Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2019, 05:59 AM   #41
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The Ryan Kesler contract doesn't seem to get a lot of flak league-wide.

48 games played, 4 goals, 2 assists, -21. 34 years old and signed at $6.875M for the next three seasons.

Oof.

I think the Kesler contract is Exhibit A as the prime example of having to sign a contract that will eventually stink at a time when the team is in its last legs of being a SC contender.

Kesler was a key contributor to Anaheim’s SC chances and letting him simply leave would have been a sign that their competitive window was closed. They took their last chance.

His contract likely makes no difference anyway, they are in a rebuild stage regardless of his contract.

I don’t think this was a situation where Anaheim misread the situation; they simply plugged their nose and inked the contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:14 AM   #42
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kesler will probably end his deal on LTIR anyway

One of these times he'll dive too hard and break a nail

Last edited by Geeoff; 02-11-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:50 AM   #43
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Eakins is hired in the off-season as I really want to see this happen to that organization.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #44
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Hopefully Eakins is hired in the off-season as I really want to see this happen to that organization.
LA: Desjardins
Anaheim: Eakins?
Edmonton: Gulutzan?

Please let this play out hockey gods!
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #45
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's so damn beautiful to see the Ducks sucking. So beautiful.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #46
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

There wont be a busier team at the deadline...though the pieces Murray really needs to move wont happen til the summer, if at all.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #47
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

#NeverForgetChia

https://twitter.com/user/status/1094656841689124868

https://twitter.com/user/status/1094714682873540608
Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #48
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

If the Ducks were to get the top pick in this draft, find a way to parlay Silfverberg into something decent, and maybe make a couple of other minor tweaks, plus expand their budget they could bounce back pretty quick.

They still have a good core of younger defencemen and Gibson on the backend. It's almost like when the San Antonio Spurs had David Robinson injured for a year...sucked, got to draft Tim Duncan and rebounded even stronger.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #49
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dallas Eakins has done really well as a coach everywhere he's been except for Edmonton.

I have reason to believe the Oilers are just no good.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #50
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
If the Ducks were to get the top pick in this draft, find a way to parlay Silfverberg into something decent, and maybe make a couple of other minor tweaks, plus expand their budget they could bounce back pretty quick.

They still have a good core of younger defencemen and Gibson on the backend. It's almost like when the San Antonio Spurs had David Robinson injured for a year...sucked, got to draft Tim Duncan and rebounded even stronger.
Are they not already over the cap with LTIR?

I would think they are pretty much a "cap" team already...they just have a couple brutal contracts.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Dallas Eakins has done really well as a coach everywhere he's been except for Edmonton.

Everywhere else being not the NHL. I think stuff like swarm defences work better against non-NHL offensive players who have great IQs and fast puck movement.

But, yeah, he was dealt a bad hand. Anaheim isn't looking a lot better from a personnel perspective though.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Are they not already over the cap with LTIR?

I would think they are pretty much a "cap" team already...they just have a couple brutal contracts.
They have on $55K in cap room. They have $&M in IR, and I don't know the status of Miller or Eaves. Kase is on LTIR.

They have a nice rental in Silverberg if they wanna give that up. They could get a really good return for Rakell IMO. They probably would move Del Zotto.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #53
vicarious
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Stupid Ducks, I hate the Ducks. May they suck for eternity from here on out.
vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #54
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

He is clearly a really good coach at the AHL level (yet to win a championship, though, at any level), but not all great minor-league coaches are cut out to make it in the NHL.

Eakins was one of EIGHT coaches the Oilers have employed in the past eleven years, and he is easily one of the bottom two or three. While it is abundantly fair to point to a decade of Edmonton failure that affects everything at every level, Eakins showed NOTHING in his time there to suggest that he is a competent NHL coach.

I expect similar results when he is promoted in Anaheim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #55
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough to really judge Eakins.

He had one center in all his time there - RNH. The closest thing he had to a 2C was Sam Gagner who since leave the Oilers has been a 4C + PP guy at best and is actually playing in the AHL this year. Closest thing he had to a 3C was a rookie Leon Draisaitl, and as we have seen Draisaitl is just one of those guys who needs a Hall or McDavid driving his line to be successful, and at the time Hall-RNH-Eberle were worth keeping together. And even RNH is still not a #1C in my opinion.

His D core wasn't much better... Ference, Fayne were a few of their mainstays. Petry was good but never had a partner and is more of a 2nd pair guy not a #1. Klefbom was a mistake-prone rookie, at best basically a poor man's Hanifin. Schultz was skilled but due to his inability to handle an NHL forecheck needs to be sheltered as even his success in Pittsburgh has come when paired with Cole in 3rd pair deployment. Eakins was kind of screwed here.

And goaltending, while a lot of us do remember Eakins for the "this guy scored" swarm, it's not like he's the only coach to advocate aggressive play. What we do know is that in 2013-14:

Dubnyk's 5v5 high danger GAA of 1.59 was comparable to Pekka Rinne at 1.63. One guy played for Dallas Eakins and one guy for Barry Trotz. One guy behind Josi & Weber, the other behind... not them.
Dubnyk's 5v5 medium danger GAA of 0.82 was, again, not good, but better fhan Pekka Rinne at 0.98.
Dubnyk's 5v5 Low danger SV% was the third worst in the league. Only Brodeur in his final season and our old friend Retto Berra were worse. His low danger GAA of 0.65 was wayyy worse than Pekka Rinne's 0.27
Maybe Dubnyk just had a down year. I don't think coaches can influence low danger SV% much.

The Oilers' PK was middle of the pack. They allowed 50 PPGA which was the same as the eventual Cup Champ Kings.

Scrivens and Fasth were, by any definition, bad goaltenders.

So bad goalies, bad defensive core, no centers. Can't get dealt a worse tri-fecta than that. Other Oilers coaches have at least had some goaltending or centers or a more mature Klefbom plus Larsson and in McLellan's case the rock solid Sekera

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-11-2019 at 03:56 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Eakins is similar to Gulutzan in that they don't have the charisma needed to lead millionaire players that can sense when a coach is over his head. The dog rolling thing in practice, the hair, etc. Players can see through that and they don't believe that buying into him will lead them to a championship.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 02-11-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #57
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Laughing at the fact that Kessler will make more than money hands for the next couple of years
Old 02-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #58
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think Eakins is similar to Gulutzan in that they don't have the charisma needed to lead millionaire players that can sense when a coach is over his head. The dog rolling thing in practice, the hair, etc. Players can see through that and they don't believe that buying into him will lead them to a championship.
The hair??? lol
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Please elaborate on your hair deficiency theory. Players can “see through it”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #60
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Tough to really judge Eakins...

...So bad goalies, bad defensive core, no centers. Can't get dealt a worse tri-fecta than that. Other Oilers coaches have at least had some goaltending or centers or a more mature Klefbom plus Larsson and in McLellan's case the rock solid Sekera
Not really. Some coaches had better rosters, yes, but certainly not all of them. Tom Renney and Ralph Krueger both coached essentially the same group, and both got more out of them. Todd McLellan had more to work with, but was obviously better. Dallas Eakins is a bad NHL coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote: