Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #21
Karl
Franchise Player
 
Karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Well since he was already there, Im guessing they have a pretty good idea of what he brings and what they lost when he left originally.
Problem is McLeod is beyond useless on the ice now and can barely even play hockey at any sort of level anymore, nevermind the fact that the guy didn't have any non-facepunching NHL calibre hockey playing skill even when he was in his prime.

So excuse me if I'm not buying that and that I don't buy that Poile and the Preds need McLeod despite the fact that they say and think they do.

I really think the Preds over estimate his locker room presence.

Last edited by Karl; 02-10-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #22
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

LOL...ok then
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #23
Robbob
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Problem is McLeod is beyond useless on the ice now and can barely even play hockey at any sort of level anymore, nevermind the fact that the guy didn't have any non-facepunching NHL calibre hockey playing skill even when he was in his prime.

So excuse me if I'm not buying that and that I don't buy that Poile and the Preds need McLeod despite the fact that they say and think they do.

I really think the Preds over estimate his locker room presence.
I think you don't get it, the locker dynamic is pretty important for championship teams. Every championship team or those Cinderella teams, the message is usually the same. They all talk about it being the closest teams they have been on. Poile probably knows what he is talking about, he has been around the game a long time.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #24
Karl
Franchise Player
 
Karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think you don't get it, the locker dynamic is pretty important for championship teams. Ever championship team or those Cinderella teams, the message is usually the same. They all talk about it being the closest teams they have been on. Poile probably knows what he is talking about, he has been around the game a long time.
Yes I don't get this. It's because I don't think McLeod can be that sort of locker room guy for the Preds.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #25
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Exp:
Default

How do you have any insight into the Predators' locker room? Comes off as a ridiculous guess on your part.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Mike Smith, you're an odd fellow but I must say you steam a good crow
TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #26
Karl
Franchise Player
 
Karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
How do you have any insight into the Predators' locker room? Comes off as a ridiculous guess on your part.
I don't, it's just my uneducated opinion.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 04:50 PM   #27
Hey Connor, It's Mess
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Hey Connor, It's Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #28
Itse
Franchise Player
 
Itse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Exp:
Default

IDK.

To me, if a team needs to bring in a plug from the outside to lift the spirits in the locker room, it kind of sounds like that locker room isn't in very good shape to begin with.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #29
memphusk
Powerplay Quarterback
 
memphusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
IDK.

To me, if a team needs to bring in a plug from the outside to lift the spirits in the locker room, it kind of sounds like that locker room isn't in very good shape to begin with.

I think you're wrong there. My B league hockey team is full of locker room all stars. We can have a great pre and post game when guys are missing but you know they aren't there when they should be. Not everybody has to wear skates to make a difference.
__________________
I hate just about everyone and just about everything.
memphusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #30
PeteMoss
Franchise Player
 
PeteMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think you don't get it, the locker dynamic is pretty important for championship teams. Every championship team or those Cinderella teams, the message is usually the same. They all talk about it being the closest teams they have been on. Poile probably knows what he is talking about, he has been around the game a long time.
Basically every team ever says this. The good ones are just written about more.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #31
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback
 
smiggy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Yes I don't get this. It's because I don't think McLeod can be that sort of locker room guy for the Preds.
There is literally a quote from someone in the locker room saying hes a locker room guy lol
__________________
"You're a wizard, Johnny" - Zgoldsm
smiggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #32
Red
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Nashville know they are doing. When was the last time a significant player was traded for and won the cup?

From what I recall the last few years only depth deals were made by caps, pens, Chicago and LA. Boston added Kaberle I guess and LA added Carter in their first cup. We are now going back almost a decade.

Seems like adding depth and character guys is the way to go. Chemistry trumps adding a 30 goal guy for the playoffs.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #33
Itse
Franchise Player
 
Itse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Nashville know they are doing. When was the last time a significant player was traded for and won the cup?

From what I recall the last few years only depth deals were made by caps, pens, Chicago and LA. Boston added Kaberle I guess and LA added Carter in their first cup. We are now going back almost a decade.
LA doesn't win the cup in 2014 without adding Marian Gaborik, who scored 14 goals for them in the playoffs (leading the team by a good margin). That was likely one of the best trade deadline acquisitions ever. Only paid a 2nd round pick for him too.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #34
Red
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
LA doesn't win the cup in 2014 without adding Marian Gaborik, who scored 14 goals for them in the playoffs (leading the team by a good margin). That was likely one of the best trade deadline acquisitions ever. Only paid a 2nd round pick for him too.
Gaborik wasn't a major piece as proven by the price paid. He became one though. Just like Nilson and Nimiinen did for us.
Depth guys.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 AM   #35
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Gaborik wasn't a major piece as proven by the price paid. He became one though. Just like Nilson and Nimiinen did for us.
Depth guys.
Agreed, except it's Nieminen. Also got Chris Simon before the POs. Gaborik was n't just a rental either, though.

Flames did have a pretty good add early in that 03-04 season, for a second rounder. A depth goalie.
GioforPM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #36
Red
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Agreed, except it's Nieminen. Also got Chris Simon before the POs. Gaborik was n't just a rental either, though.

Flames did have a pretty good add early in that 03-04 season, for a second rounder. A depth goalie.
Thanks for correcting the typo, good for you, wouldn't be a GioforPM post without correcting someone

My point is that we acquired depth for the playoffs. Kipper wasn't a deadline add. And looking at the majority of winners last several years, almost none added a huge piece in their prime years.
But we are going off topic here. My only point remains that we shouldnt laugh at the Preds for adding character 4th liners.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM   #37
Itse
Franchise Player
 
Itse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Gaborik wasn't a major piece as proven by the price paid. He became one though. Just like Nilson and Nimiinen did for us.
Depth guys.
Gaborik was a three time 40 goal scorer. His stock might have been down, but comparing him to Nilson and Nieminen is selling him short.

That said, I get that it's somewhat reasonable to define "major piece" by the acquisition price in this context.

I would personally say that Gaborik was more of a risky acquisition that they got for cheap rather than a "depth piece", and I really struggle to call the leading scorer of a team anything other than a major acquisition.

But this is all semantics obviously.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #38
Red
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Gaboric was years removed from glory days. He hadn't score 10 in 2 or 3 seasons prior. He was closer to retirement than a playoff star.
He worked out great, but still, 2nd rounder suggests a depth acquisition.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Thanks for correcting the typo, good for you, wouldn't be a GioforPM post without correcting someone

My point is that we acquired depth for the playoffs. Kipper wasn't a deadline add. And looking at the majority of winners last several years, almost none added a huge piece in their prime years.
But we are going off topic here. My only point remains that we shouldnt laugh at the Preds for adding character 4th liners.
No, indeed. Depth is the best thing to add. Higher up, I don;'t want a rental, but depth I don't care much.

Nieminen got the attention, because he was a disturber, but Nilson was a superior player. And Simon was still pretty good quality (and was a classic Sutter guy). The Kipper thing was a joke.

A couple near misses last year added bigger pieces - Tatar in Vegas and Stastny in Winnipeg (if winning two rounds and then losing badly to Vegas is a near miss).
GioforPM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #40
Red
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Tarar barely played. If Gaborik was the example of great add, Tatar was a terrible one.

Last edited by Red; 02-11-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:53 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016