Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2020, 10:24 AM   #61
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Anyone sleeping on a silk and snow mattress?

Yep, we've had a S&S now for probably a year and a half and its been amazing. I can't compare it to any others because I never tried any others. What I do know is that when we travel we are always looking forward to and really enjoy being back in our own bed! That mattress and Casper pillows

edit: just saw the other questions. Definitely mid high firm, but in a forgiving way. Once you warm it up a bit it just shapes to you. It feels almost neutral. Its not too hot, it doesn't feel any hotter than a fluffy pillow top mattress it seems

Last edited by Aleks; 01-06-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #62
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question for those who use memory foam mattresses and consider them kinda warm, my wife and I use a water proof covering as its saved our butts a ton of times ranging from spilling drinks, little guy having an accident etc. But we did notice that the mattress is warmer with than without due to poorer air flow. We discovered we could slightly counteract this by tinkering with blankets. We sorta just discovered it by accident in the autumn/spring swapping back and forth between the light summer blankets and thicker winter duvets and realizing we had blankets way too warm for the home temperatures. Once we "downgraded" some of our blankets and adjusted the night time temperatures, our comfort levels went up. Far less waking up at night doused in sweat.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #63
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Silk and Snow has a really good waterproof cover that works well for us. Never tried without it, but with it it didn't seem to trap excess heat. And it's not really plastic feeling.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #64
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, another relevant question --

I have a heavy blanket, that I love. Are there any heavy blanket- Air Conditioned/Cooling type that you folks would suggest?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #65
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #66
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I mean, you could see that the reviews were curated all over the place. The saving grace of it all is that you can buy it, say you don't like it, and they donate the mattress (and pick it up) and you move on to something else, really no risk at all. You essentially could just rotate around all the companies and sleep for free for many years. The profit margins of these companies is massive, they all want that sweet dough and foam is really inexpensive, especially when they're charging $1g for the mattresses...They can cut those losses with no sweat.

When I was shopping around for mine, I used the foam composition reports to help make my decision (the densities and thickness of the respective layers), based on how I wanted a mattress to feel. I was really worried when I first unpacked it and laid on it, in regards to it being too firm, but that went away within a few nights no issues. Reviews are all quack. That being said I think RFD forums do a decent job of making sure the shills are kept at bay and they have a large discussion about MIB companies.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:39 PM   #67
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Regarding all the BS mattress reviews out there, one site I ran across while looking into pillows a while back was this one...

https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

They seem to go out of their way to claim ...

"No Commission From Sleep Product Companies Or Retailers"
"No product endorsements"
"Independent from advertisers"
"Ratings based on 391,000 consumer experiences"
Our mission: "To be a true consumer advocate, not a marketing tool of sleep product companies masquerading as one."

At the very least, they have some pretty good tools for helping with narrowing down some starting points for a mattress or pillow, based on a variety of factors.

https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-selector.html

Budget
Firmness
Mattress Type
Support
Conforming Ability
Bounce
Edge Support
Heat Retention
Thickness

-

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:22 AM   #68
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Love the video and as formerly working in the industry for the largest firm for almost 20 years I can say a lot of what was in the video is truth.
The mattress world is a lot about promotion and smoke and mirrors as he hints a but thats where you as a consumer have to split BS from reality.
There is a difference in foams as far as quality, reaction to weights, support, comfort etc. Too bad anyone buying one of these does not spend some time in a foam factory and see how its made and get the skinny about foam.
As I have mentioned before on this forum buy comfort first and then think quality and features that you require not just what they want to sell you. Returns are no problem on most but just like warranty you are paying for it and they factor that into the cost of the product. The higher their return rate or warranty issues the more the cost.
I think its going to be interesting to see if this all foam craze keeps going or is just temp. Myself I was never a big fan of all foam but I guess the new generations love them but long term will tell. Foam is usually the first thing to wear out in a mattress so I am not sure how this is going to be in the long haul.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #69
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

We bought a new mattress over the weekend after looking around at all the boxing day deals and ended up just getting an equivalent mattress to the one we bought 13 years ago. It is the Simmonds Beautyrest Imperial and we picked it up from sleep country.

The crazy part to me was the haggling over a stupid mattress. Initially we just tried every mattress in the store without looking at the prices (at a few stores) and landed on this one. When we looked at the price it was $4600 which almost made me walk away from it. But it wasn't on sale so I asked the guy if they had any sales coming up or what he could do for this mattress. He came back at $2800 which, at the time, caught me off guard as I wasn't prepared for a 2k price drop. Then he started in with all the crazy sale pitch stuff; we only have 2 left in the warehouse, if you don't order now I won't be able to guarantee the price, I can have it at your house tomorrow but only if you order now, etc. It was really off-putting so we left.

Anyway, one thing he mentioned was that this was the step down from the Beautyrest Black which we tried and didn't like as much. But the Brick had a comparable Black on sale for boxing day at $1688. We went to a different SC location and they price matched and threw in delivery. In talking to the salesperson a bit they mentioned that this worked out to about cost + 5%. So after all that, we got the mattress we wanted for just under $3k off the original price.

And that's the part that I don't get, how is this a viable business model? No wonder bed in the box is becoming so popular. When your prices are all this high and the consumer has to get them down to this imaginary bottom line by haggling or price matching then I would assume most would just rather order online and exchange until they find a mattress or get a topper that works for them.

Actually maybe this should be in WRRGMG.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #70
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

/\
I’m just proud of you for stepping foot into the Brick. I can’t do it. The second you walk in there you’re absolutely hounded and followed around by desperate salespeople who cut through their own displays and straight arm one another to get to you first.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #71
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

We purchased a Layla bed in a box on Black Friday and we've had it for about 3 weeks now.

We were coming from a Queen size Sterns and Foster which was 11 years old and moved to a King size.

I found a great review site (i'll have to find it when im at home) that had 40+ reviews of beds and was probably as unbiased as I could find.

Watch 'Adam Ruins Everything' on his mattress episode and if you believe that stuff it's all just paid endorsments.

We chose this particular one as we kinda discovered that most of these are so similar it really comes down to preference so we factored in price/extras. We also zeroed in on this model as it has 2 firmness types if you flip the mattress over. We're going to flip it to the firmer side this weekend to see how it is.

This also had one of the better edge supports which we found was important for people like me who sleep right on the edge of the mattress so it doesnt collapse and roll me off the bed.

My advice is ... dont over think it. Do some research and buy the mattress you think seems best - everyone sleeps different.

Also, BestBuy.ca had the best deals on bed frames at the time (how bizarre is that).

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #72
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
We bought a new mattress over the weekend after looking around at all the boxing day deals and ended up just getting an equivalent mattress to the one we bought 13 years ago. It is the Simmonds Beautyrest Imperial and we picked it up from sleep country.

The crazy part to me was the haggling over a stupid mattress. Initially we just tried every mattress in the store without looking at the prices (at a few stores) and landed on this one. When we looked at the price it was $4600 which almost made me walk away from it. But it wasn't on sale so I asked the guy if they had any sales coming up or what he could do for this mattress. He came back at $2800 which, at the time, caught me off guard as I wasn't prepared for a 2k price drop. Then he started in with all the crazy sale pitch stuff; we only have 2 left in the warehouse, if you don't order now I won't be able to guarantee the price, I can have it at your house tomorrow but only if you order now, etc. It was really off-putting so we left.

Anyway, one thing he mentioned was that this was the step down from the Beautyrest Black which we tried and didn't like as much. But the Brick had a comparable Black on sale for boxing day at $1688. We went to a different SC location and they price matched and threw in delivery. In talking to the salesperson a bit they mentioned that this worked out to about cost + 5%. So after all that, we got the mattress we wanted for just under $3k off the original price.

And that's the part that I don't get, how is this a viable business model? No wonder bed in the box is becoming so popular. When your prices are all this high and the consumer has to get them down to this imaginary bottom line by haggling or price matching then I would assume most would just rather order online and exchange until they find a mattress or get a topper that works for them.

Actually maybe this should be in WRRGMG.
My understanding is that the markup of mattresses in the traditional model is pretty stupid. Sleep country you usually should be aiming for 45-55% off. It's a viable business model because people don't understand how things work, rush the purchase and don't get a good price which gives these companies a great margin.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/hagg...ess-2117327/2/

To be fair, mattress purchases aren't exactly something we do on a regular basis, so I guess their business model is more feast/famine?

I like bed in the box because the size it arrives in it eliminates part of the pain of having a mattress delivered.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #73
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Now i want to grab a comforter set from Amazon (don’t live near any good stores)

Any recommendations on a nice big fluffy set? Don’t want a duvet I don’t think, and don’t mind spending a bit more for something really comfy. King size
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #74
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Now i want to grab a comforter set from Amazon (don’t live near any good stores)

Any recommendations on a nice big fluffy set? Don’t want a duvet I don’t think, and don’t mind spending a bit more for something really comfy. King size
I thought duvet and comforter are relatively interchangeable terms? Kinda confused what you're asking for. But I also always get confused what is what when I shop for these types of things.

I am assuming you are looking for a blanket plus sheets and stuff? Are you looking at polyester/alternative filled, down filled or even weighted?

If you're going for inexpensive the Amazon basics one is usually a decent average baseline. Worst case scenario you can always retire the set to a spare bed (I always get King size, even for my Queen bed, because my wife likes playing blanket tug of war):

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07K6PSY2W/...pd_rd_wg=rPk6V

If it's too thin for the weather, I will use two of them. Using two also allows me the option to do things like cover myself with two if I'm cold and/or flip one down and go to 1 if I'm too warm, kinda like wearing layers and zipping up and down as the weather changes during the day.

I nabbed this comforter in King Size on Amazon a few years ago for around $100. I had previously purchased it at a price of around $140 really liked it. But at $100 I bought multiple, told my dad to buy multiple and a few buddies to buy multiple. Everyone has been happy with them since.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also purchased a 800 fill+ comforter on Costco a few years ago for $300 for a King size. It was around half off at the time from like $600-700 bucks. It was some Canadian Hutterite brand. It was definitely superior to the C&W in terms of warms and lighter weight, but I didn't necessarily feel it was 2-3x more expensive better. My dad disagreed and we traded comforters and he paid me the difference. He's said he really liked that C&W one, but he was happy to pay more for this one because he liked that it was warmer and lighter and this one allowed him to drop the night temps further (he loves to drop the night temps to like 18, I maintain something like 21 at my place). I think it was this one, but not sure:

https://www.amazon.ca/Season-Canadia...071XSTGH6?th=1

If you do go with a down comforter, I definitely recommend get a cloth comforter cover for it so you don't get tickled by escaping feathers. The Amazon basics bed sets are very solid and exceptionally good value IMO. Good balance of soft/silky, good durability and look decent. I've been using them for about 2-3 years now and other than one slightly defective sheet that pilled, the rest and the other set look pretty darn close to new. Easily above average and crazily enough, cheaper than many of the typical offerings out there. I'd easily say on a scale to average vs premium, it's like a BMW of cars for the price of a Honda Accord type of situation.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Another brand that's similar in quality and value to Amazon basics in general is Utopia. I haven't purchased any duvet sets/covers from them yet, but I'm planning on buying a set soon and it'd probably be in my top 3 considerations for sure.

https://www.amazon.ca/Printed-Comfor...s%2C198&sr=8-6

Some people complain about the blanket bunching inside the comforter cover though and that's because they don't spend the time to secure the blanket. I highly recommend using at least 7 safety pins to hold the blanket in place inside the comforter cover (4 corners, sides and feet). You don't really need it at the top, but it's up to you if you don't mind and like to rotate the comforter from time to time. Don't use basic safety pins with the squeeze on the edges though. Those are dangerous as they pop out relatively easy. I use these types with the pin pop out in the middle and these will never accidentally pop off.

https://www.amazon.ca/Safety-Blanket...506150&sr=8-30

No idea on weighted blankets. But I am contemplating trying one out.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #75
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Duvet to me is a down filled insert. Comforter has the “cover” built in

We had a down filler duvet with a cover before and had issues with the fill bunching up and then before you know it your sleeping with just the fabric covering you.

That C&W one I’ve been looking at lots but then shy away from. Kind of scared to go back to that again. But I may take it for a spin.

Your post was awesome so thanks
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #76
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any updated mattress shopping experiences - we started looking and it's a tad daunting to try to find good information - got some good tips through this thread already - just wondering if anyone has bought recently...
Old 02-16-2021, 11:31 AM   #77
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Any updated mattress shopping experiences - we started looking and it's a tad daunting to try to find good information - got some good tips through this thread already - just wondering if anyone has bought recently...
Hey man, try these guys: http://www.dormirbedandfoam.ca/. The beds are made in Calgary, so it's supporting local, but the best thing is they have a showroom in the NE so you can test all the different mattresses before buying. Prices seemed really good when I went a couple weeks ago. I'll be buying from them within the next few weeks.

I'm not affiliated with them or anything, FYI.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2023, 07:47 PM   #78
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump!

I've been looking at an Endy hybrid. Any new thoughts? I'd also like to hear from the people who were liking them and have now had theirs for a while; are you still liking it?
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote