Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2019, 01:21 PM   #341
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Anyone check out Good Omens yet?
The book is brilliant, so scared the film will let that down.
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #342
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Anyone check out Good Omens yet?
Love the book, but like every Pratchett (and non-Bryan Fuller led Gaiman) adaptation, the reviews are saying it's mediocre at best.

Shame :/

Will crack an episode or two this weekend to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 05-31-2019 at 01:28 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:44 PM   #343
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Anyone know a good series on Netflix Canada or Amazon Prime video that can be watched with little kids around? Our 4 year old still isn't in school so doesn't have a hard bed time, he's often up a bit later with us but most recommended shows are full of some combination of language/sex/violence.
Cobra Kai is highly entertaining, and family friendly for the most part. Basically a PG-13 kinda show in terms of content. There's some violence (obviously) and occasional references to sex, etc.. But there's no nudity and nothing too racy for kids.

Only thing is you'd have to subscribe to Youtube Red to watch it, unless of course you're ok with free streaming via other means.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:54 PM   #344
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
What's funny, is that I didn't even realize at the beginning it was filmed in Calgary, let alone Canada. I thought it was was Hollywood all the way. I remember watching the very first episode, and seeing all the 'Max 30' signs in the neighborhood, and thinking 'odd... I didn't think that was the speed limit in residential areas in the USA'.

Then when the old lady with the van scene where she's looking for the stadium, she's stopped in front of the tracks and a grain elevator. I've been past that one many times when I was in the field, so I thought it looked super familiar.

Then the Queen Elizabeth part came, and I realized it was done in Calgary and area, and started googling. haha. I went to QE for Junior High, and for many of the scenes, I kept asking myself why it looked so familiar.

So cool to see Calgary and Area showcased.
I figured the show was shot around here pretty well right after the family went outside from the flora and fauna. Columnar aspen, spruce trees and lots of other half-dead trees narrowed it way down for me.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:42 PM   #345
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been paying attention to all the Chernobyl hype. I can honestly say...holy F. Everyone should watch it.

I didn't find episode 1 to live up to the hype. But I just finished episode 2. One of the best television episodes I've ever seen. Can't wait to watch more.

Spoiler!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 11:51 PM   #346
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I've been paying attention to all the Chernobyl hype. I can honestly say...holy F. Everyone should watch it.

I didn't find episode 1 to live up to the hype. But I just finished episode 2. One of the best television episodes I've ever seen. Can't wait to watch more.

Spoiler!
It gets better...but worse...but amazing.

It is....grim. But brilliant.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:18 AM   #347
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

Spoiler!
Hmm interesting. We got the kids down tonight and watched episode 1 and weren’t hugely impressed... I mean, it was fine, but a little boring and bogged down by science talk. My wife has never heard of Chernobyl either (not the show, but the actual event itself — don’t ask) so I kept having to pause and explain what was going on as they kind of just dive in to it.

But if episode 2 is that good I suppose we should keep going!
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #348
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Keep going.

It's going to be one of those series that you'll need to go back and rewatch for the subtleties.

Legasov (Jared Harris) and Shcherbina (Stellan Skarsgård) are so good, and they basically aren't in the first episode.

Also this is me in utter astonishment about someone not knowing about the Chernobyl disaster, like at all, yet not asking: Seriously? WTF?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:15 AM   #349
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Keep going.

It's going to be one of those series that you'll need to go back and rewatch for the subtleties.

Legasov (Jared Harris) and Shcherbina (Stellan Skarsgård) are so good, and they basically aren't in the first episode.
Yup. I'm 3 episodes in now, and this show is outstanding.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #350
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where an you watch Chernobyl? Is it only on HBO?
Old 06-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #351
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Where an you watch Chernobyl? Is it only on HBO?
If you have Crave you can access all previous episodes and as it airs. So the final episode should be available to stream on Monday evening.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #352
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm interesting. We got the kids down tonight and watched episode 1 and weren’t hugely impressed... I mean, it was fine, but a little boring and bogged down by science talk. My wife has never heard of Chernobyl either (not the show, but the actual event itself — don’t ask) so I kept having to pause and explain what was going on as they kind of just dive in to it.

But if episode 2 is that good I suppose we should keep going!
I feel compelled to ask how she is unaware of the existence of one of the worst disasters of the modern age.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #353
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Yup. I'm 3 episodes in now, and this show is outstanding.
No spoilers but Episode 4 stunned me.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #354
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I feel compelled to ask how she is unaware of the existence of one of the worst disasters of the modern age.
I was not surprised, she has basically no knowledge of historical events. I used to give her a hard time but she just doesn’t care lol. When she said that I gave her a little quiz, she didn’t know what D-Day or the fall of the Berlin Wall were, and only knew that Pearl Harbor had something to do with a boat sinking. It’s just how she is — doesn’t care about history so doesn’t retain any of the info about it.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:38 AM   #355
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was not surprised, she has basically no knowledge of historical events. I used to give her a hard time but she just doesn’t care lol. When she said that I gave her a little quiz, she didn’t know what D-Day or the fall of the Berlin Wall were, and only knew that Pearl Harbor had something to do with a boat sinking. It’s just how she is — doesn’t care about history so doesn’t retain any of the info about it.
I now feel compelled to ask....is your wife inflatable?

Old 06-02-2019, 12:16 PM   #356
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Coma?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #357
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I met someone a couple months ago, a 23 year old Canadian who hadn't heard of 9/11. Maybe it was an epic troll job, but the look on her face as I watched her google it led me to believe that she really had no idea.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #358
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I broke up with a woman because she didn't know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #359
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Chernobyl has been so good, it made me look for more shows with Jared Harris.

That led me to what I am watching now. The Terror. AMC Show based on a real life doomed expedition through the Northwest Passage. Also a great shows so far!
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #360
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Chernobyl has been so good, it made me look for more shows with Jared Harris.

That led me to what I am watching now. The Terror. AMC Show based on a real life doomed expedition through the Northwest Passage. Also a great shows so far!
You didnt see The Terror? Oh you're in for a treat. Great show.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: