Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-02-2024, 09:46 PM   #1
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Vancouver Hotel Recommendations

Hi, all.
Here's the scenario:
Pearl Jam at Roger's, May 4th. Didn't book anything early.
Driving in, downtown hotels way too spendy at 500/night.
What's best for driving in/out of Van access, quick skytrain or uber to arena for just the one night?
300 or less.
Any good reccos?

Thanks
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:52 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you looked at the Vancouver Waldorf?

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserR..._Columbia.html

Maybe you could crash on Gala's couch?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:32 AM   #3
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez. Covid really messed up hotel prices, eh? Feel like prior to it, it was around $350 a night in downtown Vancouver, but now it's $700-$800! Would've seen that maybe in July before, but not in rainy May.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:37 AM   #4
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as suggestions go, I did a quick look and see that Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport is listed as $198 a night on Google Maps (I didn't search the site itself for May). The hotel is also a hop and a skip away from Aberdeen station. Anywhere in Richmond would be fine as the Canada Line goes right in on the Skytrain and will take you directly to Rogers Arena for the concert. Richmond will likely be your best bet due to Skytrain access, being close to the airport and excellent Chinese food (best in Canada!).
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:41 AM   #5
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like a busy weekend in Vancouver. I stayed at the Coast Coal Harbour last March and it was great. Cost me in the low 200's but I see it is certainly not that for the weekend you're looking at! Good luck!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:52 AM   #6
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I second the airport/Richmond area rec. Whenever I’m in Vancouver for pleasure that’s where I find the best “bang for your buck” and it’s super easy to get downtown.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 06:57 AM   #7
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

If downtown is too expensive try the Civic hotel in Surrey. I have stayed there before and it is nice and there are lots of amenities nearby. The train station is right beside the hotel and I don't remember exactly how long it took to get downtown but I want to say it was 20 or 25 minutes. It is probably a good option.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:06 AM   #8
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Geez. Covid really messed up hotel prices, eh?
During weekends with big concerts it goes crazy.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/e...r-2024-8336355
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:26 AM   #9
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as you’re near a train station you’d be in good shape. I’d be looking in Richmond and Burnaby before Surrey. New West may have some good ones. If it’s just for the one night airbnb may be the way.

Also the Canada Line doesn’t really take you “right to” the stadium. You’d either need to walk from one of the downtown stations (like 10 min) or transfer to the Expo line which has the stadium stop. The time difference is probably negligible. If you’re coming into DT from the east, you’ll land right at the stadium. Also more convenient to be in southern Burnaby so you don’t have to change, although North Burnaby probably has som bettter options. Metrotown area in Burnaby probably has some spots.

Last edited by Coach; 04-03-2024 at 07:30 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:46 AM   #10
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had friend travelling as a group of 6 that needed to spend 1 night in Van this winter. They spent 3 weeks searching hotels and settled on renting a house in Richmond for $1200, because it was the cheapest thing they could find by a mile.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:39 AM   #11
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Fairmont at the Airport is awesome, although it might be a bit pricey. usually when I go for work, i stay at the Sandman Signature.. away from teh crazy business but close to the airport, and it has a pool which i always go for. I stayed once at the Executive; never again. Too many rooms on the ground floor and the parking lot is right outside the rooms, so all night you hear people going/leaving or smoking and talking.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:47 AM   #12
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Have you looked at the Vancouver Waldorf?

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserR..._Columbia.html

Maybe you could crash on Gala's couch?
Couch? Man, I got a fancy folding bed now.

Easy sky train access would be at the top of my list. There are Executive Hotels in Burnaby and Coquitlam not far from stations. No idea on cost but I would think $300/night is the start. Richmond may be cheaper and it is easy access by train from downtown. No specific hotels as I have only stayed downtown and the aforementioned Executives.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:47 AM   #13
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sometimes, you can get decent deals at the Fairmont Waterfront, since everyone tends to book the Pacrim one block over. Things start to get really overpriced normally around summer.

You could always try to find a place along train lines in the suburbs for lesser cost.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:53 AM   #14
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I'm all for the sweetspot of "seems almost sketchy ... but doesn't have bed bugs" and this place seems to fit the bill and have decent prices: https://englishbayhotel.com/bluehost-ebh/index.html
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:22 AM   #15
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Couch? Man, I got a fancy folding bed now.

Easy sky train access would be at the top of my list. There are Executive Hotels in Burnaby and Coquitlam not far from stations. No idea on cost but I would think $300/night is the start. Richmond may be cheaper and it is easy access by train from downtown. No specific hotels as I have only stayed downtown and the aforementioned Executives.
And I never got invited to stay over?!?!

You should branch out and become an AirBnB. Maybe make more money than your day job at these ridiculous prices.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-03-2024, 10:34 AM   #16
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wife and I stayed at EXchange hotel a few years ago. Very new and the prices seem reasonable.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 10:38 AM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why even bother with a Hotel? Just pick up a cheap tent from Crappy Tire and put it up wherever you want.

You may need to have some blow or heroin on you if the Cops come by, if you look too clean they may not buy your story.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:21 AM   #18
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And I never got invited to stay over?!?!

You should branch out and become an AirBnB. Maybe make more money than your day job at these ridiculous prices.
My door is always open. The racoons that come in can attest to that.

With the what the rumours on prices for Taylor Swift a World Cup look like I might just divide up the whole place and get $500/night per room. Won't have to work all year after that.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 11:26 AM   #19
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
My door is always open. The racoons that come in can attest to that.

With the what the rumours on prices for Taylor Swift a World Cup look like I might just divide up the whole place and get $500/night per room. Won't have to work all year after that.
You jest, but my buddy did something similar during the 2010 Olympics and used the cash to put a downpayment on a place in Toronto.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:30 AM   #20
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’ve stayed at the Hilton Metrotown a few times for work. It’s $366 that weekend which isn’t terrible compared to downtown prices. Close to the train too.
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote