Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #9681
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, if you're gonna land stone and stand a chance at keeping him around for a while, you're gonna have to move some money like Frolik to manage that cap hit on top of inking Tkachuk, and Bennett, and getting goal tending figured out. Getting Stone will create a massive cap management issue I'm not sure that the Flames could deal with .

Still think the mid tier players are where the Flames go shopping.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #9682
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksWorstNightmare View Post
Or would Chicago be willing to trade Crawford with 1 year left on his deal? He has had some concussion issues the last couple years but when healthy he would be an upgrade for sure.
If Crawford was healthy and back to his former self (unlikely for sure), he could easily lead Calgary deep into the playoffs.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #9683
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

With Corey Crawford ready to return to the Hawks lineup and Collin Delia signing a three-year contract extension something has to give in Chicago no?? My guess would be that one of Crawford or Ward is moved before the deadline.Which one would you guys prefer?Crawford will probably cost a little more but if he is healthy look out.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #9684
CanucksWorstNightmare
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Ward is not a very good goalie, although better than Smith.

With Crawford potentially being iffy for the rest of the season (career?), its doubtful that Chicago moves Ward with them suddenly back in a potential playoff spot.

When Crawford comes back, Delia will go back to Rockford and wait for Crawford to get injured again. I assume Delia will be the back up next season.

Sounds like Cam Ward is playing some really good hockey at the moment The Cobra:

Cam Ward turned aside 43 shots in a 5-2 win over Detroit on Sunday.
Ward was busy in the contest and took up the challenge to earn his fourth straight win. He has been playing very well during Chicago's seven-game win streak. Ward and Collin Delia have been supplying the Blackhawks with superb goaltending in Corey Crawford's absence.

Feb 10, 2019, 4:19 PM
Old 02-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #9685
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Ward is not a very good goalie, although better than Smith...
I am not convinced that he is. He has had a run of good games since the ASG—not at all dissimilar to Smith back in late November, but he is 34-years-old and has otherwise looked terrible all season.

Replacing Mike Smith with Cam Ward is a lateral move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #9686
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Just stop talking about getting a signed Stone. It’s not happening. Any deal is 30 games of stone with the inside track to sign him. Ya contract extensions have happened in trade and sign deals but almost always for significantly less valuable assets. Stone gets to wait 30 games and go anywhere he wants. I can see the flames resigning him ahead of the FA if he come Shere and loved the team but I don’t see it happening before he gets here unless it’s a over pay. Why exactly does he want to significantly raise his trade value for Ottawa again? And it’s not only Stone you’re talking, it’s Dzingel as well. I actually could see Dzingel being signed ahead of time but you’re not trading Tkachuk for Dzingel and a Stone playoff run.

On another note, does the team trading for Stone get the exclusive right to add an extra year to his extension versus teams trying to sign him as a UFA?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #9687
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree with the notion that Treliving will not give away significant assets for a rental, so if all the teams that are interested happen to be of the same mindset, the Flames stand a chance at acquiring Stone. He's already stated this publicly many, many times and his history confirms his philosophy. If any of the serious teams are willing to pay a heavy price without being able to re-sign Stone after he's acquired, the Flames will step out of discussions as that team would have a more appealing offer.

Agree as well that offers start with a 1st, roster player (cap implications) and a prospect. I can see Treliving trying to get the Sens to agree to something like the 2019 1st, Frolik and Kylington for a signed Stone at a dollar value that works in Treliving's plans. The suggestion of Dube, Frolik and Kylington is another one that I think Treliving would be fine with if it gets him a signed Stone. I think Ottawa might push for Bennett, Dube and Kylington. The Flames have been patient with Sam and I feel like Treliving is quite high on Bennett and won't move him unless he's getting a player he likes a lot. A signed Stone that fits into his plans might be that guy, and it allows him to keep his 2019 1st.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #9688
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not sure what any of this has to do with anything.
Well just because the Flames won the cup doesn't make that a good trade for the long term health of the club. Especially if the player in question could have been had for less if the GM was a better evaluator of talent.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #9689
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I keep circling back around to this, but with each passing day I become more enticed by the prospect of adding Mats Zuccarello.

Increasing the ratio of Norwegians on the team is the real key to winning.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #9690
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Well just because the Flames won the cup doesn't make that a good trade for the long term health of the club. Especially if the player in question could have been had for less if the GM was a better evaluator of talent.
Anything that results in you winning the Cup is justified.

It's that hard, should happen about every 30 years.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #9691
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I keep circling back around to this, but with each passing day I become more enticed by the prospect of adding Mats Zuccarello.

I'd like it if Treliving added him too. Clearly not the same calibre as Stone, but he's a guy who will come at a significantly lower cost and the kind of guy I can see producing in the playoffs from the bottom 6. Does he have years left on his contract?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #9692
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Seems like a realistic target. Ultimately I think the Flames do not land one of the big 3 forwards in Duchene, Stone, Panarin but will be in the mix for that 2nd tier that includes Zuccarello, Hayes, Simmonds etc.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #9693
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'd be more than fine with that. They want an upgrade on Frolik. Zuccarello is that.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #9694
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Anything that results in you winning the Cup is justified.

It's that hard, should happen about every 30 years.
Consider your audience in this case.

Mr. Mean Mustard does not understand about "winning the Cup," and hails from a place where happening "about every 30 years" is a pipe-dream.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #9695
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I view that as a trade that was easy to forgive because they won the cup. But if they hadn’t it would’ve been crucified as a big mistake.

Trading away one of the best goal scorers ever for a decent backup and an ageing defencemen isn’t great asset management. I doubt Fletcher knew what Hull would become or I doubt he would’ve made that deal.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #9696
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm about 93% sure we won't be getting Stone.

But I think it is quite realistic that we pick up one of Zuccarello, Nyquist, Silvferberg, Hayes, Coyle, Simmonds.

And I think it's the right move as probably 2 of the 3 teams that acquire the big guys will end up not liking the trade in hindsight (if all three are traded).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #9697
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The only one I want to give up a first round pick for is Stone.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #9698
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post

On another note, does the team trading for Stone get the exclusive right to add an extra year to his extension versus teams trying to sign him as a UFA?
yes
Old 02-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #9699
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Michael Stone is whispering into Trev's ear about his brother.

"Hey Trev, ya animal... ever thought about getting twice as Stone'd? Trade for my bro, and then the STONE brothers can ROCK and roll all ova the ice togetha, biyatch"
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #9700
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Mark Stone is not coming to Calgary. The cost is the very definition of prohibitive.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread