Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The stretch run

Sure we are still in the middle of the Flames break, but that does mean it is after the all star break and the dog days of the season are behind us.

Here are the 7 game segments so far this season. Flames just need to keep on keeping on. If they finish the season just by collecting the 8 points per segment then after the 11th segment they would be sitting at 99 points with 5 games to play.

Here are some of the magic numbers for the Flames against the Pacific teams.

We do have the ROW on teams and that isn't calculated here. So if that is still the case near the end than it would account for a point or half a game depending on the number you are using.

For the Pacific division the Flames and SJ have 61 game events remaining. Flames need 27.5 to go their way (Flames win or SJ loss) to clinch. The Flames very much control their own destiny there. Flames currently have a points % of 69.9% (collecting 71 out of 102 points). If that number dropped to 60% the remainder of the season than SJ would probably only be allowed to lose 8 games the rest of the way.

For our friends from the north, there are 63 game events remaining between them and only a third need to go the Flames way before they officially become a fixture in the rear-view mirror. With 27 of those 63 games coming before the end of February, probably means it will be the very early days of March when Spector starts crying into his beer...again.

Last edited by Robbob; 01-28-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:21 AM   #2
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quality of opposition jumps up pretty significantly right now. The remaining 5 games in this segment are all tough. In the next one there are teams which are struggling like the Ducks but I consider all those teams (except Ottawa) dangerous. AZ is playing pretty well, Fla has good players, NYI, Pitt are real challenges and the Ducks are who they are (but it's a home game at least).

To their credit. last segment the Flames did exactly what you'd hope for against bottom feeders.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect the Washington game to be a little sloppy with both teams coming out of the break and Ovie not playing. It is a bit of a trap game. Just need to keep picking up points.

That SJ game coming up and the pair vs LV in the 10th segment are ones I am looking forward to.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

The 2 against the Knights is going to be a great measuring stick as to where this team is at and what the playoffs could look like for the flames.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
The 2 against the Knights is going to be a great measuring stick as to where this team is at and what the playoffs could look like for the flames.
I'm going to the game in Vegas! Definitely a great time to go, should be a hell of a game!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Take care of business and will avoid Sharks and Knights in first round.
Which doesn't make it any easier necessarily, but finish 2nd in division means likely knights then Sharks as first 2 rounds is tough. These are 2 of the top 5 (maybe) teams in the league. Be good to bypass one of them in round 1
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Take care of business and will avoid Sharks and Knights in first round.
Which doesn't make it any easier necessarily, but finish 2nd in division means likely knights then Sharks as first 2 rounds is tough. These are 2 of the top 5 (maybe) teams in the league. Be good to bypass one of them in round 1
I agree. The way Fleury has been playing lately, he isn't a goalie you want to run into. The longer we can keep or build on the 6 and 9 point lead on SJ and Vegas the better it is, as games remaining will start to be an factor.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Don't know why Im nervous for the stretch run. Hopefully Flames can continue playing at a high level.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I'm going to the game in Vegas! Definitely a great time to go, should be a hell of a game!
That will be a blast. I am down there for the REMAX conference a week before and couldn't believe the price of tickets. Early in the year I figured I would wait as they seemed to be struggling which backfired.

Has anyone had any luck seeing discounts through awards clubs such as m life with decent gambling / dinners / shows points on the card? Or is scalping a thing? Or am I just better off getting them in advance and paying the premium?

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Don't know why Im nervous for the stretch run. Hopefully Flames can continue playing at a high level.
Because friend, we have been hurt before.
Let go, brother
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post

Because this would be the first time since '06 that the Flames didn't trip over their own feet if they can stay on top of the division. I'm really hoping this group is the one to finally buck the trend of the Flames collapsing down the stretch and into the playoffs, but we won't know that for sure for awhile yet
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #12
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excited to see them play Washington, San Jose, Tampa, NYI (top team in the east, plus day after trade deadline), and Toronto

In Ottawa day before the trade deadline. That team could look very different than the current roster. Will be easy for Stone to just cross the hallway to the visitors dressing room
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #13
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Because this would be the first time since '06 that the Flames didn't trip over their own feet if they can stay on top of the division. I'm really hoping this group is the one to finally buck the trend of the Flames collapsing down the stretch and into the playoffs, but we won't know that for sure for awhile yet
14/15 Flames were great down the stretch. But yes hopefully this season can be the first of consecutive teams that don't blow it.

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #14
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I'm debating going to Vegas. I've been to all the games we have played there, and when you combine epic hangovers, giant gambling expenses and a Flames loss every time I go I'm wondering if I need to stay home.

I have yet to see a road win for ANY Flames game I have gone to, dating back to 2006!
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #15
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfTheFlame View Post
14/15 Flames were great down the stretch. But yes hopefully this season can be the first of consecutive teams that don't blow it.

That squad was a complete anomoly. Not supposed to make the playoffs, zero expectations on them, every win they got was just a bonus, which is why I excluded them. For as long as I've watched the Flames, anytime they have had any kind of expectation to win put on them they've failed miserably. Hopefully Peters has some magic up his sleeve to prevent that from happening again
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #16
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That squad was a complete anomoly. Not supposed to make the playoffs, zero expectations on them, every win they got was just a bonus, which is why I excluded them. For as long as I've watched the Flames, anytime they have had any kind of expectation to win put on them they've failed miserably. Hopefully Peters has some magic up his sleeve to prevent that from happening again
I don't think it will require magic. Unlike numerous previous iterations this team is different. They are clearly the best roster to wear the Flames sweater in at least two decades, they are a tight group, and they appear to be on a mission.

They know how good they are. There is nothing magical about remaining confident in what they know and drawing on it for future success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #17
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

February was going to be a tough month regardless of the opponents. 3 separate trips to the Eastern time zone this month. It's odd to come home, play one game, out to Vancouver, than right back East. If the Flames come out of February with a .550 point percentage, I think they'll be in great shape down the stretch.

Should be fun though as the team has put themselves in a great position thru the first 51 games.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That will be a blast. I am down there for the REMAX conference a week before and couldn't believe the price of tickets. Early in the year I figured I would wait as they seemed to be struggling which backfired.

Has anyone had any luck seeing discounts through awards clubs such as m life with decent gambling / dinners / shows points on the card? Or is scalping a thing? Or am I just better off getting them in advance and paying the premium?
I'm Mlife (Gold) and I've never seen hockey tickets as part of a deal. It might be worth waiting and seeing what comes up on resellers but you'd be taking your chances. I'm sure some would be available at face value though.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #19
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default The stretch run

This is a bit of a tangent, but can someone explain whyVGK is the only team for which hotel accommodations can be booked directly through nhl.com? Is this tied to the League’s partnership with MGM Grande?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #20
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yea finishing 1st is crucial to avoid San Jose or Vegas. I would be very afraid to face one of them in the first round. Not that i think we cant beat them its just that theres a chance we could waste this great season by facing a top team early and getting kicked. Plus if they face each other and we win our round the team that comes out of that matchup will be tired and bruised up for us. I would rather face Minnesota/Colorado/Vancouver/Edmonton in round 1.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote