Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #1
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default NHL.com: Bennett rounding into form as guy who can do everything for the Flames

Article by George Johnson:
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/my-g...ng/c-304931794

Quote:
"What's different?" repeats Flames GM Brad Treliving to the question put to him. "Identify a greatest growth area in Sam Bennett?

"Well, I'd say in just being himself. In being more comfortable in his own skin.
"In realizing he can be a major player here, can have a real impact and that that impact is not solely statistically based.

"We expect him to produce offensively and he will, he does. But he gives us a certain different skill set that not a lot of guys possess.

"There's an abrasiveness, a competitiveness, a hardness, to him that you can't just walk down to the corner store and find any day of the week."
Quote:
"Everyone,'' reckons Bennett, "wants to be the goal-scorer, produce all the points. I mean, who wouldn't want that?

"But especially when you're winning as a team, you realize there are things, important things, other than those kinds of stats that go into it.

"It takes time to kind of find your role. And that role can change over time.

"Obviously, I'm not the same player I was when I came into the league. And I think through the course of my career I'm going to change again.

"It just kind of works itself out.'
Quote:
The developing maturity of Sam Bennett since his arrival here hasn't been confined to the on-ice. A cancer diagnosis for his mom Diane two years ago hit home that real strength comes in different sizes, shapes and forms.

"It's eye-opening. Came out of nowhere, blindsided us," he says. "Pretty scary for awhile. You do learn to appreciate life more. All those things you thought were so important … turns out they're minor.

"I remember my parents sitting down and telling me. You get pretty emotional. It's just the not knowing … a tough day for sure.

"Thank God she's doing good now and that's behind us."
One of my favorite Flames...happy to hear that Sam has found that comfort level when it comes to his role and that his mom is doing better.

Last edited by mile; 02-17-2019 at 06:54 PM.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Era is not going to like this.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It makes me happy when I browse hockey reddits and other hockey forums and see how many fans of opposing teams mention how much they hate playing Bennett.

Sharks fans, for example, HATE him, but even teams we don't have rivalries with and/or don't play much have mentioned him in particular as a guy that seems like a pain in the ass to play against
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I'm quite happy that Bennet has found his niche and seems comfortable in his role on the team. He's been a totally different player this year and his play has been a welcomed contribution.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #5
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Thanks for sharing. I like Peters’ comments on Bennett, identifying some things he does well that don’t show up on the scoresheet (but as half the article is quoted, will refrain from quoting).

Also, I don’t miss Gulutzan. Wasted a couple of years of development.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #6
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if I like the idea that he's found his niche. Glad he's less frustrated these days but he hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential IMO. I still see him taking over for Backlund someday, driving a line with Chucky on a flank. Love this kid. But his niche is still waiting for him.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-17-2019 at 07:13 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 07:18 PM   #7
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't know if I like the idea that he's found his niche. Glad he's less frustrated these days but he hasn't even scratched the surface of his potential IMO. I still see him taking over for Backlund someday, driving a line with Chucky on a flank. Love this kid. But his niche is still waiting for him.
I don't disagree, but it's nice he's not just frustrated and taking dumb penalties while not really contributing anywhere else like the Gulutzan years
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #8
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m worried that he is the guy that someone will pay more money for than we should pay him to play on a contender.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #9
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Bennett has a lot more to give. I think he has elite play-making ability and will be able to drive a line as an elite power centre one day. I think he needs a guy who can keep up, read off what he does, and has some semblance of finishing ability.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #10
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I don't disagree, but it's nice he's not just frustrated and taking dumb penalties while not really contributing anywhere else like the Gulutzan years
On that note, reading this article about his mom's cancer scare two years ago, I recalled that Bennett's worst stretch of play came from January 2017 to mid-November 2017. The timeline would place that two years ago.

I always attributed the drop in play to Gulutzan taking Sam off the PP in late Dec 2016 but it's possible the off-ice stuff also affected his play on the ice.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #11
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I’m worried that he is the guy that someone will pay more money for than we should pay him to play on a contender.
Good thing he's still an rfa
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #12
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While I know he's not putting up the points he (or we) would like, aside from gaudreau, there's no one on the team that I like watching more when they're on their game. He's been important in entering the zone on pp2 as well; no one else really has the the speed required.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #13
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I still think Sam can be a 50 point player in this league. But he has to start working from a position if strength, which is what he does when he plays physical.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #14
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Bennett... to say a guy who can everything though.... scoring would be nice once in a while
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #15
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

He reminds me of ol Gary before his goal scoring blew up after the cup.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #16
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
I like Bennett... to say a guy who can everything though.... scoring would be nice once in a while
9G 9A in his last 37 GP is basically a 20G/20A pace lately. That's with Neal still looking to score goals off his own stick and Jankowski being really weak in certain details that are necessary from a center.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #17
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett has been steadily maturing into a very interesting player... he's not going to be a 65-80 point player like people initially hoped for, but all the other things people talked about, having grit in his game, willing to go to the tough places on the ice have come true.

what has been unexpected for me is his willingness to fight and be a very credible middle weight...

i adjusted my hope in the off season, that rather than a Doug Gimour type player, we'd be lucky to have Sam turn into a Mike Peca type player...

So far so good.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #18
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
He reminds me of ol Gary before his goal scoring blew up after the cup.
ha. Good thing I read the article before posting, and see that Johnson, actually wrote;

Quote:
Searching for down-the-road comparables, similar flight paths, in this town, left-winger Gary Roberts pops immediately to mind.
Roberts arrived as the 10th-overall pick in '84 enwrapped in hoopla, all edges and angles and raw materials. Over time, he developed into a 53-goal/207 PIM prototype power forward for an era.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #19
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Bennett has been steadily maturing into a very interesting player... he's not going to be a 65-80 point player like people initially hoped for, but all the other things people talked about, having grit in his game, willing to go to the tough places on the ice have come true.

what has been unexpected for me is his willingness to fight and be a very credible middle weight...

i adjusted my hope in the off season, that rather than a Doug Gimour type player, we'd be lucky to have Sam turn into a Mike Peca type player...

So far so good.
At 22, he is rounding the corner on 0.5 PPG (is 0.5ppg since January 1st, 9 points in 18 games). As he continues to develop night to night, I don't think it'll be shocking to see him at 50 points in the very near future.

He is actively developing into a hell of a player. It's fun to watch players get better night in and night out.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-17-2019 at 08:20 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #20
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good article as always by Johnson

But expect more as his agents try and raise his profile going into free agency.

I still think the Oilers offer sheet him with a 2 year offer at $4Mill per year, which is a 2nd round pick compensation.