Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #1
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Online Mattress Companies

After doing some research, the consensus is that when it comes to foam/latex, the density is the most important spec. According to Mattress Underground, you should not buy any foam under 4lbs. They say you should avoid several of the big name brands because they are not transparent about their products.

When it comes to online companies, the site has good specs on several products, but you cannot try them in a store.

To me, all mattresses seem to feel fine in a store, so I like the idea of having one shipped to me for free to try out for 100 days, and have it returned if I don't like it.

I want to switch from coils to foam and am looking at sites like Casper. Bear, or Novosbed. They range in price from $1200-$1500 for a King.

Does anyone have any experience with buying a mattress this way?
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've always had a streak of paranoia when an online company or even a retail company has a policy like, hey man try this mattress for a 100 days and return it if you don't like it. For all I know I'm taking a swim in somebody else's sex pool.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 05:52 AM   #3
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've always had a streak of paranoia when an online company or even a retail company has a policy like, hey man try this mattress for a 100 days and return it if you don't like it. For all I know I'm taking a swim in somebody else's sex pool.
The mattress they send you won’t be used. If you return it they either donate it to a local shelter or recycle it, if possible. It costs too much to ship them back to the warehouse uncompressed.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I was in mattress retail end for close to 20 years and those returned ones were all resold so yes it is quite possible you could be swimming in someones pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #5
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Get proper education on foam first before reading in the mattress world. Most is just marketing mumbo jumbo. I was 20 years in the industry and heard it all.
Remember density is the weight of a block of foam that is 1 cubic foot. Better quality will weigh more but sometimes companies use fillers like ash or sand that makes it heavier and the foam is crappy quality but sure sounds good for weight/density.
The other even more important part is ILD of the foam. This is how firm or soft it is. Hard foam and comfort do not go together. Both are factors in a proper feeling mattress.
When educated on foam there is always 2 numbers involved and the above is why and you need both to provide the correct information. One means nothing without the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
After doing some research, the consensus is that when it comes to foam/latex, the density is the most important spec. According to Mattress Underground, you should not buy any foam under 4lbs. They say you should avoid several of the big name brands because they are not transparent about their products.

When it comes to online companies, the site has good specs on several products, but you cannot try them in a store.

To me, all mattresses seem to feel fine in a store, so I like the idea of having one shipped to me for free to try out for 100 days, and have it returned if I don't like it.

I want to switch from coils to foam and am looking at sites like Casper. Bear, or Novosbed. They range in price from $1200-$1500 for a King.

Does anyone have any experience with buying a mattress this way?
Old 07-14-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

We just got a new mattress earlier this year, examined the online options versus Sleep Boutique in Calgary. We were sold once we went down to the store and saw the difference between their product and other mattresses.

One word of caution no matter what you end up doing, 99% of online mattress reviewers operate off of kickbacks and referrals.
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:25 AM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I was in mattress retail end for close to 20 years and those returned ones were all resold so yes it is quite possible you could be swimming in someones pool.
Can you tell us what the actual markup on a mattress is? We got ours at 55% off, and they seem to have these sales often so I'm guessing real markup is around 70%?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #8
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have had a carpet mattress for a couple years and we love it. The mattress is comfortable and the buying/shipping process was easy. What else do you want, really? I will certainly be going back to Casper if I need a new mattress.

Feel free to pm me if you need a referral code
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #9
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for Casper. Seemed overly firm at first but we quickly grew to like it.

A small downside we didn't consider is what to do with the old mattress. Kind of a pain when they don't take it away.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #10
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

we went with Essentia. We've been happy with it. I liked they have a showroom in Calgary so I could try it.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

We went with Endy just last week. Skeptical at first with the online buying but a few friends have recommended the bed. Haven't had any problems sleeping or pain at all.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #12
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Best Foam Mattress you can buy online as reviewed by The Sweethome (The Wirecutter).

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best...he-competition
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #13
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We bought Novosbed in the spring and we like it. Works well to accommodate the different size/weight of my wife and I.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought an Endy about a year ago. Aside from the initial smell (the foam) that lasts a couple days, we've been really happy with it. That said, mattresses, firmness and comfort is so personal - while we love it, I imagine someone else will hate it. We do prefer it over other other traditional mattresses in our house that cost 4-5x more.

I would buy it again.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #15
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

We bought an Endy about two months ago after our third Sealy developed major groves in 5 years. So far so good.

It's also nice to not be 12 feet in the air but its difficult to find sheets that aren't for 2 foot thick mattresses.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:57 AM   #16
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've bought Novosbed before. Anytime you buy, I think there's a referral code that is generated that can be used to allow a new buyer to get a discount.

I like the Novosbed and I have bought twice. One is at 3 years and the most comfy of the two and the other is a year and took about 3-4 months to reach the same range of softness as the first one. I have been curious about Casper. For Novosbed, I did get a mattress that felt too stiff. To "fix" this, they sent a foam topper. After a few months, we removed the topper and the memory foam below was soft enough for my wife and I.

Is Novosbed the best memory foam? I wouldn't say that. But I did feel their value was superior to many mattress store options. I also liked the mattress shipped to me vs me waiting forever for someone to deliver the mattress.

Airing out a bed in a box memory foam takes about 6-8 hours IIRC. It reabsorbs air into the foam that was squeezed out for shipping. There is chemical smell which dissipates within a week and is mostly gone within about 24-72 hours depending how sensitive your nose is.

Random: I started buying water proof mattress protectors. The mattress still looks great after 3 years. I put a fitted cover over the mattress protector and I don't even really feel it.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #17
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a Leesa and its great.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #18
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It can vary deending on retailer. Places like Bay and Sears 50 to 55 off just put you in normal range. Others are more reasonable to start and is why the discount is generally not as much. There is no msrp in the industry so they can tell you whatever they want is regular price then put a massive discount sale. Buyer beware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Can you tell us what the actual markup on a mattress is? We got ours at 55% off, and they seem to have these sales often so I'm guessing real markup is around 70%?
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygringo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #19
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

i really like a soft mattress, will any foam work for me?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #20
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Somewhat related to foam mattresses: we bought a Tempur-Pedic from Sleep Country 4 years ago. For the first year it was great. Now I can't sleep any longer than 6 hours on it. Longer than 6 and I ache all over. Back hurts. It sucks. It's hot. Doesn't breath. Just terrible.

Totally regret getting a Tempur-Pedic.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote