Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #81
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
What's with all the you can't really go wrong at that price statements?

You can go wrong if he's a bust and causes vital points to be lost.

If Liverpool want to be serious contenders then they might want to consider signings that will take them over the top as opposed to.... meh, he's a good price dime a dozen players.
It'd be nice to buy world class players for the bench, but it just isn't always feasible. It's a good buy because it's a cut rate due to the release clause, and he's already a known quantity in the league.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #82
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Looks like Courtois is saying the same things as Hazard.

Might be a bit of a top-end talent exodus at the Bridge.

So...if Courtois (World Cup Golden Glove winner) is available.....come on Klopp, get on that!

Could be a bit awkward to jettison Mignolet for Courtois, but thats not my job....
If anyone is moving from Chelsea to Liverpool it would be Hazard. Yeah, I know he doesn’t want to go there and Chelsea isn’t selling him there, but they’re not actually buying keepers or defenders? I mean Lovren is the best in the world and Karius just put out his amazing video!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #83
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
It'd be nice to buy world class players for the bench, but it just isn't always feasible. It's a good buy because it's a cut rate due to the release clause, and he's already a known quantity in the league.
Not to mention the fact that Liverpool desperately need someone exactly like Shaqiri.

Looking at the moves Klopp is making right now along with his typical rotation policy it seems apparent to me that he wants to have almost 2 teams so that he can have his squad that he plays against lower opposition or the Caribbean Cup or whatever the hell its called now, and his primary starting XI.

Last year we had a solid starting XI but they basically had to play every game because coming off the bench was constantly injured Adam Lallana, Daniel Sturridge and Danny Ings.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #84
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
If anyone is moving from Chelsea to Liverpool it would be Hazard. Yeah, I know he doesn’t want to go there and Chelsea isn’t selling him there, but they’re not actually buying keepers or defenders? I mean Lovren is the best in the world and Karius just put out his amazing video!
Personally, while Chelsea is being raped and pillaged I'd be thrilled if we could somehow steal Kante.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #85
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of Chelsea, sound piece of business signing Jorginho and scooping City.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #86
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Speaking of Chelsea, sound piece of business signing Jorginho and scooping City.
I absolutely love how petty they are with their "money over Pep" spin again. For an oil-money driven Sheikh club, it's pretty ironic how quickly they have turned into petty snobs who think they've found the holy grail. They obviously can't deal with the fact that not every player is going to bend backwards to play for St. Pep, and this newfound morality and dismissing players who go somewhere else as greedy is pretty hilarious when you consider what they've being doing for a decade or so. Small club. At least Chelsea never pretended to be something they weren't.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #87
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liverpool have bid £62 million for Alisson. Gotta think this turns into a bidding war with Chelsea given that Courtois is almost certainly gone.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #88
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

That's an agressive bid.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #89
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll never understand soccer transfers - the market always seems so inconsistent even in the same transfer window.

Courtois (arguably the better keeper) is only worth £35 to Real Madrid but somehow Alisson is worth £62 which is pretty much double the previous record bid for a goalkeeper.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #90
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I'll never understand soccer transfers - the market always seems so inconsistent even in the same transfer window.

Courtois (arguably the better keeper) is only worth £35 to Real Madrid but somehow Alisson is worth £62 which is pretty much double the previous record bid for a goalkeeper.
Its like poker. There really is no market and each team has their own values.

Alisson is worth £62M to Liverpool because we have to pay for him, we want the player but have no leverage. The player could stay and Roma would be happy, so if he wants to go you have to blow their socks off.

Plus, with Karius and Mignolet around Roma know we're desperate. Price goes up.

Courtois is worth £35M to Real Madrid because he wants to go there and Chelsea being a tire fire at the moment and him being close to out of contract have no leverage.

Its the same as what Devo was saying about St. Pep.

City get some players because they want to play for Pep, thats a negotiating point, at the same time teams know that City are loaded with cash so the price goes up.

And then theres English teams buying English players! Theres a premium on that!

Really, unlike in hockey there arent really any standards or comparables, it really depends on the player, the manager, the teams, their Cities, their contracts and the circumstances of the moment.

Or they just use a Yahtzee cup and pay what the dice demand. Whichever works.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #91
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Contract status is usually the biggest factor, and Courtois being a FA at the end of the year leaves Chelsea with basically accept what they can get, or lose him for nothing. Alisson has several years left on his current deal, so it's gonna be a lot more expensive to pry him loose. And as we saw with City last year with Ederson vs. the year before with Bravo, goalie can mean a lot And Karius and Mignolet are much worse than Bravo ever was, so Liverpool's desperation means they can be exploited for a few dollars more.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #92
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t say this with any real confidence, but it also seems like the Premier League just has a lot of money, so they pay more. I know that there are clubs like PSG and Real that are in that boat as well, but it seems like higher prices for PL compared to “others”.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #93
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chelsea preparing a 40 million pound bid for 20 year old Brazilian mid fielder Lucas Paqueta. He should’ve made the Brazil team, he can be used as a CM or CAM as well as winger but he’s better suited for the midfield. He’s probably been the best player in the Brazilian league this season, smart and very skillful player. Many Brazilians feel he will be one of Brazil’s major players in the next World Cup

Here’s a highlight vid

https://youtu.be/Ia3q4etaz_s

Last edited by Beninho; 07-17-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:54 AM   #94
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alisson to Liverpool is apparently done for £67 million. Assuming they can get the Fekir deal done, you'd have to consider them the most likely team to dethrone City. And assuming they can get Fekir done, you'd have to think Klopp has to bring a trophy home next year or he's in trouble, can't imagine they'd wanna spend all this money to be a glorified Spurs.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:56 AM   #95
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1019229015016603650
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #96
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Alisson is done pending a medical on Saturday.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #97
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I'm glad he backed off of that stance. It's nice to think romantic like that, but at the end of the day talent wins.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:34 AM   #98
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I'm glad he backed off of that stance. It's nice to think romantic like that, but at the end of the day talent wins.
Further, to win in all of these competitions you have to have a good, deep squad and that costs money.

Its no coincidence that the teams consistently at the top of the tables are City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal....the teams that spend a ton of money.

I do think however that this is a strange off-season for Liverpool, I dont think I've ever witnessed the team splash out this much cash.

And theres still the potential of the Fekir deal going through, hes been pretty busy.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #99
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

They had the 142M from Coutinho so that helps fund some of the spending but yeah still a big offseason for Liverpool.

Should be an interesting PL season though. I don't think City will run away with it like they did last season, Liverpool is clearly deeper and a better team than last year, United hasn't made a lot of moves yet (Fred is a decent add) but think they make a splash before the deadline, Spurs should have some internal growth and they will probably go value shopping near the deadline like they usually do.

Hopefully we see a much more competitive season at the top than we did last year.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 AM   #100
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
They had the 142M from Coutinho so that helps fund some of the spending but yeah still a big offseason for Liverpool.

Should be an interesting PL season though. I don't think City will run away with it like they did last season, Liverpool is clearly deeper and a better team than last year, United hasn't made a lot of moves yet (Fred is a decent add) but think they make a splash before the deadline, Spurs should have some internal growth and they will probably go value shopping near the deadline like they usually do.

Hopefully we see a much more competitive season at the top than we did last year.
We probably will see a more competitive season at the top, while United havent made many moves they were still a pretty good team last season, their only major concerns were the number of times De Gea hauled them out of the fire and their lack of scoring, I would imagine that Lukaku will refind his form and start scoring for fun again.

Arsenal look like they're going to be a better team, although the rumours are that they might lose Cech to Chelsea.

Spurs should be more or less the same, maybe better if theres no injuries to Kane and Alli and they pay up their bribes to the 'Referees and Linesmen's Official Widows and Orphans Fund' so they get every penalty in the League.

Chelsea might be hot garbage. Thats a bit of a wildcard.