principle Of admission on the leagues part. Guess we see what he’s really about. I’ve always been a firm believer the true reason Kap never got re-signed is because he wasn’t all star material anymore and after the media circus he created around himself a lot of teams likely felt the circus that would come along with him wasn’t good for the team. If he was still a star no doubt he’d of played. Look at Marshawn Lynch still getting signed after doing the same and worse. If you choose to be the martyr then you have to be prepared to fall on the sword.

Unfortunately his actions backfired on him. As the issues he was trying to be outspoken on really are worth the discussion he intended it to cause. Instead it became about him and he really wound up ostracizing the crowd he was trying to get hear him out.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #66
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kap was always about himself though moreso than the cause in my opinion. It was convenient for him to latch on to it to have PR in his favour. He started the controversy when he wasn't the starter anymore. Kap came out of this best for himself for the amount of money that he got from this.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #67
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Kap was always about himself though moreso than the cause in my opinion. It was convenient for him to latch on to it to have PR in his favour. He started the controversy when he wasn't the starter anymore. Kap came out of this best for himself for the amount of money that he got from this.
He’s probably made more money now from this settlement then he would of if he continued playing. Smart career move I guess?
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #68
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno. I think he must have had a pretty strong case if the NFL agreed to settle.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #69
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a multi billion dollar industry. 60 or 80 million is a drop in the bucket to get rid of the negative publicity that they get from the Kap stuff. I hardly take it as an admission on the leagues part.

and again considering all the heroics and accolades Kap got for it I find it very sell out of him to go from the “ he gave up millions in career earnings to take a stand” to now he’s taken hush money that likely over shadows what he ever would of earned. Athlete of the year my ass

Last edited by Patek23; 02-15-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:11 PM   #70
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is it hush money? He was suing for lost wages. He got them.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:22 PM   #71
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
How is it hush money? He was suing for lost wages. He got them.
There is a non disclosure act regarding the settlement. He’s basically having to get off his soap box to take the money. That’s hush money.

Edit- I was (am?) a huge Kap fan. I’m not American so could truly care less about his kneeling or any of that didn’t rub me wrong at all. But this definitely kind of put me off a bit. You don’t play the victim card and go on basically a campaign of how your going to be the guy to take a stand. Even publicly speaking to the media saying how there’s lots of people who don’t want to address the issue because they are afraid to lose their jobs or endorsements and he said and I quote “those are things I’m prepared to handle”. So now you want to really stick it to the man and talk about how you were oppressed by the NFL shouldn’t your goal be to have them have to publicly admit that they kept you out of the league? Ecspecially when he’s just received a Nike endorsement that should of set him for life? By settling for this money and not having to have the league take any accountability for it and basically get to say it’s a dead issue now is a big red flag of where Kap really stands on what he supposedly believes in.

Last edited by Patek23; 02-15-2019 at 11:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2019, 12:04 AM   #72
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Pretty funny that they drop the cause for money. If he really wanted to make a point you think like with the NHL players not taking settlements in the concussion judgement he’d of kept fighting out of principle
Except the NHL players did take a settlement.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...ment-1.4901856
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:09 AM   #73
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Except the NHL players did take a settlement.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...ment-1.4901856
Sorry I should of been more clear. Daniel Carcillo was the unofficial leader of the campaign on this. And has publicly out spoken on how him and others will not be taking the money as they want to hear the NHL admit they were wrong. I should of been more specific in my first post. The settlement is open for some to take and others don’t have to accept it and can continue their fight. I’m sure some will take the money but the more outspoken ones who have been leading the charge will not be accepting the pay out.

Edit- albeit much easier to walk away from 100k then it is to do so when it’s 60 million. But the point still stands. It’s a matter of principle and Kap also just got a 20 million dollar cheque from Nike as well. If your principles are taking a stand and not being afraid of the consequences what message does this now send?

“Seeking the truth, finding the truth, telling the truth and living the truth has been and will always be what guides my actions.” Colin Kaepernick

“There are a lot of people that don’t want to have this conversation. They are scared they might lose their jobs or they might not get endorsements and they might not be treated the same way. Those are things I’m prepared to handle.” – Colin Kaepernick

Last edited by Patek23; 02-16-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:55 AM   #74
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is a non disclosure act regarding the settlement. He’s basically having to get off his soap box to take the money. That’s hush money.

Edit- I was (am?) a huge Kap fan. I’m not American so could truly care less about his kneeling or any of that didn’t rub me wrong at all. But this definitely kind of put me off a bit. You don’t play the victim card and go on basically a campaign of how your going to be the guy to take a stand. Even publicly speaking to the media saying how there’s lots of people who don’t want to address the issue because they are afraid to lose their jobs or endorsements and he said and I quote “those are things I’m prepared to handle”. So now you want to really stick it to the man and talk about how you were oppressed by the NFL shouldn’t your goal be to have them have to publicly admit that they kept you out of the league? Ecspecially when he’s just received a Nike endorsement that should of set him for life? By settling for this money and not having to have the league take any accountability for it and basically get to say it’s a dead issue now is a big red flag of where Kap really stands on what he supposedly believes in.
I think you're applying your own narrative to the lawsuit. I always saw it as a case against the NFL owners colluding to keep him out of the league and depriving him of wages. If the rumoured settlement is true, then he basically proved his case, in m opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2019, 06:44 AM   #75
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think you're applying your own narrative to the lawsuit. I always saw it as a case against the NFL owners colluding to keep him out of the league and depriving him of wages. If the rumoured settlement is true, then he basically proved his case, in m opinion.
Maybe, but it's just as likely that the NFL saw the public division regarding the whole issue with both Kaepernick and Trump and particularly noted the drop in their TV ratings this season. They likely made a business decision that would help them in the longer term.

I suspect if this case dragged out any longer, even if the NFL wasn't directly found liable/guilty, they would come out of this tainted. I don't think the NFL lawyers had any interest in having private statement from dunderheads like Jones, Elway, Biscotti and others exposed.

If there's anything the NFL is really good at it's protecting the NFL.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #76
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think I’m the one applying my own narrative?

He’s basically transformed into a politician. Advocating on how he takes a stand for truth and justice at no matter the cost. He’s labeled his celebrity as a role model for the black community and the injustices that the black community in USA has faced. The slogan for his 20 million dollar Nike ad campaign is even “Believe in something, even if it means losing everything”.

So now when he potentially had a good chance to expose the NFL for what he alleged was collusion on the NFL’s part too keep him out of the league for racist reasons. A chance to take a stand. He took the money and now there will never be any admission on the NFL’s part. Which if he really does believe in what he stands for ecspecially when money is not an issue for him you think would of been his main goal right? Why not expose them for what he’s alleged. Him taking the payout to me screams either selling out or the case just wasn’t there and he accepted the money to go away. I hardly look at it as a moral victory for Kap.

All aside I’d of taken the money too. In a heartbeat. But I’m not a warrior for justice trying to make an example of myself to the world. I’m just selfish old me who could really use the money. Which too me is what he turned out to be. Anyone who says this is a victory for the Kap movement is delusional. If accountability was always the spoken goal and now he’s taking the money and letting them off the hook how can people claim he was being authentic when he’s shown his silence can be bought and maybe he really isn’t prepared too “lose it all”.
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #77
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NFL knew Kaep's defense was going to be showing every snap Nathan Peterman had ever played, and since that constitutes torture the NFL simply didn't want a jury to see that since they'd likely reward Kaep 100 times what he was asking for, plus the jury would sue the NFL for emotional damages for having to watch Peterman highlights and lose several hundred million more. But in all seriousness, the NFL did know it was likely to lose and did not want an on the record decision that could be used as a template for future lawsuits. Pay a little now to avoid paying a lot later. And yeah, considering Kaep's lawsuit was that the league was colluding to keep him out, and thus earn income, was he supposed to be happy with an apology. Based off market paying $20 million for below average QB play and considering Kaep is an elite below average QB, $20 million for the last three years seems about right.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #78
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think I’m the one applying my own narrative?

He’s basically transformed into a politician. Advocating on how he takes a stand for truth and justice at no matter the cost. He’s labeled his celebrity as a role model for the black community and the injustices that the black community in USA has faced. The slogan for his 20 million dollar Nike ad campaign is even “Believe in something, even if it means losing everything”.

So now when he potentially had a good chance to expose the NFL for what he alleged was collusion on the NFL’s part too keep him out of the league for racist reasons. A chance to take a stand. He took the money and now there will never be any admission on the NFL’s part. Which if he really does believe in what he stands for ecspecially when money is not an issue for him you think would of been his main goal right? Why not expose them for what he’s alleged. Him taking the payout to me screams either selling out or the case just wasn’t there and he accepted the money to go away. I hardly look at it as a moral victory for Kap.

All aside I’d of taken the money too. In a heartbeat. But I’m not a warrior for justice trying to make an example of myself to the world. I’m just selfish old me who could really use the money. Which too me is what he turned out to be. Anyone who says this is a victory for the Kap movement is delusional. If accountability was always the spoken goal and now he’s taking the money and letting them off the hook how can people claim he was being authentic when he’s shown his silence can be bought and maybe he really isn’t prepared too “lose it all”.
Yeah, again, that's your own narrative on the purpose of the lawsuit from Kap's end, based on a Nike advertisement. I love people (not necessarily you) on the right screaming "IT WAS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!" Of course it was. Congratulations, and welcome to capitalism.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #79
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The NFL knew Kaep's defense was going to be showing every snap Nathan Peterman had ever played, and since that constitutes torture the NFL simply didn't want a jury to see that since they'd likely reward Kaep 100 times what he was asking for, plus the jury would sue the NFL for emotional damages for having to watch Peterman highlights and lose several hundred million more. But in all seriousness, the NFL did know it was likely to lose and did not want an on the record decision that could be used as a template for future lawsuits. Pay a little now to avoid paying a lot later. And yeah, considering Kaep's lawsuit was that the league was colluding to keep him out, and thus earn income, was he supposed to be happy with an apology. Based off market paying $20 million for below average QB play and considering Kaep is an elite below average QB, $20 million for the last three years seems about right.
That doesn't exist. I feel a lot of people forget that he was a very mediocre QB. Career completion percentage below 60%, career high of only 21 TD passes in 16 games, 3-16 in his last 19 starts. Unless you think Blake Bortles is "elite" below average then Kaepernick really isn't that good. The NFL has a history of bringing back players no matter what crime they have committed if they feel they can perform at a high level but the reality is few teams thought Kaepernick was good enough to warrant the baggage.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #80
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kaepernick owes most of his NFL money to Jim Harbaugh, as do most of that era 49ers. He had that team play well above the sum of thier individual parts.

Look what happened as soon as Harbaugh got undermined by his own organization and forced out? Kaep and the rest of the team fell off a cliff which they as players (Kaep, Aldon Smith etc) for the most part, and the organization itself, still haven't recovered from.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote