Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #101
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn...

Quote:
Liverpool have confirmed that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is likely to miss the vast majority of the 2018-19 season as he continues his recovery from knee ligament damage, with manager Jurgen Klopp saying "it will be a bonus" if the 24-year-old plays at all.
http://global.espn.com/football/live...rity-of-season

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #102
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We probably will see a more competitive season at the top, while United havent made many moves they were still a pretty good team last season, their only major concerns were the number of times De Gea hauled them out of the fire and their lack of scoring, I would imagine that Lukaku will refind his form and start scoring for fun again.

Arsenal look like they're going to be a better team, although the rumours are that they might lose Cech to Chelsea.

Spurs should be more or less the same, maybe better if theres no injuries to Kane and Alli and they pay up their bribes to the 'Referees and Linesmen's Official Widows and Orphans Fund' so they get every penalty in the League.

Chelsea might be hot garbage. Thats a bit of a wildcard.
Yes, the only hope for Spurs is favourable calls from the officials. I mean we’ve finished ahead of Liverpool in something 8/9 last years, and that can only be due to the officials.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #103
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yes, the only hope for Spurs is favourable calls from the officials. I mean we’ve finished ahead of Liverpool in something 8/9 last years, and that can only be due to the officials.
See? Finally, a Spurs fan talking sense!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #104
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
See? Finally, a Spurs fan talking sense!
The only thing we haven't heard from the Liverpool fans yet is that "This is our year!", but it's maybe a little early...I say that cry comes around October.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #105
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only thing we haven't heard from the Liverpool fans yet is that "This is our year!", but it's maybe a little early...I say that cry comes around October.
That seems a bit premature.

We did make the Champions' League Final last season and despite a rocky start and some poor results managed to qualify for the CL again.

I dont know what this year is going to hold, but I think there is reason to be optimistic.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #106
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
They had the 142M from Coutinho so that helps fund some of the spending but yeah still a big offseason for LiverpooL.
They had already blew over half that on van Dijk.

Big season for Klopp. Put up or shut up time. Can't blame the weather, the refs, pitch conditions for ever.

Strange behaviour with Karius after the dream unforgettable legendary CL performance with that silly video when you'd have thought he'd be keeping a low profile, head down, workmanship humble demeanour and slowly earning back trust.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #107
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Howard Webb is the sole reason they haven't 15 PL titles.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #108
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
They had already blew over half that on van Dijk.

Big season for Klopp. Put up or shut up time. Can't blame the weather, the refs, pitch conditions for ever.

Strange behaviour with Karius after the dream unforgettable legendary CL performance with that silly video when you'd have thought he'd be keeping a low profile, head down, workmanship humble demeanour and slowly earning back trust.
Forgot they spent 75M on Van Dijk and made him the most expensive defender ever. (Good player but that was a PREMIUM)

Yeah Liverpool fans can't complain about ownership's willingness to spend right now, and Klopp does have no excuses now.

Good & deep enough squad, spent lots of money, and will have a top end goalie.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #109
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Forgot they spent 75M on Van Dijk and made him the most expensive defender ever. (Good player but that was a PREMIUM)

Yeah Liverpool fans can't complain about ownership's willingness to spend right now, and Klopp does have no excuses now.

Good & deep enough squad, spent lots of money, and will have a top end goalie.
Good player, but we're desperate and they know it, big English club with lots of money so the price goes up.

Similar with Alisson.

In the conversation as one of the best Goalkeepers in the World, 25 years old, under contract and to a desperate team.

Price goes up.

No doubt the Fekir scenario is similar.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #110
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its no coincidence that the teams consistently at the top of the tables are City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal....the teams that spend a ton of money.
I wish Arsenal were both at the top of the tables and spent a ton of money
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #111
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I wish Arsenal were both at the top of the tables and spent a ton of money
Well, relative to most clubs they are and they do. This is what, their second season missing the Champions' League in 20 years or something?

Thats the top of table.

And they've splashed cash in their past. Just not all that well because they couldnt retain top talent.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #112
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We probably will see a more competitive season at the top
we'll see. City were so far ahead last season, their team doesn't really need a lot of strengthening this year and I'd expect them to be the clear favourite once again. Also not convinced they've given up on a midfield signing ... getting an upgrade or at least an alternative to Fernandinho would help them. Liverpool has splashed a lot of cash, but pretty wisely. Alisson is way too expensive, but a necessary acquisition after the Karius debacle. Their midfield signings are smart, we'll see how quickly they click and whether Salah can repeat his ridiculous season. Spurs still have the same look as last season, but that might not be a bad thing for them. Chelsea will have a completely different look this season and Sarri is a fantastic manager. But if they sell Hazard, it might be tough for them. Arsenal have done some interesting business, but I'm not sold at all when it comes to Emery.

As for United, I'm not optimistic at all. Fred was a decent signing, but there's no other signings in sight and Mourinho isn't happy about it. My guess is they are cautious about his often short-sighted approach and don't just want him to splash cash in whatever way he wants to. I can already see him moan about it, citing a "lack of quality" throughout the season ... heck, there might even be a good old Mourinho meltdown on the horizon. Maybe I'm completely wrong here, who knows. But so far, this summer does not fill me with confidence.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #113
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure why City don't try Stones more as a DM in that Fernandinho role. They have a lot of CB depth as is (Kompany, Otamendi, Laporte, could even use Danilo or Delph), Stones is a very good passer and more offensive minded for a defender anyway. I think that in the last two seasons, both Chelsea and City left no margin for error, they won virtually every game they were "supposed to", so every slight slip up by the other top six was more damaging. So really if you're the other teams chasing City, focusing on making sure you earn as close to max points from those games is probably the key to winning anything.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #114
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
we'll see. City were so far ahead last season, their team doesn't really need a lot of strengthening this year and I'd expect them to be the clear favourite once again. Also not convinced they've given up on a midfield signing ... getting an upgrade or at least an alternative to Fernandinho would help them. Liverpool has splashed a lot of cash, but pretty wisely. Alisson is way too expensive, but a necessary acquisition after the Karius debacle. Their midfield signings are smart, we'll see how quickly they click and whether Salah can repeat his ridiculous season. Spurs still have the same look as last season, but that might not be a bad thing for them. Chelsea will have a completely different look this season and Sarri is a fantastic manager. But if they sell Hazard, it might be tough for them. Arsenal have done some interesting business, but I'm not sold at all when it comes to Emery.

As for United, I'm not optimistic at all. Fred was a decent signing, but there's no other signings in sight and Mourinho isn't happy about it. My guess is they are cautious about his often short-sighted approach and don't just want him to splash cash in whatever way he wants to. I can already see him moan about it, citing a "lack of quality" throughout the season ... heck, there might even be a good old Mourinho meltdown on the horizon. Maybe I'm completely wrong here, who knows. But so far, this summer does not fill me with confidence.
I still think that there is a good chance that Alderweireld is heading to United. I guess the rumour is that the fee was found to be "extortionate" though, so I'm hopeful that if we are selling him in the league that we are getting every last nickel from you!
Old 07-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #115
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Mentioned that today at his press conference and I dont think United have even kicked a ball yet...

Old 07-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #116
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still think that there is a good chance that Alderweireld is heading to United. I guess the rumour is that the fee was found to be "extortionate" though, so I'm hopeful that if we are selling him in the league that we are getting every last nickel from you!
well given that they are trying to offload deadwood in other areas too (Blind has just been sold back to Ajax, and Darmian is probably off to Juventus or Inter), I'm sure they'd want to sell a CB before they bring one in. Right now, they already have Bailly, Lindelöf, Smalling, Jones and Rojo, and that's before you factor in prospects like Tuanzebe. It's a crowded room already, even with all their injuries. Can they sell Smalling, Jones or Rojo to make room? ...

Either way, I hope they stay clear from Alderweireld. Really like him, but way too expensive and coming off an injury-plagued season. If they did buy a CB this summer, I hope they'd go for Maguire or, even better, Pavard, who is my favourite young CB in world football by a mile. I'm biased because I like Stuttgart a lot, but still.

But there's more pressing needs in the squad anyway, namely left back and right wing.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #117
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That seems a bit premature.

We did make the Champions' League Final last season and despite a rocky start and some poor results managed to qualify for the CL again.

I dont know what this year is going to hold, but I think there is reason to be optimistic.
I say you two actually sound quite alike with your affinity to finishing almost first.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #118
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
well given that they are trying to offload deadwood in other areas too (Blind has just been sold back to Ajax, and Darmian is probably off to Juventus or Inter), I'm sure they'd want to sell a CB before they bring one in. Right now, they already have Bailly, Lindelöf, Smalling, Jones and Rojo, and that's before you factor in prospects like Tuanzebe. It's a crowded room already, even with all their injuries. Can they sell Smalling, Jones or Rojo to make room? ...

Either way, I hope they stay clear from Alderweireld. Really like him, but way too expensive and coming off an injury-plagued season. If they did buy a CB this summer, I hope they'd go for Maguire or, even better, Pavard, who is my favourite young CB in world football by a mile. I'm biased because I like Stuttgart a lot, but still.

But there's more pressing needs in the squad anyway, namely left back and right wing.
Yup - buying Pavard would be a smart piece of business for any team IMO.

Potential to be elite, can play CB or RB, and is still only 22.

Had some flashes in that World Cup where he reminded me of Maldini with his style of play and just how technically strong he was both going forward and defensively (of course he’s not even in the same stratosphere as Maldini was but quite frankly no one is)

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-18-2018 at 07:34 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #119
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup - buying Pavard would be a smart piece of business for any team IMO.

Potential to be elite, can play CB or RB, and is still only 22.

Had some flashes in that World Cup where he reminded me of Maldini with his style of play and just how technically strong he was both going forward and defensively (of course he’s not even in the same stratosphere as Maldini was but quite frankly no one is)
Speaking of which, looks like the team doing that is Bayern.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #120
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
I say you two actually sound quite alike with your affinity to finishing almost first.
Yuk, yuk....keep it up. Your taxes are getting more expensive with every witty quip.