Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #41
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was expecting the season 2 dvd's to start arriving from netflix on Dec 20th. They were in my queue with a dec 20 release date. They have since disappeared from my queue and have a release date as "unknown". I wonder what is up.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #42
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu
I was expecting the season 2 dvd's to start arriving from netflix on Dec 20th. They were in my queue with a dec 20 release date. They have since disappeared from my queue and have a release date as "unknown". I wonder what is up.
I know that Amazon.ca has removed them from sale.

I know that my order at Amazon.com, for shipment to Canada, is still in the que and I expect them to be shipped Dec. 20.

Basically, you can't buy them from a Canadian distributor, probably after pressure from Space Channel.

Did I hit a bingo with your situation?

Cowperson
Old 12-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #43
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson
I know that Amazon.ca has removed them from sale.

I know that my order at Amazon.com, for shipment to Canada, is still in the que and I expect them to be shipped Dec. 20.

Basically, you can't buy them from a Canadian distributor, probably after pressure from Space Channel.

Did I hit a bingo with your situation?

Cowperson
Nope! I am in the US, and Netflix is American based. I am thinking they may have pulled them from the rental places, to get more people to buy them. If that is the case, it is a gamble on their part. Without a rental option, I am on the fence as to whether I'll download them for free or buy them. I anticipate that when the dvd's hit the street, there will be dvd quality pirate versions out there, so I may just lean that way!
Old 12-13-2005, 08:47 AM   #44
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone in Canada who is a BSG fan (as I most definatly am) downloaded the movies of BT already and already purchased the DVD from Amazon.com.

Damn space and their cheapness. If they would have just shelled out some more coin I would have actually watched them on Space and not through BT. I am still going to watch them but Space has definately lost out on this.

They need to add a hottie Brunette the the show though, the Blondes just dont cut it form me, althought the deck officer is damn cute.

MYK
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #45
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be super geeky, I am just waiting for something in better quality. I could have watched on Sci-Fi as I live in the US. But the show just looks disappointing in SD. Since it is only being shown in SD right now, there are no HD or DVD ripped torrents out there either. Universal HD showed season 1 in HD, I am not sure why they aren't this year. Oh well, DVD will have to suffice.

I wonder why they are making it so hard to watch this show???
Old 12-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #46
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu

I wonder why they are making it so hard to watch this show???
In Canada, it would be hard to imagine them going further out of their way to kill rabid enthusiasm for this show. . . . . but its the same in the UK and Australia I believe.

In January, however, they'll start, I think, on 20 straight episodes of Season 2 which will take you right into the summer.

Cowperson
Old 01-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #47
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

(Non spoiler)
So who's up with the show? I've seen up to episode 212 going by the episode guide on their website.
I just wanna talk about it. It's such a good series and no signs of weakening. Cow Person have you been able to catch up with it?
Highlight the following to discuss if you are up to date:
I love the whole support ship filled with cylons that they use to regenerate. The Admiral Kane resolution was awsome and so tense when the dual assasination plots were running. Anyone think that Apollo had a cylon "soul"; for want of a better term, enter him after he died in the ejection seat nearby the resurection ship as it was being destroyed?
Can't wait for each show!!!
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #48
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I totally agree! Episodes 10 thru 12 had me on the edge of my seat. Great storytelling, great acting.
**SPOILERS BELOW** - highlight to read

Michelle Forbes was really good as Kane. Disappointed that she died since she was a great force or counterbalance to Adama.
Thats an interesting theory on Apollo.
I wonder if any other cylon sleeper agents in the fleet were suddenly alerted to the distruction of the resurection ship the way Gina and Boomer knew the ship was destroyed. Is that why Duala was acting weird at the end?
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:34 AM   #49
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

I've got the DVD up to Episode 10 of season 2.0 but haven't seen episodes 11 or 12 of season 2.5 like yourselves. Stupid Space Channel. They're just starting to show Season 2.0 in Canada. They also put it up against HNIC on Saturday nights.

FYI - this was in The National Review in America yesterday (safe to read if you're worried about spoilers):

http://www.nationalreview.com/commen...0601200838.asp

And Katee Sackhoff hates cigars.

http://www.dailyastorian.info/main.a...74&TM=42638.48

Cowperson
Old 01-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #50
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing that Space started season 2 last week reminded me I got behind in my watching. I've watched up to S2Ep4, how far are they released on BT, and anyone have a good torrent?(PM me)
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #51
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead
Seeing that Space started season 2 last week reminded me I got behind in my watching. I've watched up to S2Ep4, how far are they released on BT, and anyone have a good torrent?(PM me)
I've somehow watched up to season 2, episode 12, however soliciting links to copyright material, even by PM, in a no-no on this board and is grounds for Moderator finger shaking and possibly temporary bannination.

Don't make Kevan Guy angry. You won't like him when he's angry.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #52
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

It actually sounds as if some of my Ralph money is going to go towards getting my hands on a copy of the miniseries and season 1. Might just try and rent the mini from the nearby Blockbuster though.
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:47 AM   #53
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

After watching E13 highlight below and tell me if you had the same thought during this scene

President Adar and Roslin = President Clinton and Lewinsky
she was even wearing a purple dress! Hilarious!
Old 03-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #54
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Chicago Tribune today says the Season 2.5 Battlestar Galactica finale is outstanding.

There are some mind-bending plot twists in “Lay Down Your Burdens, Part 1 and Part 2” (the second installment airs March 10), but what’s most impressive about both episodes is how they gracefully manage to convey a sense of elegiac foreboding. The direction, the cinematography, the empathic and original music, the acting and the stories all combine to create a kind of suspenseful poetry, and make the case that, right now, “Battlestar Galactica” is the best show on television.

To top all that off, the revelations that unfold at the end of the 90-minute March 10 episode are truly out of this world.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....star_ends.html

Canadian fans watching Space, of course, are about 13 weeks away from the season finale so I made a point of not reading to deep into this!!!

Thought those watching in the USA or "other" sources might find it interesting though, hence this post.

Cowperson
Old 03-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #55
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Ohhh yeah! I frequently expect dissapointment in my life. Such is the lot of a long suffering Flames fan. But every friday I can go home, turn on BSG, and honestly say every episode is better than the last.

(don't worry, no spoilers ahead) Season 2 has totally blown my mind. From the Pegasus to the darker direction for Lee Adama, to Xena Warrior Cylon, I have loved every minute of it.

About the only thing I don't like that the BSG folks have done so far was release the first 10 episodes of season 2 on DVD. Nothing but a cash grab, and I hear the extra features are pretty thin. I'll be waiting for the full set of season 2.

It never ceases to amaze me how you build up expectations for a certain type of episode (In space, on the Galactica) with certain characters (Starbuck, Adama, Apollo), and all of a sudden they slip in an episode that occurs on Caprica from a Cylon perspective without any main characters. And yet, you still fall in love with the protagonists over the course of the episode.

Question - When #6 said there were 12 models of Cylon, do you think it was including the mechanical units? The raiders? Perhaps even the base stars?

Supposing that it was referring to the "human like" models, how many are we up to now? I count 6 (although I won't name them) "outted" in 2 seasons + the miniseries. At the current rate they are going through them, it won't be long before the viewer has a handle on who is a toaster and who isn't.

Then again, maybe #6 was lying.

Or they have more models now.

Or Baltar misunderstood it.

I hope they hold off the reveal until the final episode. Keep the audience guessing as long as possible. I suppose at the end of the day, that is what I really love about the show. You just don't know what is going to happen. Main characters die. Allegences shift. Settings change.

A revolution in sci fi.

So say we all.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #56
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

In Canada, Xena's (Lucy Lawless) episode is up next I believe . . . .

Regarding the Cylon's, I think there is the pure mechanical variety, the half mechanical/half organic variety (the raiders) and then the 12 models which look and act human.

Cowperson
Old 03-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #57
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint

Question - When #6 said there were 12 models of Cylon, do you think it was including the mechanical units? The raiders? Perhaps even the base stars?

Supposing that it was referring to the "human like" models, how many are we up to now? I count 6 (although I won't name them) "outted" in 2 seasons + the miniseries. At the current rate they are going through them, it won't be long before the viewer has a handle on who is a toaster and who isn't.
I was wondering about the same thing. I'm assuming they mean the human-like ones and I'm also assuming there are twelve of them, until I hear otherwise. I also count six -- three male and three female.
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #58
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson
Thought those watching in the USA or "other" sources might find it interesting though, hence this post.
Cowperson
You better believe I'm interested! I'm currently on 17 and have 18 to watch.
They have all been great. Some focusing on the bigger picture some more close up to fleet life or politics.
Can't wait for that double epi!
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #59
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched 19, and I have to say that this show is so much better when Starbuck isn't on screen. She's just such an uninteresting character IMO, and manages to annoy me constantly.

Hopefully the season ender lives up to the hype, because the penultimate episode wasn't as good as some of the other recent episodes (18 was very, very good IMO).

For one thing, Racetrack comes across a pretty big discovery and (much to my dismay) is completely underwhelming in her response.

And as for the Ep. 19 cliffhanger (spoiler-hiding Invisotext on) -- It's poor, unimaginitive writing for them to show up on Caprica, just happen to run into all of the refugees in the middle of the woods, who just happen to be being chased by Cylons, who pin the whole lot of them down. . . . until next week.

Last edited by Mike F; 03-04-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:33 AM   #60
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F
Just watched 19, and I have to say that this show is so much better when Starbuck isn't on screen. She's just such an uninteresting character IMO, and manages to annoy me constantly.
Agree and disagree. She's a developing character with emerging depth. I think she is very important to the plot, for reasons other than the obvious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F
Hopefully the season ender lives up to the hype, because the penultimate episode wasn't as good as some of the other recent episodes (18 was very, very good IMO).
18 was insane!, 19 wasn't as good, but had countless juicy nuggets. It was the lit fuse before the explosion in the final ep.