Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #21
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
Where is that place located?
Corner of Windsor and Almon
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
DatSOOKin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Had Tre Viet today during my lunch break. I enjoyed it as much as I enjoy Oriental Phoenix, and that's saying something!
I had the Vermicelli with shrimp, beef and pork, it was delicious. It's pretty cheap too.
DatSOOKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Oh man, there is this place across the street from me in Chaparral called Itoko Sushi. It's crazy good. If all you know about sushi is Cali and Dynamite rolls and those little bits with salmon and shrimp, you gotta go to this place and try some real stuff. The guy is an artist here! Crazy good.

Not sure why they thought a sushi restaurant would fly in Chaparral, but I sure hope it sticks around. Best sushi I've had in the city, really!
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #24
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm eating a cold piece of one of them $5 Little Caesars pizzas right now.
It's "good"
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

My girlfriend and I have been really digging the prosciutto pizza at Una on 17th lately. They also have awesome scallops, shrimps and meatballs. Be prepared to wait on a weekend evening though. If you have more than 2 people in your group, the waits can get as long as 2 hours starting around 8 pm.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Any of you northwest dwellers need to go get some butter chicken, somosas and nan bread Saffron East Indian takeout. That little place has the best East Indian food in town, and the prices are insanely good, as they don't have the overhead of a sit down restaurant. And Rose the owner is such a sweet heart that genuinely cares that you are happy.

Right in Dalbrent plaza across from Churchill.

You're welcome.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #27
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is ever in Red Deer try Rueon Thai Restaurant (east side of Save On Foods on 67th street). I was never a Thai food fan, mostly because I never really tried it. But the food at this place is amazing. I eat there at least once a week. Like I said before I don't know much about Thai food, however I see and hear people raving about it when I'm there. I crave the Speacial Khao Pad, fried rice with shrimp, chicken, pork, eggs, Thai spices, onions, red & green peppers & sweet basil. Yum!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #28
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Indonesian Kitchen on 17th Ave SE. Very good.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #29
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Best fried chicken is Olive Chicken. Koreans are the best at making it. Get the lunch special.

Edit: The poutine is redic as well. Again Koreans make dynamite Poutine.

Oh and for Korean go to Anju. It isn't really Korean but Korean American and is the best. My wife is Korean it is both our favorite.

Last edited by OldDutch; 07-01-2013 at 07:29 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #30
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've been told that Olive Chicken is beat ever so slightly by Yum Yum Chicken in Airdrie. The guy will make it once it's been ordered and boy is it worth the wait.

+1 for Anju
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #31
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Any of you northwest dwellers need to go get some butter chicken, somosas and nan bread Saffron East Indian takeout. That little place has the best East Indian food in town, and the prices are insanely good, as they don't have the overhead of a sit down restaurant. And Rose the owner is such a sweet heart that genuinely cares that you are happy.

You're welcome.
The owner/operator is a delightful person.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #32
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Best fried chicken is Olive Chicken. Koreans are the best at making it. Get the lunch special.

Edit: The poutine is redic as well. Again Koreans make dynamite Poutine.

Oh and for Korean go to Anju. It isn't really Korean but Korean American and is the best. My wife is Korean it is both our favorite.
If you haven't tried Anju out before, you're out of luck because Anju has closed and will be relocating to a new location sometime in the next year or so.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #33
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

There's a small Korean cafe on the corner of 7th Ave & 10th St that's called Kangnam Station and it's excellent. The spicy pork and curry chicken stone grill plates are awesome
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #34
bluck
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post

You're welcome.
I used to go there all the time but the place has gone downhill in a big way. Not only does it take like 40 minutes to get your food because she refuses to hire help, the quality of food has gone down a lot as well. The butter chicken has a tomato soup taste to it in my opinion and the prices for the food are no where near worth it for the amount you get. My opinion of course...
bluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #35
Rifleman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I tried this place a few days ago:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/15280...oonful-Calgary

It's called Spoonful and it's along the main strip of shops in Bowness.

I went in there wanting to have some Thai food. They are HKers trying to make Thai food, and are, IMO, generally unsuccessful at it. However....

Their Korean Beef stir fry was one of the best I've ever had! You order one or two $2 bowl of coconut rice to go with it and you have at least 2 or 3 meals of pure bliss! It's not Bulgogi but it is delicious.

In short, I think if you stick to the Chinese dishes, they can probably make something spectacular, hence their awesome reviews there. I think I'd like to go back and try their other Chinese menu items. The portions there are a bit larger than average too.

Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #36
Rifleman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
My girlfriend and I have been really digging the prosciutto pizza at Una on 17th lately. They also have awesome scallops, shrimps and meatballs. Be prepared to wait on a weekend evening though. If you have more than 2 people in your group, the waits can get as long as 2 hours starting around 8 pm.
Yeah, I hate the waiting times at Una. I've learned to bring something to do while sitting at their bar.

I find if you order the typical pizzas you can get anywhere else like ones topped with pepperoni, bacon, green peppers, etc. that it is pretty good, but where they shine is in making unusual pizzas like the ones you listed.

Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #37
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
There's a small Korean cafe on the corner of 7th Ave & 10th St that's called Kangnam Station and it's excellent. The spicy pork and curry chicken stone grill plates are awesome
ummm 1 block away you have the best korean rest in calgary. Don day. Pork bone soup for the win... yumyum

not only that it's feels like you are in korea when you walk in.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #38
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For anyone in the SW (Evergreen-Bridlewood-Sommerset) I highly recommend the chicken shawarma at Donair Grill at the end of 162nd ave by Bull and Finch.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #39
Rudee
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Girlfriend brought home a box of Magnum Ice Cream bars. Double Chocolate. I kid you not, they are like crack. I'm not a huge eater of sweets, but I tried one, then could not resist having another... An hour after that I ate the 3rd and last one. (only 3 in a box) Yes, I ate three gourmet ice cream bars in one evening! Girlfriend didn't even get a chance to try one. Now I have to make a trip to the grocery store to replace them before my Gal finds out how much of a pig I am. But seriously folks...try them. They are that good!!

Last edited by Rudee; 07-04-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Rudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #40
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
ummm 1 block away you have the best korean rest in calgary. Don day. Pork bone soup for the win... yumyum

not only that it's feels like you are in korea when you walk in.
I've never been in there, but I see it all the time on my commute and just thought it was a front for a drug ring or something. I did notice a new sign though, made it look a bit more reputable.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote