Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #181
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
When I read this, I tried to remember the villain's name or purpose in the movie and serious can't remember anything about him other than the final fight sequence against Kirk in the center of the gravity well thing. The movie just doesn't really do much outside of good character moments between the Enterprise crew.
I quite like Beyond, but the villain is definitely the weakest element. He’s not terrible, but it just doesn’t really come together.

Lots of great character scenes and imaginative action pieces. Jaylah is one of the better ‘guest’ characters of the movie franchise and the NX class ship blasting Beastie Boys to disable the swarm ships is the highlight of the Kelvin series IMO.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #182
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Admiral Picard cameo in “Short Treks”. I am guessing these vignettes won’t only be aimed at Discovery topics now.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #183
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I need to watch Insurrection again. I remember being pretty bummed out by it, but maybe I'll be surprised this time around. I don't think I can bring myself to do the same with Nemesis. My top 5 films, based on my own enjoyment, would be:

1. The Undiscovered Country
2. The Wrath of Khan
3. The Voyage Home
4. First Contact
5. The Search for Spock

I too, have a soft spot for the badness of The Final Frontier. I would take it over Nemesis, Insurrection and TMP without hesitation. I feel like it gave us some good Kirk/Spock/McCoy moments. I also dig the soundtrack. The only Kelvin timeline movie I enjoyed was Star Trek (2009). I do, however, appreciate that those films led to this very fun era of multiple Treks at once.

Last edited by Tabaracci_31; 01-11-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #184
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If you read Shatner's books on Star Trek (And they're surprisingly good and even address how much he was hated by the rest of the cast) Star Trek V could have been far worse with more budget, including giant monsters being killed by Kirk single handed.

I always have trouble picking between UC and TWOK. letting the crew get older and at the end of their careers was inspired. Also the log that Kirk filed about never forgiving the Klingons for the death of his boy was so well done. Shatner when he wants to nail things is awesome.

I just can't watch Insurrection again, I thought it was so bad, and when Riker is flying the enterprise with a thrustmaster joystick I wanted to throw out the DVD that I had paid 30 bucks for. It was just a bad story, and badly executed. I was honestly looking forward to Nemisis and then the wedding scene happened and it just flopped from there. Even now I feel sorry for Tom Hardy, this movie almost wrecked his career because he was just bad in it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #185
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished my Voyager watch-through today. Series finale was okay, but definitely lacked a little punch. It also ends way too abruptly... like after seven seasons we could've at least used a few scenes of people reuniting with their families and what not. Instead it's just "Hooray, we made it!" The end. The show was mostly underwhelming overall, and it became pretty clear in the last couple seasons they didn't have ideas for any of the characters past Seven and the Doctor. Had it's moments though. Probably won't watch much of it ever again.

Onwards to Enterprise!
Old 01-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #186
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its sad to say that unfortunately, Star Trek goes downhill after Voyager.

"Phew! Voyager is over, time to get to the next series, cant be as bad as that!!"

*Awkward Collar Tug*

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #187
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
"Phew! Voyager is over, time to get to the next series, cant be as bad as that!!"
Star Trek writers: hold my synthehol.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #188
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its sad to say that unfortunately, Star Trek goes downhill after Voyager.

*Awkward Collar Tug*
Oh yeah I'm well aware Enterprise isn't great... but I've already watched almost 600 episodes in my quest to watch it all, I think I can make it through the 90-odd episodes it has just to say I've seen it.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #189
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The third season of Enterprise is better than any season of Voyager.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #190
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Enterprise mirror universe episode alone is better than some entire seasons of Star Trek.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #191
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
The Enterprise mirror universe episode alone is better than some entire seasons of Star Trek.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! It looked like the actors were having so much fun putting that one on.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #192
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Oh yeah I'm well aware Enterprise isn't great... but I've already watched almost 600 episodes in my quest to watch it all, I think I can make it through the 90-odd episodes it has just to say I've seen it.
Once Berman and Braga handed the showrunning over to Manny Coto near the end of season three, the series got much better. I think that it could have really ended strong if it was given the usual seven year run.

The series finale has a return of the Berman and Braga stories, with studio involvement to ruin it. Once you get to that episode, it might be worth hunting down the fan-edit of These are the Voyages.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #193
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its sad that I'd far rather watch The Orville.

That show does Trek better than Trek.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #194
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny, Voyager was really poor for me, for the most part so was enterprise even though when they got it right, they had these incredible high spots. The mirror universe two parter was amazingly good.

I'm still a fan of DS-9 but its hard to argue that its Trek because it departs from the formula when the Dominion war starts.

TNG got good as it went on but those first two and a half seasons weren't great.

Old 02-02-2020, 04:37 PM   #195
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

So outside of the US and Canada Discovery is on Netflix while Picard is on Amazon. Seriously Star Trek you are making fans buy two different streaming services to follow Trek? Screw you.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #196
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
So outside of the US and Canada Discovery is on Netflix while Picard is on Amazon. Seriously Star Trek you are making fans buy two different streaming services to follow Trek? Screw you.
If you want to watch Star Trek Discover there is a trick that can help you.

What you do is get a knife, turn on the burner on your stove, heat the knife up, when the knife is sufficiently warmed quickly jab it into your eyes.

You'll thank me later.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #197
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I thought you were about to explain how to do oil tokes off hot knives.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #198
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I thought you were about to explain how to do oil tokes off hot knives.
I am unfamiliar with your parlance.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #199
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I attempted watching Insurrection again last night. I got 10 minutes in and turned it off. Pretty lame premise for a Trek movie, IMO. Or at least the way it played out. Now that I’m into Picard, I am feeling the need to watch Nemesis again. Never thought I’d say that...

I have really dug the first two episodes of Picard. Can’t wait to see where this Romulan and Borg plot goes. I lol’d in the first episode...Picard and Dahj are running from the Romulan boogeymen.

Picard: (in broad daylight) “Let’s get out of here!”

The two of them go like 10 feet from where they were, still in plain sight, and get discovered.

Anyway, I am soaking in this very spoiled time for Trek. This is fun! I am most excited for Lower Decks. I think it’s gonna be amazing. 🖖🏼
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:09 PM   #200
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Insurrection was awful, not as awful as Nemesis, but it was drek, From Worf jokes about romulan ale and getting zits. To Riker's disturbingly smooth as a baby's bottom shave. To breaking out the emergency joystick so Riker could fly the Enterprise like an X-Wing fighter. It was just horrible and a supreme waste of F Murray as an actor.

Oh and the whole Data Picard action hour sing along, makes me turn off the movie every time now, not as bad as the dune buggy in Nemesis but still bad.