Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #41
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Had some roti and jerk chicken at Joyce's in Bridgeland. This place is a once a month staple for our office lunch crew. Sooooo good.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #42
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluck View Post
I used to go there all the time but the place has gone downhill in a big way. Not only does it take like 40 minutes to get your food because she refuses to hire help, the quality of food has gone down a lot as well. The butter chicken has a tomato soup taste to it in my opinion and the prices for the food are no where near worth it for the amount you get. My opinion of course...
I think you may have just had a unlucky experience or something. I go there once every week or so, and the food is as good as ever IMHO. Maybe give her another shot. And if there is something wrong, tell Rose, she would gladly accept the criticism and fix it.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #43
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jackie's Thai in the food court of Eau Claire Market. Outstanding. Cheap, delicious and good portions.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #44
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Kanpai in the Beltline, good and pretty decently priced
Indeed - a great addition to the sushi situation in Beltline.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #45
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
ummm 1 block away you have the best korean rest in calgary. Don day. Pork bone soup for the win... yumyum

not only that it's feels like you are in korea when you walk in.
There's 2 good ones. I assume the one you're talking about is Dong Dae, which has the wood paneling. The one beside it is Manrijangsung. That one has really good doppoki. Either way they're both filled with Koreans all the time, so they're obviously doing something right.

Edit: My reading comprehension sucks. I see you named the first place already hahah.

Last edited by Teh_Bandwagoner; 07-04-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Teh_Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #46
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I avoid Korean food because each time I've tried it they slap a fried egg on top of my food. Barf.

What can I order without getting the fried egg?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #47
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I avoid Korean food because each time I've tried it they slap a fried egg on top of my food. Barf.

What can I order without getting the fried egg?
I think the only thing they usually slap on a fried egg is the stone pot rice. If you want to play it safe, do Korean BBQ. Bulgogi sauce is the best marinade in the world. Ever.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #48
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Went to Long Dong John's and the shark fin soup is exquisite.
Anyone eating shark fin soup should have their arms and legs cut off and thrown back into the street to see how they do.

Disgusting.
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #49
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnski View Post
Anyone eating shark fin soup should have their arms and legs cut off and thrown back into the street to see how they do.

Disgusting.
*WOOOOOOOOOSH*

I tried the neighbourhood roast beef shop the other day. I believe the cheese they use was direct from France. Anyone heard of these guys?

krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #50
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tropical Delight on 12th just south of McKnight in the NE.

Try the Laksa noodles. Delicious!! They also serve Roti and some other Malaysian dishes. I am like a crack addict there for the past few months. For those that like the creamy pho sate, you will probably really like laksa.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #51
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
*WOOOOOOOOOSH*
Please, I got the "joke". The issue, however, is not.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #52
Rifleman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well I tried Olive Chicken today. It is as good as people say, and then some! After wolfing down 5 pieces, I could've gone for another five! I wish Korean girls tasted this good!

Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #53
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had the Pork Bulgogi at Sura Korean restaurant last night.... Daaaaamn so good. No fried egg either.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #54
Spinoff90
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Have not ate anything all that different lately. My friend from Chicago did send me some Power Berries from Trader Joes though a few weeks ago and now I am going to be hooked on those. Tried the Brookside ones that have had a lot of commercials lately but they didn't come close. Hate when my friend sends something like that which isn't readily available here and I get hooked on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnski View Post
Please, I got the "joke". The issue, however, is not.
I don't know why people consider some things like that worse than other stuff like slaughter houses. Killing animals for food is killing animals for food. So the way I see it you either totally oppose it and avoid all kinds of meat or you eat meat. There is no middle ground of a slaughter house for cows being fine and shark finning being evil if you want to be against that kind of stuff IMO. If anything the sharks have it better than the cows because they are not jammed into tiny little pens with barely any room to move before they get killed.

It also makes no sense for people to take issue with the rest of the shark being dumped back in the ocean. Just makes them hypocrites really IMO. They consider it a waste but to me that just means all they can wrap their heads around themselves is human use of an animal instead of no use for it. Can't focus on the fact that it provides a meal for other sea life including sharks.

The other thing you have to keep in mind when you watch those shock videos is you are seeing the worst cases of it and not how it is always done. Just like you can search on YouTube and find a guy stomping on the head of a calf until it dies for veal among many other extreme examples. Or a country like India where for religious reasons there is conflict over cows which are sacred to some and food for others. So that has resulted in some pretty brutal demonstrations.

So like I said there is no middle ground IMO. There are cruel ways it is done to other animals too and not just sharks so if you eat a burger and oppose shark fin soup it makes no sense. Plus if you truly have an issue with animals being killed for food it shouldn't matter how it is done. You just shouldn't like it period. Wouldn't see somebody saying one human murder is worse than another because of how the murder was handled.

The only thing stupid about it is that the shark fin doesn't add any flavor to the soup. But it is a cultural thing and should be respected all the same as any other cultural thing that might not make sense to other cultures.

That being said I am allergic to seafood but not a vegetarian so I need to go try some of that roast beef and cheese imported from France

EDIT: And yes I realize that is probably the oddest post a non-vegetarian has ever made when I didn't exactly paint a positive picture on any kind of animal slaughter. But I don't function well without some beef in my life.

Last edited by Spinoff90; 07-05-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Spinoff90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #55
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treat yourself and make this dressing:
http://www.canadianliving.com/food/glory_bowl.php

It's from a chef in the Kootenays and the dressing is one of the best ever. I 've been eating it on salads, raw veg, and meat all week.

Holy crap...

PS: I cook a lot, of all cuisines, and this is a huge stand out
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:38 AM   #56
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoff90 View Post
<snip>
That is almost completely a load of crap. The only thing you pointed out that is on target it that the fin itself is tasteless, which makes this whole thing even worse.

Unbelievably cruel practice, extremely wasteful and is dangerous to the whole ecosystem. You cannot compare this to cattle. Not one bit.

Here is Gordon Ramsay's Shark Bait video, which is pretty straight forward look into the business. And changes the minds of many Chinese restaurant owners in the end.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shawnski For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #57
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tried 5 Guys Burgers and Fries for the first time yesterday.

Stopped at the one in Deerfoot Meadows or whatever it's called, where IKEA is. Was pretty impressed. Huge delicious burger made with whatever toppings you want. Wife and I shared a medium fry and and drink. Got the drink for free cuz the cashier girl felt guilty about making us "wait" when she disappeared into the back for about 30 seconds after helping the customer in front of us. It was no big deal, but that was pretty cool customer service.
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #58
jofillips
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

went to Pho Van Vietnamese place in country hills the other day - their beef noodle mix looked stunning (sorry don't know the proper name) but the rest was just 'meh', I think we were given what they wanted not what we ordered.
One had a thin pork chop with the obligatory fried egg plopped on top of rice - oh and I love the anger of the service in these places when you ask for a fork...I seem to have the worst luck with Vietnamese food, everytime I find it has no flavour and leaves me wondering what people really eat in Vietnam.

oh and i'll back the guy who mentioned the Indonesian restaurant on 17th Ave SE - had the place to ourselves but felt we were eating real malay/Indonesian food, so much flavour and such a warm woman running the place.
jofillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #59
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read a recent Herald online article about some restaurants - one mentioned was Boxwood/Boxwood Cafe? Anyone been there?
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #60
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Read a recent Herald online article about some restaurants - one mentioned was Boxwood/Boxwood Cafe? Anyone been there?
Nice patio, good eatin'.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: