Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Mayor Nenshi Documentary on Sunday at 8pm on Omni

Should be pretty interesting to see the footage at the beginning of the campaign when he was a distant 3rd. I didn't even consider him as my vote until 2 weeks before the election and by the end of the election I had convinced over 25-30 friends, family and coworkers to vote for him.

The Nenshi film takes viewers behind the scenes during the October 2010 mayoral campaign, and into the beginning of his first term.
"We had amazing access as we documented this dramatic adventure in politics. It's a fascinating inside look at an amazing underdog story."
Nenshi won the 2010 campaign with nearly 40 per cent of the vote, beating former alderman Ric McIver and television anchorwoman Barb Higgins.
"At the beginning of the campaign, I was like most people in Calgary; I didn't know Naheed Nenshi. He was just one of many candidates in the race. I thought it was a two-person race.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...695/story.html
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Ah fack. Its a Larry Day production. Next!
hahaha. I think he is getting better at this. He did the Theo Fleury documentary on HBO.

I have always wanted to know what happened to Kerrie Penny from the Movie Show back in the 90s.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's too bad they didn't start further back when he was canned as a prof at the U of C.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crazy_eoj For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ah fack its about Nenshi, next.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know how much you'll see from the early stages because it says in the article Day only meet him a week before the election? I agree it will probably be interesting though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The last Larry Day production I watched was the Theo Fleury documentary.

I assume this one has less swearing, smoking, and stories about visiting strip clubs and crack houses than that one.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hear their is an extra scene where he is thinking of adopting Bertuzzied's plan of toll boothing those parasite communities! Don't leave your seat until the end!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll record it, I'm starting to look back on that run in 2010 like the Flames in '04. Except we won (yes I know the puck was in... ).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

QHat channel is omni on Shaw?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
qhat channel is omni on shaw?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Booo it's only 50 minutes long?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Much of this was fairly excruciating to watch. McCourt and Bell contributed nothing but unbridled egomania - embarrassing actually. Day should have taken a pass on using his talking head buddies in the media and got more pithy comments from that slaphead McIvor. Still, Nenshi's story is a compelling one. To be a political unknown (1% in the first poll of the campaign IIRC) to taking the big prize on election day is a fairly amazing feat.
Free Ben Hur! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Free Ben Hur! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

agreed, watching Bell was ridiculous, that guy is like a cartoon character and not only were his mannerisms distracting and annoying but his commentary was equally inept and lacked substance.

Nenshi's victory was interesting and I honestly didn't know his rise in popularity happened that quickly. But looking back, that's really all the documentary is about (plus the airport victory in city hall). This latter part was awesome and I was hoping for more things like that.

I think people are less interested in politics because of elections treated like a sporting event and more interested in actual policies and platforms and what actually has been executed to date with him in office as we're rounding the corner on 2 years. I know I am awful at figuring out what elected officials actually do and therefore I'm disappointed this program didn't focus on these things allowing me to continue to be lazy but be semi-informed and lazy.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i watched part f this and my two thoughts were:

1. i wonder what nenshi's mix of advertising (social media v. traditional) will be when he runs for re-election

2. i wonder if others have copied his approach yet, and, f so, how much success did they have?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I think people are less interested in politics because of elections treated like a sporting event and more interested in actual policies and platforms and what actually has been executed to date with him in office as we're rounding the corner on 2 years. I know I am awful at figuring out what elected officials actually do and therefore I'm disappointed this program didn't focus on these things allowing me to continue to be lazy but be semi-informed and lazy.
That's the part that I'm starting to wonder about as well actually. I voted for Nenshi and if the election was today I would likely do the same and put up a sign and all that.

I actually don't think that the city has done much over the past two years though. I guess he got the airport tunnel through....which I am basically ambivalent about. Otherwise there isn't much of a record that I can get excited about.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He played hardball with the city police.

That, in and of itself, is pretty progressive.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #17
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

The weirdest thing about the doc is Carter. You get the sense that he was running a very different campaign than everyone else on the team (e.g. calls the idea that we had the best candidate a "myth", says the campaign was about branding not ideas - ideas were central to the campaign - etc.).
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know if this will be re-broadcast anywhere? On second thought, I'm not sure if I really need to go out of my way to see it. Bell, McCourt, and Day? All at once? Even though I like Nenshi, I'm not sure if that's enough to offset that trio.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #19
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Anyone know if this will be re-broadcast anywhere? On second thought, I'm not sure if I really need to go out of my way to see it. Bell, McCourt, and Day? All at once? Even though I like Nenshi, I'm not sure if that's enough to offset that trio.
It's still worth the watch. But yeah, Bell was ridiculously over the top. At one point, he was making fun of voters or something, and starting using this girly, squeeky voice to mock them, and he seriously went on for over a minute doing it. It's hard to explain, but if you watch it, you'll statt cringing when he does it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
It's still worth the watch. But yeah, Bell was ridiculously over the top. At one point, he was making fun of voters or something, and starting using this girly, squeeky voice to mock them, and he seriously went on for over a minute doing it. It's hard to explain, but if you watch it, you'll statt cringing when he does it.
I'm sure everyone who's ever read a Rick Bell article already understands.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post: