Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
fwd
Draft Pick

Default CTV hijacks SuperBowl [MRG]

Does this not bother anyone that is a SuperBowl fan?
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...3&postcount=29
fwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I'm a NFL fan, so I could care less about the comercials. The worst part about the Super Bowl is all the additional commercials.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simsubs suck, but that's the rules. CTV (or whatever Canadian carrier) wouldn't be able to sell any commercials, or would need to charge a lot less, if everyone only watched the American feed.

Do I like it? No, I would want to see the good commercials, too.
Do I understand it? Yes.

And outside of the Superbowl, it isn't the commercials that bother me about simsubs. It is when the switch doesn't go right, like when NBC does their "Supersized" episodes that go past the normal end time, but the simsub kicks in right at the normal time and cuts off the end of the show. I've also missed the end of sporting events because they ran long and the subsequent program was supposed to be simsubbed. If a station wants to substitute their signal over another stations signal they should be required to make sure it doesn't interfere with other programming.

Edit: And BBB - it is the mammoth halftime show that is the biggest issue for me. It usually sucks and to get set up, then perform, then cleaned up is an outrageous waste of time.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the commercials will be online within hours of the game ending anyway. It's not like we're living in the 80s where you'd never get to see the best ads because they got simsubbed away and never replayed.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Ronald Pagan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Amazing marketing by the NHL, the major networks and advertisers in that they have successfully sold the excitement and primary draw of the Super Bowl to be the friggin COMMERCIALS played in between the actual game.

My hat is off to them, seriously.

People complaining that they can't see commercials... wow...
Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I would like to know where you have picked up your "facts" about this post of yours. As stated in the previous thread:

- Shaw customers can watch the American ads on either HD or SD east coast feeds.
- Star Cloice customers will not be simsubbed in HD.
- Last year Bell opened seperate feeds of Fox for customers who were not in Vancouver or Toronto. There is nothing that shows they won't do this again.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, I occasionlly like to point out how people will take the opportunity to complain about ANYTHING, and this is a great example.
Seriously, it's comercials. You know, those things that for the other 365 days and 20 hours of the year, actually get in the way of your TV viewing.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Okay, I occasionlly like to point out how people will take the opportunity to complain about ANYTHING, and this is a great example.
Seriously, it's comercials. You know, those things that for the other 365 days and 20 hours of the year, actually get in the way of your TV viewing.
I actually find the commercials in the super bowl better then the game itself. (last year being the exception). Most of the drama happens in the AFC and NFC finals.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch the game online if the ads matter that much.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Guys, let's keep this thread on topic- whether or not the game will be simsubbed.

If you don't care about the Superbowl comercials- fine. But it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #11
fwd
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I would like to know where you have picked up your "facts" about this post of yours. As stated in the previous thread:

- Shaw customers can watch the American ads on either HD or SD east coast feeds.
- Star Cloice customers will not be simsubbed in HD.
- Last year Bell opened seperate feeds of Fox for customers who were not in Vancouver or Toronto. There is nothing that shows they won't do this again.
The decision from CRTC came out Dec 22/08, with which Shaw and ExpressVu must comply. http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2008/db2008-358.htm
Shaw has already started simsubbing the SD Detroit feeds since the decision, including the wildcard games this weekend.
Shaw is also simsubbing the HD Detroit feeds in the GTA and GVA (it was the CTV Vancouver General Manager who had the complaint filed to the CRTC) areas. If Calgary CTV goes HD in January, then the HD Detroit feed will be simsubbed in the GCA too.
A good explanation is at http://www.satelliteguys.us/canadian...ml#post1637684 .
fwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fwd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #12
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

Yup, they've taken over all feeds possible on Shaw. I think I wanted to shoot my brains out this weekend when it came to those Amrican Idol & Fringe adds with no dialogue.

But the commercials will all be online, but the've sucked for the past few years. I wonder how sub-par they will be this year.
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Perfect, that's what I was looking for. (I guess perhaps the fact that your original post had a link to a link that it wasn't as apparent where to follow.)

I for one am opposed to the CRTC ruling, and intend on filing an official complaint. If anybody else feels the same way, I encourage you to also file a complaint. It only took a few hundred of our complaints to keep Spike TV on the air in 2004- hopefully we can do the same here.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually, according to that link, StarChoice HD will NOT be simsubbing anywhere other than in Toronto.
Quote:
The Commission concludes that Star Choice was in compliance with its condition of licence in regard to its performing simultaneous substitution of CTV’s HD broadcast of the 2008 Super Bowl.
Since StarChoice only carries CTV-HD out of Toronto they only need to simsub their customers within reach of that station's signal. And since StarChoice does their replacement on a customer by customer basis, customers in Calgary will only ever have their service sinsubbed with Calgary stations carried on StarChoice. So even if CFCN does go HD on Jan 15, StarChoice isn't carrying it so can't replace the ABC-HD feeds with it.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 01-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

mmmmm, simsubs
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #16
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lame. I can't wait to see the Canadian Tire logo superimposed on the scoreboard every commercial break.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #17
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
mmmmm, simsubs
Homer Simsub?
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
Homer Simsub?

Booooooo-urns!
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #19
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
Booooooo-urns!
Heh, heh. It's funny 'cause it's true.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 01-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #20
Trey Wingbat
Draft Pick

So as per CRTC regulations, only markets with an HD OTA transmitter should see simsubs. But Bell TV simsubs nationally, and CTV benefits about getting additional simsubs on a regular basis. But of course, CTV doesn't complain about this.

But CTV does complain about Bell TV providing an alternate direct feed of the US station during the Superbowl, even though markets outside and Vancouver and Toronto should be seeing a non-simsubbed version. So what is it CTV? You can't have it both ways.
Trey Wingbat is offline   Reply With Quote